close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

dog chest protectors

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by MrMunster, Nov 3, 2003.

1. MrMunster

MrMunster

I finally got out to hunt for a few hours this weekend and managed to get 3 pheasants, 4 quail, and 8 stitches all before lunch.

One of my labs ran straight into a barb wire fence and managed to slice herself open in two places. Each wound was approximately half an inch long and down to the muscle. Cost me $150 to have the vet come in 'after hours' to sew her back together.

Needless to say, I'm now investigating chest protectors for her. Anyone have any experience with the products that are out there?

This will be for field use, not water, so the neoprene ones are probably out of the question. Besides not being able to withstand the kind of country I hunt, I'm afraid that they will hold too much heat. The last thing I want to do is cause heat exhaustion in my lab.

2. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I have a friend that's a "hunting dog guy" that runs with those circles... trying to get a hold of him...

I do know that neoprene is probably not what you’re looking for.

3. davesglock30

davesglock30

i'm not sure where they sell them and how much they cost but the hog hunters here in florida have kevlar ones for there dogs so that the hogs don't shred there dogs. sorry i can't offer any other info on the post. from what i've seen with hog hunters that i know it's pretty easy to stitch the dogs up yourself. all the people i know carry disposeable razors, this stuff that is an anti-biotic/blood clotter and a needle and thread and they stitch them up right there in the woods.

4. MyT-FastDog

MyT-FastDog

http://lcsupply.com/store/flashcart.cfm

Here is a link for Lion Country Supply. They are a gun dog supply store out of Pennsylvania. I have ordered many items from them and have never been disappointed on price or service.

If I were in your shoes I wouldn’t be in a hurry to put a vest on your lab. Number one it sounds like a bit of a fluke accident. Also, I have not had much luck getting the vest to stay on a hard running dog. I have also had chaffing problems under the dog’s front legs.

Typically the vest is designed to protect a very short haired dog from briars. The situation you described would have most likely punctured the vest anyway. I would add a dog first aid kit to your hunting supplies and chalk this one up to a game-time injury. Hopefully the dog won’t miss too much of the regular season
    :cool:

5. turq

turq

I don't have any specifics but Dunns might have something. My germanshorthair's worst injury was a tear[1/8th"] at the tip of his ear. It bled onto his throat area and when the wife came back to the house with him it looked as if he had his throat cut. Ice two hours. clot medication is an excellent idea. Maybe you might get a tent maker to sew up a chest protector. Its a Lab! their tough enough for a stovepipe with leg holes.

6. MrMunster

MrMunster

Thanks for the info everyone.

neoprene: too much heat retention

kevlar: don't expect to encounter too many feral hogs up here so probably not worth the expense

stovepipe: too much soot to clean off my nearly white lab

suture kit: probably the way to go. If this was a fluke, I should be able to handle it next time. Between my friend who does small animal surgery and another friend who is a veterinarian, I ought to be able to pick up all of the necessary supplies.