close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does this G26 need to be looked at by a gunsmith BEFORE shooting again??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pinkertonTJ, Jan 3, 2010.

1. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

Ok this DOES NOT LOOK GOOD for G26. I field stripped it today just to clean it up a bit, and noticed what it looks to be where the guide rod is actually cutting into the frame when its shot. In two different places. One as you can tell in the pics is thru the plastic and into the metal. Should I have this looked at or what?!?! I have had it for about a year and never saw it, but never looked either. Thanks for your help guys!!! :wavey:

Attached Files:

2. tango44

tango44

Make sure that your Guide rod is seated in place to avoid this problem.
    Just put in the right place and you can shoot again.

3. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

See I done that too I placed it in correctly up against barrel, Racked the slide three times, field stripped again and it looks like the guide rod slips down to the second little step of the barrel? Maybe the spring is too tight or not tight enough?? IDK

4. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

^ what i was thinking

5. k80clay

k80clay

Looks like a one time thing when you (or somebody) didn't put the end of the rod in the right place when you assembled the pistol, or it slipped when you assembled it.

The end of the recoil spring assembly doesn't move during the action of the slide moving - it stays tight against the frame near the takedown bar (otherwise it wouldn't be working at all), so it can't be 'scratching' the frame like in the pics.

Don't worry about it.

6. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

Right I bought it used actually from the orig. owner. I mean it never misses a beat and never hiccups at all. I just didnt want it blow the rod and I would really be screwed then, (safe than sorry) haha

7. k80clay

k80clay

Nevermind - I see what you're talking about. Change your recoil spring assembly. Looks like the larger coil is rubbing against the frame a little in recoil. Weak spring? Bad assembly? Torque from the rifling? I'd change the spring and not worry about it still.

Could possibly just be a bad mold job since it doesn't really look like it's really being chewed up by something.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  8. k80clay

k80clay

I thought you were talking about the little scratch in the bottom of the dust cover.

9. k80clay

k80clay

I'm sitting here looking at mine, and I can see metal going up one side, but not on the other, so I'd go with the mold job since mine has less than 200 rounds through it.

10. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

so you think I should just invest in a SS guide rod? I have heard good things about them. My 19 dont have this problem. just seems weird

11. mixflip

mixflip

Here is what my G26 looks like. After doing alot of searching...it seems its a normal thing but if you have the time I'd get a pro's opinion just so you can come back to GT and report it.

[​IMG]

12. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Your frame is fine and normal.....don't worry, go shoot! :)

[​IMG]

The scratches showing in the top box are caused by improper assembly as others have said.

The metal thing showing through the frame in the bottom box is the lower 'rung' of the front frame rails, it's common and harmless for this to show through the polymer. The two rails are a one piece unit that's placed in the mold before the polymer is injected.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  13. k80clay

k80clay

No SS guide rod, looks like everything is well.

14. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

I got the same mark on my Glock 26. Thousands of rounds through it, got it in 2004 - never a failure. Several other friends of mine who have the Glock 26 also have the same mark.

I wouldn't worry about it. But if it makes you feel any better - get it looked at.

15. pinkertonTJ

pinkertonTJ 9/12 Groupie

Yeah I most likely will not worry about it!! Would miss it WAY TOO MUCH if i left it w/ anyone! lol Thanks again for all the advice, makes me feel better about it now.

16. G36_Me

G36_Me

1) The behavior you describe is what the Glock is designed to do. You will always have to 'reset' the guide rod after disassembly.

2) As to the gouging of the frame. Although I am a Glock armorer, I'm not experienced enough to say OK. My feeling is call Glock and ask them. My Glock has no such gouging.

Regards and Happy New Year

17. GSU

GSU

My G26 have almost identical marks. It's normal, scratches are result of improper assembly and metal protrusion is normal due to nature of polymer injection process.

18. 2nd2none

2nd2none

My G27 looks like that. I posted a pic of it a while back with concerns about it too. Everyone said to just shoot it as it was fine. I called Glock and they said they didn't know what I was talking about and to send it in and they would look at it. I never did, I figured it was a waste of time. I think everyone is wrong about the guide rod being installed wrong. I fully seat mine properly when ever I put it back together. I think it's just from recoil of the pistol moving the guide rod around.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  19. SCC

SCC just me

it is fine shoot the hell out of it !!!!!

20. 2nd2none

2nd2none

Here is a pic of my G27 she is about 9-10yrs old...I don't shoot her a lot anymore, I have maybe 3,000rds through her. You can even look on the side of the frame to and see it's worn through to the metal, and it even has a crack above the big worn spot, looks like the polymer is starting to flake off. This appears to happen to probably most sub compact Glocks
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010