Reactions: Sherlock913

·
Patrol Corporal
839 Posts
Reactions: bababoris

·
Patrol Corporal
839 Posts
Pepper spray is a good opening move. But be prepared for it to not work. In the time you ditch the can and and go for the gat, expect some chewing to occur.
One thing about dog attacks is that they happen with stunning and frightening quickness.

I was on random patrol one day and rolled up on a UPS guy being chased by a Rottweiler. We had been taught that if you put your baton in their face they would bite at the nearest thing to them. That was wrong. He went right around that and was steamrolling for me. I had my OC in my other hand and hosed him down. I guess it worked but not like I expected. He sat down and started licking the side of his snout. The UPS guy jumped in his truck (I had never seen those sliding doors shut until then). I dropped my baton and drew my sidearm. The snout licking thing gave the neighbor enough time to come grab the dog by the collar and drag him to a fenced back yard.

I didn’t need any more coffee for the rest of the morning.

·
Registered
13,897 Posts
Apparently comprehension is beyond your level...
So splain it to me Ken if I missed your analogy of pointing a gun at someone and and walking an unleashed dog.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
R e a l l y s l o w this time....I didn't say that. I'd stay and play, but I have to go talk to a post...

·
Registered
13,897 Posts
R e a l l y s l o w this time....I didn't say that. I'd stay and play, but I have to go talk to a post...
Again, tell me what you did say then? Maybe rephrase it and leave out the analogy for us simpletons. Oh wait you did do that but we just disagree.
So let's go back to your pointing a gun analogy, c'mon splain it to me. I am curious how I misinterpreted it. What part of the gun is the leash? How does an unleashed dog represent the use of deadly force or threat thereof?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Again, tell me what you did say then? Maybe rephrase it and leave out the analogy for us simpletons. Oh wait you did do that but we just disagree.
So let's go back to your pointing a gun analogy, c'mon splain it to me. I am curious how I misinterpreted it. What part of the gun is the leash? How does an unleashed dog represent the use of deadly force or threat thereof?

I think you have me confused with someone else. I never said anything about a gun.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Yeah I had a big Pit lick the stuff once. Still its better then nothing.

I have found as long as you dont feel fear "most" dogs will back off. Like dealing with Bears or Mountains Lions you just have to be the bigger and badder critter. Luckily I have an 85lb Hun that will take care of business and between the two of us we'll kick some butt.

I dont let anyone approach my dog and there are no petting sessions allowed. Its just not worth the chance no matter how well trained he is ; He's still an animal. And nobody should ever reach out to a strange dog, it should be the first thing you teach your kid.

I still have kids running up to my guy like He's Lassie while the parents "coo" about the pretty German Shepherd.
He is a beautiful shepherd! And if he can do that to a tree, I ain't petting him!!

·
Registered
13,897 Posts
I think you have me confused with someone else. I never said anything about a gun.
Yep, my bad. Apologies. I got you confused with 686Owner. In post 62, he made the analogy. In post 72, you weighed in when I questioned him about the analogy. Your point was indeed clear. I might disagree with it but it was clear. Maybe 686Owner will respond to splain his analogy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yep, my bad. Apologies. I got you confused with 686Owner. In post 62, he made the analogy. In post 72, you weighed in when I questioned him about the analogy. Your point was indeed clear. I might disagree with it but it was clear. Maybe 686Owner will respond to splain his analogy.
No big deal...although I did read thru the thread several times just to make sure...lol

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
Reactions: pgg00

·
AAAMAD
30,416 Posts
Pepper spray is a good opening move. But be prepared for it to not work. In the time you ditch the can and and go for the gat, expect some chewing to occur.
One thing about dog attacks is that they happen with stunning and frightening quickness.

I was on random patrol one day and rolled up on a UPS guy being chased by a Rottweiler. We had been taught that if you put your baton in their face they would bite at the nearest thing to them. That was wrong. He went right around that and was steamrolling for me. I had my OC in my other hand and hosed him down. I guess it worked but not like I expected. He sat down and started licking the side of his snout. The UPS guy jumped in his truck (I had never seen those sliding doors shut until then). I dropped my baton and drew my sidearm. The snout licking thing gave the neighbor enough time to come grab the dog by the collar and drag him to a fenced back yard.

I didn’t need any more coffee for the rest of the morning.

Aside from a gun, the only thing I’ve seen consistently break up dog fights is a CO2 Fire extinguisher. Seen some dogs turn tail from OC/Bearspray, others show virtually no reaction

Bears, Moose, Caribou, Dogs, they all want nothing to do with a big freezing cloud of CO2.

81 - 100 of 124 Posts