Dog help

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by kswiss2783, Jul 14, 2007.

1. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

Whenever our Shih Tsu pup is under our bed and we try and get him out he growls and sometimes snaps back. Is there a way to stop it?

We took him to the groomer's today and she said when they tried to take him out of the cage, he tried to bite them.

I obviously do not want this behavior to continue. Any suggestions?

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Keep a leash on him and don't back away. When he growls and you back away, you're teaching him that growling = power. When he's under the bed and begins to growl, give him a quick pop with the leash and say "NO!". If you have to put a thick glove on. I would be willing to bet that if he does bite, that it will be a warning bite. He will snap and back away right? Do not become angry or frustrated, he will only respond to calm assertive energy. It's the same thing at the groomers, it's about who backs away first. The leader never backs away first. You have to out last him and you can't back down.

It's very important that any unwanted behavior gets corrected immediately. You cannot wait 1 or 2 seconds, it must be done now.

3. compassman

compassman

Excellent:thumbsup::agree:

I would also add it sounds like a territorial issue. A good idea is to section parts of the house off. It's bad to let a dog have to much freedom. If the dog feels it can go were ever it wants you will have territorial issues. You as a pack leader should decided were the dog can go and not go. Keep the bedroom doors closed. Using baby gates is also a good idea if the doors can't be closed. If the dog is getting let out side you go out side first then call the dog. Never let the dog jump on anything unless you let the dog up. You might have to live with a leash for a few days on the dog. I would also start crate training ASAP.

Feed the dog a good healthy diet

4. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

Some crate training might help until this is resolved too. The leash idea is a good one. Calm assertive energy as the earlier poster stated.

5. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

That too. :supergrin: :thumbsup: :agree: