close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dog food on a budget

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by tango3065, Jan 7, 2006.

1. tango3065

tango3065

For all of you who want to feed your k9 friends a good food but don't want to have to pay a arm and a leg for a food look into walmarts ol'roy high proformance dog food, (brown bag not the red). After spending about a hour looking and reading labels for a friend that wants to feed a good but don't have a lot of cash I found him one. ol'roy high performance specs-

Ol' Roy High Performance Formula

~Guaranteed Analysis:~
    Crude Protein, min........26.00%
    Crude Fat, min............14.00%
    Crude Fiber, max..........4.00%
    Moisture, max.............12.00%
    Linoleic Acid, min.........1.50%

~Ingredients from each bag:~
    meat and bone meal, corn gluten meal, ground yellow corn, soybean meal, wheat middlings, animal fat, chicken by product meal, brewer's rice, animal digest, salt, potassium chloride, Choline Chloride, minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc sulfate), Vitamin E, zinc Oxide, niacin, copper Sulfate, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12 Supplement, pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, menadione sodium bisolfite complex (source of Vitamin K), Calcium Iodate, D3 Supplement, calcium iodate, Vitamin A supplement, riboflavin Supplement, cobalt carbonate, thiamine mononitrate, folic Acid, sodium selenite

2. Akita

Akita gone

Also, I'd recommend checking your local Feed or Co-Op store- some of them carry the premium foods at Feed Store prices. Mine has Diamond Chicken & Rice @ $18.xx for 55#.

3. Luvman

Luvman

I've read more than once about ol' roy being "death in a bag" for dogs.

my dogs eat Eagle Pack brand super premium dog food. it's made with human quality ingredients. a 33# bag costs me about $25 but lasts just over 3 weeks feeding my 90# Rottie AND my 23# Mutt. and I'm feeding about 1/2 cup more per day than recomended for my Rott (she's a very high energy dog)

so basicly it costs me less than $8.50 a week to feed 113 Lbs of K9's and my vet was flat out amazed with my dog's structure, muscle tone, coat quality, and energy.

HTH but as always YMMV,
    Luv

4. Luvman

Luvman

a pic of my girls

5. HarlDane

HarlDane

This food has grains for 4 of the first 5 ingredients, and they split corn into corn gluten meal, and ground yellow corn. They do this because if it was listed as a singular ingredient, corn would be #1 on the list which looks bad when trying to feed an animal that should be eating mostly MEAT.

If you want an overweight dog with health problems, feed it a Grain based diet.
    IMO the benefits of buying a cheap food(saving money) are far outweighed by the money saved by having fewer vet visits and a longer lifespan for my dog.

edited for clarity.

6. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

Innova...Ain't cheap though.

7. hman

hman

My general rule of thumb (been working @ an animal shelter for over 2 years and general animal lover) is anything you can buy at your local Walmart/Grocery store should be left on the shelves.

;a

8. HarlDane

HarlDane

+1

9. screwman

screwman

I tried some ol roy once. Went in one end and sprayed out the other. That's called nondigestible protein.

Mike

10. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

Iams is all this dog's ever had. Breeder recommended that or Eukanuba. She took to the Iams better though, especially if you pour that "dog gravy" crap Iams makes on it.

[​IMG]

11. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

Please do not feed your dogs Ol' Roy!!! Quick story... several years ago, vets started noticing that dogs coming in for surgery or to be put down were building a tolerance to the chemical they use as an aenestetic. After a while they discovered what was happening... when some vet offices were discarding of the bodies of animals they put to sleep, they were going to cheap dog food companies. It turns out these dog food companies were putting the bodies (with the chemical used to put them to sleep)of the animals in the dog food for protein. The food with the highest concentration of this chemical... Ol' Roy! (Of course, they choose not to list that ingredient on the back of the bag.);i

12. forthehalibut

forthehalibut

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

IMHO, stay away from Ol Roy. I worked with the wife of a veterinarian in practice that told me about a dog her husband saw that was malnourished as a result of Ol Roy. He recommended a different diet and three months later the dog was doing well. The owner then went back to Ol Roy and was back six months later. He didn't understand that proper nutrition was the problem.

Now, saying all of that, we feed Science Diet to our two Cairns, but they love Ol Roy (milkbones) treats. They even give them out at our local starbucks...

14. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer

My gsd/pitbull likes the purina puppy chow. Its not bad and its kinda like bread not hard like others. She doesn't like the hard ones too much. I tried kibbles and bits and it went bad hardly being eaten. Get a small bag of each and let the dog decide what it wants to eat. You will have to throw away less money throwing away bad/rancid food. Being on a "budget" doesnt mean you should be cheap. Some foods are just filler. Do some reasearch on it from say a vet or a breeder and see what they recommend. Its only $10 or so for a 17 lb bag at wal mart and it lasts about 2 weeks. I figger if I want a dog (or two) I should have the resources to keep them comfortable and well fed even if they sometimes get a share of my food. No, not scraps I don't eat but a portion of it. They are not living garbage disposals.

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Soft food all the time is not good for a dog's teeth. If you aren't doing so already, I'd add some sort of hard or crunchy treats.

16. Marshhawk

Marshhawk

I agree. Diamond is a good dog food.I feed the green and yellow bag.I have to this is Packer country:)I have had very good results with it and have been feeding it to my Labs for about 5-6 years. Its not Eukenuba or Pro Plan but its a good food and I feel it supplies the dog everything it needs and then some.Dogs have plenty of energy.Their stools are a little bigger then some super premium stuff but not much and it doesn't cost anywhere near 80-90 cents a pound like some others cost.

I know several pro trainers that feed it to their dogs. These dogs are involved in field trials,hunt tests and hunting.
    The breeds are springers,labs,chessies and goldens.

If I was gonna feed anything from Wal Mart it would be the Maximum Nutrition brand. I believe thats what its called?

Bill/WI

17. Glock-em-all

Glock-em-all The Baby Sitter

I use the Sportsman's Blend" I get from my local feed store. Used to buy Science Diet but they seem to like this better.

18. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer

oh,they do. Its like dessert.and just like kids they sometimes want the treats before dinner. Of course they understand when I tell them they have to eat their meat before they get the pudding. Their look is priceless. That kind of food does have crunchy chicken flavored triangle shapes. The red ones that look like capt. crunch are the soft squishy ones. I figger when these start to get hard its time to toss whatever is left and get a new bag. They start looking at the food like its not very good about this time. I try not to get too much even if its cheaper else I end up throwing away the 'savings'. I also brush their teeth. :odie:

19. HarlDane

HarlDane

Like your puppy chow for instance...just filler.

Ingredients:
    Ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, brewers rice, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), pearled barley.....

20. 3 weelin geezer

3 weelin geezer

I don't have a bag right here but I will look. I thought I had seen the chicken be the first one not the cornmeal. Well, they get the boiled chicken any ways..from my plate.