close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dog for apt dweller

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Smiles007, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Smiles007

Smiles007

I am thinking seriously about getting a dog. I live alone and so think it would be nice to have a little four-legged friend around. However, I have the following concerns. First, I live in a apt. so space is an issue. Secondly, this fall I will hopefully be starting law school which means there will be times when the dog will have to be left alone for several hours at a stretch. If I did in fact get a dog, it would be through the SPCA or other shelter and breed or mutt does not matter. Any suggestions/advice on breeds or types?

2. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Bisenji(sp??) They are fairly small, very smart and don't bark.:)

3. gt656

gt656 havin' fun

first off - stay away from a vizsla - fantastic dog, but too much energy to stay inside.

i have heard bull dogs are quite the couch potato so it may well be suited for being in for a little while as long as it has been walked etc. first.

just my .02

4. BigMadDog

BigMadDog

If you like big dogs bull mastiffs (make sure you get one that doesnt slobber) make great apt dogs. They are lazy and will just sit around all day if you let um. Then when you are ready to play they are ready to go do that too.

5. 9jeeps

9jeeps

Try a Cat. Don't bark, cover their own poop, esily trained can be great companions if you're not a control freak.;)

6. FoxyC

FoxyC

Try this web site.
    http://www.petfinder.com
    Most of the animals are with foster families. You can get in touch with them and they can let you know if the dog is house trained, good with kids, barks at every little thing, etc. I found my dog there (he was on death row), just put in my location, and a few preferences and it poped up a ton of dogs in my area. Jax is the best dog I have ever owned.

If I remember correctly, the site also has Q&A about different breeds etc..

Also if you change your mind about a dog there are cats, birds, hamsters, snakes, lizards, etc....for adoption on the site.

Good luck with your search.

7. ALLINKEDUP

ALLINKEDUP

I have an English Bulldog, with me in an apartment. They are great for apartment life and don't require alot of exercise.

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

I like the Corgi for a small breed.

Big dog attitude and behavior in a small package. Good companion dogs.

9. westwindmike

westwindmike

Cat is the only way to go in an apartment if you are going to be away a lot. Put plenty of litter in the box and extra food and water, then leave for the whole weekend. The cat won't care! They like the peace and quiet.

10. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I have heard that (bnelieve it or not) greyhounds are good. As long as they get to run once in awhile,they are supposedly notorious couch potatoes.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I remember hearing that once before.

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Also, there are a lot of greyhound rescue places about.
    Do they have dog tracks in TX? if so, I guarantee there are some rescue places.

13. Glock_Nor_Cal

Glock_Nor_Cal

I just got a puppy and I live in an apartment. He's a purebred American Statfordshire Terrier. He's a great little guy, i know now a bit of what its like having a baby.;P ;P ;P ;P