close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dog diagnosed with Diabetes

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by mfackler, Feb 19, 2005.

1. mfackler

mfackler

My little dog Buddy (a 7yo Rat Terrier) was diagnosed as a diabetic today. We noticed he was drinking a lot of water and frequent urination. Took him to the vet and his blood sugar was 300. He is staring on 4U Humulin L tonight.

If anyone here has any experiences with this I have a few questions. My wife and I are fine with giving him the shots we are both paramedic and treat diabetics almost daily. It just seems too me one blood test is kind of fast to diagnose diabetes. Is that normal treatment for a dog or should we be thinking of a second opinion?

I also asked the vet about diet. She recommended we keep him on the same diet for now and we may change it later. Is this normal Rx for dogs? Again for people I think it’s normal to try to control by diet first. We have recently changed his food. We also have a one-year-old son who is learning to feed himself so of course the dog gets the “droppings.” I told the vet all this and she seemed to think it made little difference.

Like I said above we are fine with the shots if that’s what we have to do but I would prefer a more “holistic” approach. Are there any other options that any of you have had success with?

Lastly, this is kind of a trauma for me. He is one GREAT little dog! It breaks my heart to see him sick. Please try to have a nice thought for us. A prayer or two would be wonderful. I just had my 15 yo cat put down a few weeks ago. This is really tough.

Edited to add one more question

I'm assuming I can reuse the needles and syringe. How many times did anyone reuse them?

Thanks

Mike
    &
    Buddy

2. Squid.HM2

Squid.HM2

you can test dog yourself to see if it is acute or chronic, if it happened after food change go back to old food or switch to a better food. ok now your a medic so what does this sound like: pt. is a 28 y/o(7 y/o dog) male c/o polyuria & Polydipsia. sounds like R/O DM. does he have noted ketoacidosis?

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Several years ago, a friend had a diabetic dog. They gave insulin shots daily. I don't remember her saying that they ever changed her diet though.

Is it normal to reuse syringes for people? I don't think so, but I don't know what all kinds there are out there. I would base that decision based on what is normal for people. I wouldn't want to do anything that might harm my pooch (or kitty ;f).

I would call around and ask other vets in my area about a second test. Or do you know anybody with a meter? Couldn't you test yourself a few times to verify? Or is people blood sugar and pooch blood sugar measured differently?

Now that I have completely muddied the water, I will shush :)

Oh, and I pray your fur baby is ok! ;w ;w ;w

4. mfackler

mfackler

Thanks everybody.

Squid.HM2
    Amen. Thats how we got him to the vet as fast as we did. We knew the S/Sx. The vet drew blood work so they were testing venus blood. Like I said his glucose was 300 not sure if they even tested for ketones? Should have told you this before but the "food change" involved going from cat food back to dog food. With two cats and one dog it was imposable too keep the dog out of the cat food so we just gave in. Now that we have 1 dog and one cat this is working better. I agree with the vet that the dog food is better. We may switch to better dog food. She recommended not making any changes in diet until we established a dose for the insulin.

MissKitty
    This was done by "lab" style blood work involving Venus blood. The meters you are referring to use capillary blood like from a finger stick. I'm not sure how you would get a similar drop from a dog. I'm not disputing the results themselves, it just seems odd to me to go from nothing to insulin in one big step. If it was me I believe there are other things to try in between. I don't know about dogs. I guess maybe there isn't. As fare as reusing the needles, I still need to do some checking. The party line is they can't be reused (for people) however I "think" people do reuse them. I'm not sure what if any danger it could cause. Injections like this are a "clean" procedure but still far from sterile. I'll do some checking. Thanks for your kind words.

5. Squid.HM2

Squid.HM2

well as for new needle every time i would, but my dogs mean more to me then some people. as a medic now many "people" have you given Narcan that use a new syringe everytime ;Q

6. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I think cat food is ok to give a dog. It is close to the same thing with Taurine added since dogs don't need Taurine. It may be more calorie dense though. If that is the case, maybe switching to a "light" formula would help?

Squid, I was thinking the same thing.... ;g ;g ;g

7. mfackler

mfackler

Thought you might want a little update.

Buddy got his first injection last PM. He did great and seems to be feeling 100% better! He slept all night didn't need to get up to do his business. I don't think this is going to be as bad as I thought. His second injection this AM went even better!

MissKitty: Yea the vet said the cat food wouldn't heart him but it has more protean then needed for a dog. He eats his dog food OK now.

8. Squid.HM2

Squid.HM2

think you need to watch carbs, as miss said lite food my be the ticket

9. hangmans joke

hangmans joke

my little girl china , has heart problems and mitral valve problems, she is on holstic herbs and etc , ive researched and researched. i think getting a second opinion is only way to go . reason being i took china to 4 different vets, including nc state vet school , which is one of the best in the country. i got 4 different responses;g ;g . i spent hours and hours online, talking with folks , and etc . just go with your heart and read and read ,and get as much info as you can , i hope all goes well. prayers sent from nc,

hj

10. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

My grandpa had a Doxie dog that got fat from scraps and got diabetes and my mom had to give her daily shots......

The vet put her on prescription Science Diet canned food......

How come your vet has not given you special food??? Check into it, it willbe more pricey, but that food is formulated with less carbs and fillers, and will work better with the insulin.....

Also.....do some searches on the web for diabetes in dogs......

I am watching my big boy Max my older Siamese. He is "thick".....probably more than 12 pounds and is getting alot of belly fat......I need to make him loose a pound or 2.....because this VERY reason of diabetes keeps coming back to me....and yes, CATS do get diabetes too.......and I would hate it.......

He is active with the kitten, wrestling and chasing each other, but I think his dry Science Diet food is just too fattening.......