Does this Roundup tie to cancer thing have legs?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Boo Berry, Jan 24, 2020.

1. PBCounty

PBCounty

Call me a little skeptical. It resembles the latest hysteria feeding frenzy.

Rotn1 and Cmacc like this.
  2. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

There's Roundup spraying...

[​IMG]

And then there's Roundup spraying...
    [​IMG]

And then there's me mixing up 2 gallons a year to dribble on dandelions from 4 inches away. I don't even spray the stuff. Oh, and I'll paint it on poison ivy every few years if some pops up.

Rotn1 likes this.

3. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Estimated agricultural use in pounds per square mile.

[​IMG]

Chui and Cmacc like this.
  4. papershoot

papershoot

I bought a big jug of the concentrate back in the 90's, have used is sparingly, and still have some left. I use it to kill a few types of vines and trees that sprout back from the stump or roots. Not worried about it.

Cmacc likes this.
  5. racerford

racerford

Drinking water in sufficient quantities will kill you.

just because some things are poisonous in sufficient quantity, doesn’t mean it will cause cancer when exposed to it over time. Carbon Monoxide is poisonous in sufficient concentration, but you live bathed in small concentrations everyday, all day.

life is risky, no one comes out alive in the end.

Cmacc likes this.
  6. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I remember reading about a study in the 80's that said mother's milk and peanut butter caused cancer.
    The article didn't specify if they had to be consumed together (that would be interesting...) but I pretty much stopped worrying about that stuff at that point.

LostinTexas and Cmacc like this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Right... It's the ambulance chasers vs the capitalists.

Cmacc likes this.
  8. BigMoneyGrip

BigMoneyGrip

I have a friend who works for the local power company. For 30 years he was on the crew that made sure the ROW's were clear. Last year he came down with the cancer likned to Round Up. Glyphosate kills plants by causing the cells to grow at an uncontrolled rate. So basically, it gives cancer to the plant.

Chui and davethehiker like this.
  9. PBCounty

PBCounty

We had Erin Brokovich's law firm roll into town about ten years ago and try to convince everyone that we all had cancer. They setup offices in shopping centers, rented tables at community festivals / car shows, went door to door, the whole bit. They hung around for a few years telling us all that every cancer related malady was caused by nearby Pratt & Whitney as well as nearby "big sugar" and "big citrus" filling the ground with various chemicals.

When they came to town, one of their poster children for victimhood that they used in all their marketing was a poor local police detective, a family man, who died of cancer caused by these evil corporations. The thing is I knew the guy, and I knew his family. He never slept a night in the house he owned in the so called "affected area." He lived a number of townships over. He had purchased that home for his young children and his ex-wife to live in.

After doing their lawsuits for a while, they moved on and setup shop in another town up north somewhere where they went after some other companies for the same thing.

I'm a little bit jaded when I hear these cancer scares.

larry_minn and Cmacc like this.
  10. davethehiker

davethehiker

Check my math.
    $10,000,000 award divided by 50,000 complainants = $200!
    That's before the lawyers take their cut. Ya, I have used the stuff and I have lymphoma but $200 is not worth my time and no amount is going to restore the years I lost fighting this cancer. I'll pass.

Chui likes this.
  11. E.Bar

E.Bar

Well, don't know if there is anything to it or not, but I do know my Father-in-law farmed all his life and sprayed a lot of Roundup. He died on non-hodgkins lymphoma. Well in truth he developed the non-hodgkins lymphoma, he died from the treatment he received for it.

Chui likes this.
  12. davethehiker

davethehiker

Let me guess; they used "bendamustine."
    That drug did kill a good friend of mine as soon as they gave it to him to "treat" his non-hodgkins lymphoma. It darn near killed me when I fighting the same cancer. I'm now on a different drug and doing well.

pAZ Ron, Detectorist and Rotn1 like this.
  13. Cmacc

Cmacc

ROFL

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.html

JohnBT, Tvov and BigMoneyGrip like this.
  14. Rotn1

Rotn1

I still do it.......

I lost I dog to Lymphoma and became suspicious.

Lawyers claim a link.
    Doctors I have spoken to are not convinced.
    I would think there would be a lot more verifiable cases if there was a link.
    I have no f’en idea

15. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

It is always a trade off; the risks versus the benefits.

GMO/Roundup crops have probably saved many millions from starvation but it brings an increased risk of disease such as cancer, Parkinson's and perhaps even Gluten allergies.

Bread gives me heartburn these days so I avoid it. Is this due to me getting older or has the product changed? Whatever, I am eating less bread.

I also do not use weedkiller on my lawn. I could feel the irritation in my throat when I used to apply it. I use a string trimmer and cut the grass short.

Just my opinion. Do what is best for you.

Chui likes this.
  16. Rotn1

Rotn1

Agree ..... and it makes the boo bees sticky. Not good

17. racerford

racerford

My comments were really directed the inference that it can’t be harmless if they won’t drink it. I won’t drink mineral oil, but that doesn’t mean it would be unsafe to do so.
    They banned Saccharine because it caused cancer in rats at an equivalent of like 1000 cans of diet drink a day over an extended period of time. I am not sure that a reasonable connection. I am pretty sure if you drank that many Cokes a day, you would die of something over that same timeframe.

18. ray9898

ray9898

I have seen no scientific link between the two. Over 75K people get diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma yearly, it is one of the most common cancers at around 1 in 40 for men. Of course, if you go through those patients you can find a sizeable number who were exposed to Roundup, hamburgers, twinkies or whatever you are looking for.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    larry_minn, Detectorist and PBCounty like this.
  19. Paul53

Paul53 MAKE HATE WRONG AGAIN!

My 2 cents worth.

IIRC Roundup is banned in Europe for fear of it being a carcinogen. Offhand I have no reference of this, would have to google it.

Old saying in healthcare: "If you live long enough, you WILL get cancer."

I used several gallons of RU trying to get rid of tumbleweeds a dozen years ago. I have no proof.

As of last month I'm 3 years cancer free.

I'd gladly welcome a hundred or two $.

20. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

A friend used to operate an agricultural sprayer for his father. IIRC he sprayed Atrizine. Like Roundup it's another herbicide. I asked him if it will break down or seep into the water table. He didn't know.

That was many years ago. I have since wondered if those chemicals are slowly leaching downward into our aquifers... Someday everyone may be at risk of cancer form herbicides. Better living through chemicals eh?

OGW and Paul53 like this.