Dog Allergies

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by thejackbull45, Apr 8, 2005.

1. thejackbull45

thejackbull45

My GSD has allergies, he constantly licks his paws. Ive changed foods, I add Grizzly Salmon oil to his diet etc, etc. The only thing that works is Benedryl bit I hate giving him medication.

Any help??

2. zedsdead

zedsdead

Vets have access to hypo-allergenic dog foods. I had to put my bullet on those for about a year until his allergies cleared up some.

I still use a little benadryl now and then. Stops the "lick, lick, lick.." all day long.

3. k9barco

k9barco

How old is the GSD?
    Is there any scratching of the muzzle or face. My previous GSD developed allergies later in life and it turned out to be an allergy to wheat.
    My wife discovered this by reading "natural health care for pets" by Pitcarin & Pitcarin ( 2 vets who published this excellent book).
    I would suggest trying to cut out wheat from the diet; this is the simpliest thing to do, but you must find foods and dog treats that don't contain wheat. Almost all dog prducts do contain wheat, but ask you pet food supplier or vet of a list of foods that are wheat free.
    I wish I would have found this out before spending about $1000 on a vet who "specialized" in allergies, but failed to mention wheat.
    This may not be your dogs problem, but it's the easiest to try and it's where I would start.
    Once you take your dog off of wheat contained products, you should notice a difference right away.
    Dogs do lick their feet alot, especially if they are wearing down their pads.
    Let me know if you have any luck; my email is barcok9@aol.com
    Regards,
    Charlie

4. thejackbull45

thejackbull45

I am aware of the wheat allergies, hes been off it for a few years. He is 7 years old. Right now we feed him a single protein food.

5. G20man32904

G20man32904 Deceased

thejackbull45,
    What food are you feeding now and is it working? Shampoo?
    Flea preventive ?
    Absolute best food I have seen for Allergies is Solid Gold website . If you havent tried this food yet, give it a try. They make several different kinds with fish, bison, chicken or lamb proteins.
    Good Luck