Does your CCW...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by glockman23, Feb 8, 2010.

1. glockman23

glockman23

Grant you some leeway with the authorities in your experience?

I got pulled over last night. My tags were expired (I forgot to renew them). I didn't have proof of insurance with me either (my new card is in the mail). I was expecting a fix-it ticket, but the cop just ran my license and let me go.

I've gotten out of a couple of jams (I feel) because of my CCW. One time my friend and I were pulling out of the bar and got pulled over. I didn't realize my friend was too drunk and shouldn't be driving until he started talking to the cop and sounded like a drunk idiot. The cop looked at my CCW and said "If you had to guess, which one of you would be the better one to drive?"... looking in my direction (I wasn't armed because I had been drinking). I said it was me. He told us to switch seats and get out of there. Maybe because I'm obviously not a felon and am probably a reasonable, law abiding citizen (I am).

Anyone else have the experience of police officers kind of giving you the benefit of the doubt or cutting you a break because of your CCW? I don't expect or feel I deserve any special treatment. Just curious...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  2. Mongosafari

Mongosafari El diablo verde

It shows you have some responsibility in going through the training and paperwork to carry.
    No, no special pass.
    Sometimes, depending on situation, maybe a little extra courtesy.

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

In my personal experiences and those of friends it definitely helps.

4. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

I was considering getting a ccw until I recently found out that the sherrif of the county i live in here in colorado lists everyone who applies for ccw's as a "person of interest".

Other people who get put on this list include: convicted rapist or murderers.

Interesting. And once I found that out, I don't think I'll ever get a ccw until I move or find myself in the situation where I feel I may be in danger at some point (yea I know bad things happen in good places...)

edit: while I have no personal experience with this list of "person of interest", I don't feel like being pulled over, having your plates run and suddenly coming up as a "person of interest" is any good. If another coloradoan can shed light on this for me, that'd be great!

5. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Nope and I don't expect any! I'll treat the officer with respect and hope he does the same!:supergrin:

6. Price

Price

Havent persoanally had any contact with le since I have had mine, been a year and some change, but I would imagine it might get you the benefit of the doubt in certian situations.

7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Expired tags, no proof of insurance, been drinking, and you're a law abiding citizen???

8. glockguy101

glockguy101

:rofl:

the man has a point

9. glockman23

glockman23

Yeah, whatever. Re-read the post if you care to.

Wasn't drinking and driving (and was unarmed) in the first situation, in the other I didn't have the proper documentation (wasn't drinking but was armed). I'm sure it's happend to you too at some point. Get a life, ect, ect.

10. glockman23

glockman23

Nevermind, I changed my story. I'm a ****ing OUTLAW. I ride around in a stolen car, drunk, high on PCP, armed to the TEETH. :upeyes:

11. SoFlaZ06

SoFlaZ06

So wait, A cop will know you have a CCW by running your tags?

12. rd3

rd3

Don't worry, if you get stopped just show them your CCW and they'll be so impressed they will let you go.

13. rd3

rd3

In Kentucky yes but I think its different in other states. I asked when I picked up my permit and they told me I was already tagged.

14. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Depends on your location. In some states if they run the tag they will know that the registered owner is licensed. In some states they will not know this.

My states (IN and GA) are of the type where the LEO probably will not know.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

No. Regarded no better or worse than anyone else.

16. glockman23

glockman23

Not in MI. They will if they run your license, but in MI you have to present your CCW card along with it and say whether you're armed or not.

17. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

:rofl::rofl:

I haven't had any encounters with the athorities since having my CCW, and hope not to. If I do though I don't expect I'll get special treatment because I have a CCW, the officer may look at my situation a little different because of my CDL though. I have always treated officers during traffic stops with a lot of respect though and it has always turned out well for me (for the most part).

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

If my online conversations w/ some IN LEO's are correct... Your License to Carry status will not come up when they run your plates. When they run your license however, it apparently comes up that you have a permit to carry a weapon.

IGF

19. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It can come up, it depends. What I know for sure: Every LEA in Tippecanoe county uses the same system. If, say, you encounter a LEO in Tippecanoe county and present your LTCF they will make a note of that fact in the system and from then on if any LEO/LEA in the county runs your info, they will know. And they don't have to have your DL in hand, they might run your name because you are the registered owner of the plate they just run.

It is also possible that if you apply for and receive your LTCF through a LEA in the county they will enter that info into the system, though I cannot confirm that.

I was at one time an intern with the Lafayette Police Department. I have first hand experience using this system, entering data, witnessing officers as they ran info in their cars, etc.

20. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

Most its ever done for me is get a cop to ask me if I was a cop when I said "my CHP is in my wallet and I'm armed" before reaching in to my glove box for my registration.