close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dog Food Question

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by AirMountainMan, Nov 17, 2004.

1. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

I am getting ready to buy another bag of dog food and am wondering what the recommendations are for a quality food that will not cost me an arm and a leg?

Bad lost my job late summer...Good I landed another/better one shortly after the loss. Bad I am still doing some catch up with $ if you know what I mean. So if I can find a decent food at a better price it will help me for the next month or 2.

I have been buying the IAM but was wondering if I could save some money.

Thank you much in advance for the information.

Scott

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I switched to Purina my dog has done well for the last 8 mo.

3. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

AMM post;
    So if I can find a decent food at a better price it will help me for the next month or 2.

Well, usally the 'good stuff' like Canidade, Innova, etc cost around the $26 to $30 dollar a bag, Mostly because they do not contain By-Products, Beet pulp, etc.

There are Several ways to go about this;

1) You can Mix you'r Iams with another bag of dog food (In other words Mix the Iams with (let's say) Diamond Maitance--40lbs for around $15. - That's 80lbs of feed, for lets say $40.

2) Change dog foods- There are 'cheaper' dog foods that you can get, such as, Diamond dog food- Maitance $15 Premium-$19,

Kirkland Premium @ Costco cost around $18, Lamb & Rice (IIRC) $15

Sams club has Sportsman Choice Chicken & Rice- 44lbs for $20, And it's made from Real Chicken Meal.

If you are going to change them, for now, then this is what I would look into. Also remember that dogs do not take well to changes in thier diet, So once you get the feed you like, stick with it.

Also, In the long run, It's better (for you & the dog), to feed the BEST FOOD that You can afford. Dogs (in general), are what they eat, and feed has ALOT to do with how they turn out (health wise).

Right now, those 'cheaper feeds' would be about as low (In quality), that I would go.

I could have told you to go out and buy a 40lb bag of OL ROY, for $12, but that is about as benefical to you'r dog as FEEDING SAWDUST.

Later, Hardeyes

4. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

Hardeyes

I guess I didn't specify that I had some real reservations with the el-cheap-o brands. I was more wondering if the costco premium foods are as good as say an IAMs? Or if there are any alternatives as far as getting a good food at a better price.

I will try the kirkland premium and mix it with the IAMs when I get caught back up.

Scott

5. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

AMM, Well for around the same price I would go with Canidade dog food. The reason- If you look at the first 5 products that go into the food, you will find that they are Human Grade Chicken, Turkey, Fish Meal, along with Brown Rice- Which by the way is more easily digested with dogs, Along with a good amount of Omega 3& 6 oils.

This product retails for around $27.

I know people that have used Iams & Eukanuba, and Its a very good feed by itself. About the only thing that I don't really like about it is that it uses Corn & beet pulp, IIRC. Aside from that, It's very good for it's price range.

The Kirkland uses no Corn and/or By-products, (that is what my friend told me- A week ago), and he states It works well.

Another thing AMM, Because the Canidade 'Only' has 14% Fat, and it's Winter- You may have to use more feed, and/or add Flax Oil, or Corn Oil.

I Have looked at alot of different brands, And the majority of Mfgs offer only 2 choices low grade cheap dog feeds with alot of By-products, or the other alternetive, High priced dog feeds. Getting something In between, that won't kill you'r dog- (In the long term), Is the conflict that you have to go thru.

AMM, Right now you'r right at the $26 dollar range, and Iams is very good for that price, About the only feed comparable, that I would tell you to try (in good faith) is the Canidade- And only If you want to swich. Or else, Mix the Iams with a filler- that being Diamond and or the Kirkland.

Well, now all you have to do is choose ;g .

Take care, Hardeyes

6. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

Hardeyes

I am looking and it appears that Canidae dogfood is not available in my area. I looked at ther website and they appear to have a great food.

One thing I have to watch out for is wheat. I don't think my lab does well with dog food that contains wheat. The I IAMs does not use wheat.

I was fighing ear infections off and on very often and since I switched to IAMs and treated his ear with a solution I found on a Lab breeder website he has not had any problems.

So at the moment I have to be very selective. I am asking a lot here and I know that. If I can stay on this pace and make it through December I will be able to spend a bit more on dog food and people food for that matter.

Scott

7. hardeyes

hardeyes

Hello;

Hey don't worry about it.

If you'r dog is doing good on the Iams, Well, Then I would just try to stay with it.

I know some feed stores that have let there customers Pre-Date Checks, and take dog feed home that same day, Try to work out a 'deal' with a Feed store- Some will work with you. If you have shopped thier before.

I am not too up to date on dog feed---Cause I don't own any dogs.

I would see if I could work out a deal--If I was running low on dog feed, and or feed one time a day. You could buy a Measuring cup, and 'ration' you'r dogs feed also.

Good luck on the feed, and stay strong, You'll get over the hump, Just takes time.

Later, Hardeyes.

8. Slobberchops

Slobberchops WTF?!?!?

