Does this Roundup tie to cancer thing have legs?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Boo Berry, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Fair lady, your chariot awaits.

I used to mix the concentrate with water in a sprayer, and literally blow through 8 - 10 gallons a year. I did that for 11 years before finally handing over the reigns to my landscaper. My yard is big, and I despise weeds.

Today I see news of yet another lawsuit. I'm beginning to feel slightly uneasy about this. Any'all Roundup junkies?

Bayer faces fourth U.S. Roundup cancer trial in Monsanto's hometown
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bayer-glyphosate-lawsuit/bayer-faces-fourth-u-s-roundup-cancer-trial-in-monsanto-home-court-idUSKBN1ZN0D9

(Reuters) - Bayer AG (BAYGn.DE) is set to face a fourth U.S. jury trial over allegations that its Roundup weed killer causes cancer, with four cancer patients in the hometown of its agricultural subsidiary Monsanto scheduled to begin making their case on Friday.

The lawsuit marks the first multi-plaintiff trial in the litigation over whether glyphosate, Roundup’s active ingredient, is carcinogenic, and is the first trial outside of California. It is being held in St. Louis, where Monsanto was headquartered before Bayer bought the company in a $63 billion deal in 2018.

Three consecutive juries found the company liable for causing cancer with damages of tens of millions of dollars awarded to each plaintiff. Bayer is appealing those verdicts.

Court-appointed mediator Ken Feinberg has put the number of Roundup cancer claimants at more than 75,000 while Bayer said the claims it has been served with in court were below 50,000.

2. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I was diagnosed with Lymphoma several years ago. Grew up on a farm and took many accidental Roundup showers over the years. Out of curiosity I called one of the attorneys specializing in this situation. Unless you have some sort of proof of extended exposure, they don't want the case. I don't even have purchase records from the 1970's.

Rotn1, treg and Bill Keith like this.

3. Boo Berry

Boo Berry Fair lady, your chariot awaits.

Knock on wood, I'm not actually interested in this from a legal standpoint, but rather just a piece of mind view. I used to use it far more than an average home owner, and wind was never a deterrent for me, so I breathed in lots of the mist over the years.

Rotn1 likes this.
  4. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

One more benefit of not caring what my yard looks like or what my neighbors think about it.

5. amd65

amd65

While at Kent State in the late ‘70’s, I did a summer on the grounds crew.
    One of the tasks I was given was to fill a five gallon bucket with Roundup crystals. No gloves, no mask, just scoop it out of a 10lb bag with a filthy scoop.
    Then I would walk parts of the campus, sprinkling the Roundup in sidewalk cracks. For miles. I’d be sweaty, and that stuff would be on my hands.
    I remember laying down in bed at night, and I could still see those white crystals in the bright sunlight tumbling down.
    So yeah, those ads do get my attention.

6. rj1939

rj1939

IG Farben..............bringing good things to life.................quite a history.

I'm pretty sure that spraying Round Up on corn and soybeans is going to prove to be a bad idea. Not sure how long it will take for this to be figured out.
    Most grain that is tested, shows RU in it.

Intolerant, Chui, Wayward Son and 2 others like this.
  7. Bill Keith

Bill Keith

You have cause to worry. Products like Roundup have a cumulative effect on your immune system and often take years to manifest symptoms. Sort of like tobacco smoke and lung cancer, COPD etc. You might not get it but look at the folks that are gone because of it.

Chui likes this.
  8. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

But how does one prove exposure?

9. Cmacc

Cmacc

I say it’s BS. My opinion is based on some reading and on knowledge of the anti-corporate, anti-big agriculture, anti-chemical leftist movement and also the money grubbing legal industry in this country.

I know some corps have been bad actors at times but I don’t buy into the “everything man made is bad for you” mentality. I’m skeptical by nature and in this one I’m skeptical of the link being sold in courtrooms to layman juries.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-science-behind-the-roundup-lawsuit/

Intolerant, cheygriz, jame and 7 others like this.
  10. Cmacc

Cmacc

To answer the OP question....if you love what Round-Up and other glyphosate based systemic herbicides do to make your life easier and more efficient you may well lose this product in the end.

There is a litany of products that were falsely assumed to be bad or blamed and were wrongly forced off the the market.

Intolerant, larry_minn, Rotn1 and 4 others like this.
  11. Tvov

Tvov

Notice that all the "cases" that Roundup "loses" are trial by JURY. As far as I know, there is no scientific evidence that Roundup causes any of the stuff the antis say it causes - and it has been studied for years, actually decades. You'd think something would turn up by now.

Lawyers in a jury trial have it easy attacking Bayer / Monsanto - big, bad chemical company knowingly poisoning the little people just for profit. A few hundred million won't even hurt them!

Cases I've read about that went to a trial with just a judge (I don't know how that all works) did not win when presenting scientific evidence - because there is none.

I am certainly against needless use of chemicals, but the scare mongering about Roundup is almost worse than global warming.

cheygriz, Rotn1, E-2-E and 7 others like this.
  12. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

How much misery does trial lawyers cause? They will destroy anything to take money from companies that hire workers. :dunno:

13. First shot

First shot

OP, I’ve had about exactly the same amount of exposure as you...I’m not concerned.. I just don’t believe that any product that dangerous, with such little exposure, could still be marketed...Government is inefficient and sucks, but I believe they do get a few of the basic health protections right...for those with much much more exposure, some testing for symptoms probably would be wise... As for the monetary part, I’ve no doubt that some in the legal system will benefit from it...

14. legalsten

legalsten

I know a guy who sprayed thousands of gallons when working for the state hwy . dept. with no problems at all .

I spray 50 or 60 gallons a year . Electric 8 gallon sprayer on the tractor and not worried at all .

Rotn1, Cmacc and treg like this.
  15. Flying-Dutchman

Flying-Dutchman

My view is anything poisonous to small living things will still be somewhat harmful to larger organisms.

No sane person will drink it even those who say it is harmless.

Chui likes this.
  16. fx77

fx77 CLM

Statistical correlation does not prove causation
    Just remember the flame and burn for Silicone Breast implants and collagen vascular disease. Studies disproved it, but after many settlements from class action suit were concluded.

Cmacc and Boo Berry like this.
  17. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

it is bull**** lawer payday crap.

Dog Soldier, Rotn1, Cmacc and 2 others like this.
  18. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I use the concentrate and have had it all over my hands many times. Then we find out it causes cancer. SMH!
    Then the blood pressure medicine I took for 12 years is removed from the market for causing cancer.

Something is gonna get me one day!

19. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

When you pass away at 95 (RIP) your family will find lawyers to sue every company on the planet for causing your untimely demise.

Cmacc likes this.
  20. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

I'm not sure it has been proven to cause cancer.
    It hasn't been proven not to.
    The $10B that is being set aside for claims, now and future is probably less than the cost of proving a non issue. Even apple pie has been accused of causing cancer.