Does this Roundup tie to cancer thing have legs?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Boo Berry, Jan 24, 2020.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

So far we're living longer than ever, with nearly every measure of quality of life being better than ever.

2. Tvov

Tvov

3. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

You missed my point... I was asking if you think that herbicides are leeching into our ground water? And if so, will they present a problem in the future? Out of sight, out of mind. But the chemicals may still be there. If so, it will have a definite effect

4. CBennett

CBennett

Thats surprising a toxic weed killer could be bad for you.........

OGW likes this.
  5. PBCounty

PBCounty

Maybe they are leeching into the ground water. If so, they've been doing so for years and without palpable consequence. More people have access to the cleanest water ever and crops seem to be doing just fine. Just saying...the trend says "So what?" for now.

6. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

I sprayed tons of Round Up as a young man. My friends did also. We are all old whisky drink'in cigar smokin liars and live stock wranglers. The Lord will round us all up some day. I doubt hiring a Bottom Feeder/Lawyer will save us.:cowboy::kidding:

PBCounty and Ramjet38 like this.
  7. Dog Soldier

Very good point. The damn lawyers will have you beating your wife and shooting the neighbors dog. All they have to do is claim pretty women and old dogs cause the measles. :cowboy:

larry_minn likes this.
  8. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Been vaccinated, so send them my way. LostWife probably wouldn't tolerate competition.
    We both love some old dogs.

Dog Soldier likes this.
  9. legalsten

legalsten

Also the stuff the State used seem to be stronger . Let's just say , at times a jug would run off and it was some great stuff .

Detectorist likes this.
  10. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

As did my father, an otherwise very healthy man. Dad was diagnosed at 54, at which time he could still kick my butt on the basketball court (I was a fit 34yrs old). He died at 62 of pulmonary fibrosis from the radiation done as treatment. MD Anderson told him in 1998 that Roundup was the cause, and I firmly believe they are the world's foremost expert on cancer.

11. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Doesn't pay to be a farmer anymore .... :(

:crying:

12. Dog Soldier

Pepper their behinds with number 7 shot as they clear your front gate.:cowboy::kidding:

13. racerford

racerford

Farmers should stop using it and all other toxic chemicals. That way the people of the world will not die of cancer by the 10s of thousands a year in their 50-90s. Instead they can die of starvation by the millions in their 0-20s.

Seems like a logical choice.

14. AbeFroman

AbeFroman

In my profession I know a lot of people who have relied on Roundup (Glyphosate) and used it daily and in large quantities their entire lives. Going back to when the product first came out. Decades of continual use. No PPE. No cancer.

Glyphosate, including that marketed under the roundup name, isn’t really made by Monsanto anymore. Vast majority, if not all of glyphosate is being manufactured by other companies for Monsanto.

As far as the application goes, you are ingesting glyphosate, whether you have actually sprayed it or not. Example: It is sometimes sprayed directly on wheat to help dry it out before harvest.

I live in zone 5 and a trend back starting in 2009 or so was golf courses converting fairways to native, lower maintenance warm season turfgrass varieties. These large areas of beautiful turfgrass require fewer inputs which means less chemical use and lower water demands. Everyone wins! These fairways and warm season rough areas also get blanket sprayed with glyphosate in the early winter when they go dormant to control weeds and volunteer cool season grasses.

Any product rated to control aquatic weeds or cattail in ponds, lakes, waterways or wetland areas is glyphosate based. Diquat is an example. The rated, approved purpose of “diquat” is to control aquatic weeds. Phragmites is a common noxious weed that can take over a wetland. The control for this is a glyphosate containing product.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

No doubt the fewer chemicals we use the better. They can interact in ways we know nothing about.

I bet alcohol consumption kills many more people than Roundup does.

rotorhead1026 and paynter2 like this.
  16. Dog Soldier

Before fertilizer, herbicide, insecticide etc humanity starved to death for centuries. Now fat folks feeding on a Big Mac complain about having too much to eat. :kidding:

paynter2 and larry_minn like this.
  17. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Just reading first ones. It's a heck of a lot safer then many other weed killers. Which is part of the problem. When it first came out some dealers drank a bit to prove how safe it was.,

It was safer then most. A accidental exposure did nothing short term. Ester 24D would take skin off, many others you could feel reaction in minutes. Those I use PPE mask, gloves, boots. And clothing in wash solo, me into shower after use.
    Roundup just washed my bare arms. Compared to many normal environmental chemicals it's not one I worry about. Dry laundry soap effects me much more. I used to use @60 gallons a yr. Monsanto, and generic once patent done.

DukeNukem likes this.
  18. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Actually that’s not the mode of action of glyphosate. It inhibits production of an enzyme in the electron transport chain in the photosynthesis process which makes susceptible plants unable to produce their own energy. Non susceptible plants are modified genetically to use a different photosynthetic pathway.
    Diquat is a different chemical all together though there are formulations where it is mixed with glyphosate.

Paraquat and 2,4-d are much more dangerous than glyphosate and if you golf or have lawn care you are exposed to 2,4-d.

Right of way herbicides are usually either a 2,4-d, triclopyr, or Tordon product. Mostly because they are trying to control brush but not leave bare soil.

BigMoneyGrip likes this.
  19. DukeNukem

DukeNukem

Atrazine, which is a preemergent herbicide for corn and warm season grasses, is persistent in soil and is susceptible to leaching. I believe it has been restricted in Florida because the sandy soils there really speed up the movement of it. It was used a lot on golf courses as well. Thing is roundup took over because of its safety and low environmental risk. I see these lawsuits and the controversy over roundup much the same as alar and apples in the 80s. Much ado about nothing.

larry_minn likes this.
  20. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Atrazine 4L is nasty stuff. I inspected a field. I noticed white residue. It was a terraced field. Tiled, big ditch at bottom I could see entering local river.
    I asked the agronomy expert. “What was sprayed? How much?” He says “3 lb acre atrazine”. Ok fine. (At that time, type soil 4 lb acre max labeled rate) Then he adds “the landowner didn’t think it was killing the weeds. So he hired a different group to spray 4 lb per acre”. This was a investment farm by some city folk. “If a little is good...”
    That’s where the fun started. Seems in a week it got 7lb acre. Highly erodible land going into waterway.
    Here is the thing. Farmers want to make money. Every knows you balance things. Spray just enough to control most of the weeds. Spray is priced like drugs. $46 a oz. 2/3 is per acre,
    Roundup breaks down fast. 10 days after spraying it’s almost completely broken down.

paynter2 likes this.