I don't think IAMS is very good. JMHO

I switch over to Diamond brand 2 years ago and she (see avator) loves it. I don't know if you can find it in your area, but it is cheaper than IAMS and I think it is a better quality food. I found it at Canine Commissary. I mix the Lamb and rice formula with the Low-Fat formula.

link to Diamond

http://www.caninecommissary.net/

9. A_Swede_17_1911

A_Swede_17_1911

I like the NUTRO brand, they dont use by products, they have different varietys, its not cheap but nor is it expensive. You can find it at petsmart, probably some other places like a feed store too. My dogs like it even though the try to eat one anothers food, its the same. They also seem to have less mess as well. Which I really like. I say try it out, its not as expensive as IAMS and its good quality chow.

10. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

i'm currently feeding my rottie canidae. he cannot tolerate beef or corn. i get it for $31/40lbs from a greyhound rescue in my area. before i found canidae so close to home, i was feeding him nutro natural. he did pretty well on it and it wasn't too expensive. when i got him from the breeder, he was on eukenuba and he had such bad gas, it was horrendous. so personally, i'd stay away from iams/eukenuba, but that's just because they use to many fillers for my liking.

:)

11. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

i feed my pup Purina....

my parents fed their first golden Purina, and she lived over 14 years. second one was fed some "high quality" expensive stuff, and she lived 9 years.

may or may not have had anything to do with it, but i have no reservations about purina.

i also give my puppy lean meats, some red meats, hardboiled egg once in a great while when i make them...generally table scraps that get put in her dish a while after dinner ;)

cottage cheese has wound up in there once or twice also...shes got a great stomach, nothing bothers her. actually, when i got her i gave her several different kinds of dog food at first to try to acclimate her stomach, mainly because i've had a few people tell me they switched brands because their usual was out, and their dog blew *** all over the house ;)

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

My pup likes his daily filet mignon medium rare, his broccoli lightly steamed and his bottled water at room temperature. Then he licks his butt.

I was feeding Iggy Solid Gold Wolf Cub - Great food, primo ingredients, but it cost a fortune and was pretty high residue (lotsa poop), and made him quite "windy" with a smell that could knock a buzzard off a crap wagon, and no matter how much I fed him, he was always a bit on the scrawny side.

Recently switched to Canidae (which is what the breeder uses), and he seems to be doing a bit better on it. Eating and pooping less, less "wind".

I went with Solid Gold initially because my vet said I should have him on a large breed puppy food, but the fat/protein %s were comparable with the Canidae.

BTW-Why vets push science diet so hard is beyond me. The ingredient list is no better than most of the junk food at the pet store and its darn expensive.

13. DEUCE-DOBE

DEUCE-DOBE Landshark&Sis'

Lets look at it this way... a PREMIUM all natural bag of food could run up to about $45. But should last sometime... now, buy a cheap brand same size bag... you're gonna get more nutrition out of the premium bag than you would in 5 other bags. Spend the $ up front with GREAT kibble, it'll save big $ down the road! ONLY buy dog food with at least the first 2 ingridients listed being meat/fish (and not 'byproducts').

My dobe eats "Wellness" ($45 for big bag) lasts about a month, give or take. The initial cost is a little shocking but his health, muschle development and coat show the difference.

14. cqb

cqb

I like Nutro foods-i have fed it for years with no negatives.
    i work with Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue, and it is amazing that we get some guys and gals in poor shape, but after a month or so on Nutro their coats are in great shape and skin problems mostly go away.
    I usually get a 44lb bag for about $28 at local stores.
    canidae is also a very good food, however i have had no problems with nutro and found no need to switch. also nutro has glucosiamine and condhrotin in it, which will help w/ joint aches and pains, however it is not a huge does in the food-if the dog has a problem, you will want an additional supplement like "pain free"
    cheers,
    Derek

15. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

Like Jaegergirl, I feed my Rottie Canidae. My Rott cannot tolerate corn meal. Actually, a lot of dogs have an allergy to it, and the owners don't realize it.

16. AirMountainMan

AirMountainMan

Well I have my lab does not do well with wheat. I found a great food produced by Arkat. It is $20/40lb. It was recommended by a breader.

The quality is better that the Iams but, does have some corn but is the 3rd for 4th ingredient.

Scott

Thanks for the imput.

17. Supernatural

Supernatural

With my pup, (will be a year old in Jan), I have feed him Iams since I got him at 8 weeks...you can find places to buy this food at a decent price...Stay away from Pet stores! If you hit up Wal Mart or Costco or Sams Club, you can get the big bag for a pretty good price...I did hear a story from the guy I got my GSD from. He feed his old male Iams for 2 years and then one time, studed him out and the person "borrowing" him swore he was feeding my buddies dog Iams and feed him something different, it twisted his guys and killed him so be very careful about switching food, bad things can happen...best to suck it up and stick with the same kind of food if you can make it happen...good luck!
    Ryan