close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does the US army carry Glock in Irak now??

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GlockHoshang, Mar 26, 2003.

1. GlockHoshang

GlockHoshang

Are the american forces in Irak armed whit Glock sidearms?? If so..in what caliber?

2. JBull

JBull

As far as I know, the Beretta is still the issue weapon. The military really doesn't like pistols that don't have an external hammer. That is why Glock wasn't even considered during the last military trials. Some special units are carrying Sigs or HKs.

3. GlockHoshang

GlockHoshang

But in the gulfwar, they had glocks...why?

4. yrone

yrone re - member

Any pictures? or news sources? I wouldnt doubt that some soldiers decided to cary thier own sidearm haha. That last picture that was posted with the guy who had his finger in the trigger gaurd, all those guys were carying berrettas.

5. bayerta

bayerta Former Marine

I remember reading an article in G&A back during the Gulf War. I believe it stated that some pilots had asked thier command if they could purchase personal firearms to replace the issued .38's they had then.(the M9 wasn't fully fielded yet.) I also know many Marines that asked and were permitted to take personal firearms with them. Although times have changed, I am sure that it is the same situation now.

6. dw35

dw35

The finest Special OPs guys, the Navy Seals are using the Glock 17.

Support Gaston

7. glock27

glock27

It's Iraq:)

8. Irfan

Irfan Millennium Member

Do you have any proof for that state? The last time I checked "The finest Special OPs guys" were carrying a Sig Sauer P226 or HK SOCOM pistol. ;)

9. vinnier6

vinnier6

i wish it were true, but no us military soldiers, airmen, marines or seamen are carring the glock, and no, you cant take personal weapons with you to war....

10. SpoonyLuv

SpoonyLuv Fugitive

I was watching the coverage on CNN and heard one of the reporters mention one of the squads (I do believe it was some special forcess) carrrying Glocks. It struck me as odd because I had never heard of US Military using them before.
    However - These Journalist prob don't know a Glock from a pointy stick, so go figure.

11. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Officially you are correct. In practice though, there were many soldiers in the last Iraq "conflict" who brought their own personal sidearms. I know some of them personally. I'm sure there are many who are doing so this time too. Hell, I would. Wouldn't you?

12. BJ Grunion

BJ Grunion

Not in Sweden. :cool:

13. CZ100B

CZ100B

To media types... any pistol is a 'glock'... any long gun is an 'assault rifle'...any tracked vehicle is a 'tank' ... any navy ship is a 'carrier' etc. etc.

;Q

Jeremy

14. Manny78

Manny78 Crazy Mountie

The only I've seen on them were 1911, Beretta, SIg 226 and H&K 23...

15. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

You have that right exactly.... I have heard zero glock military use....

16. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Correct ... m-11 m-9 and the 1911 are still in use. The marines just did a huge re-furb to make 1911's from every spare useable part they had as they prefered the 45 and the single action. The marines did this with there own gun folks ... I would have to see if I could find the brand they were using for new slides and frames and replacement parts ...

17. DAVE RICHARDS

DAVE RICHARDS

In the first Gulf War a whole squadron of Air Force pilots went out and purchased G-17's out of their own pockets. SOF forces may pick pretty much whatever type of weapon they want. Some have and do carry Glocks. Usually the G-17. It is not standard issue though.

18. FraudCop

FraudCop

The Navy SEALS carry Sig 226 and S&W 4" 686s. The Army's specops unit that doesn't exist at Ft. Bragg carry 1911 Colts and clones. Many, many real deal SEALs and Army SpecOps Operators buy their own Glocks and carry them as unauthorized.

19. Jumper

Jumper

Yeah I'd like to but a big problem for the standard grunt isn't taking his personal weapon to the war (which I doubt any commander allowed)but taking it home afterward. Not allowing personal weapons makes good sense if you think about it. The Army's supply chain is stocked with NATO spec ammo, 9mm, 5.56mm and 7.62mm etc. If someone wanted to bring their own sidearm, a Glock 20 for instance, that used non-NATO spec ammo the army would then have to supply him with 10mm Auto bullets, magazines, parts etc. An unnecessary complication to the suppply chain. After the '91 gulf war, the army went to great lengths to make sure no soldiers brought back any war trophy firearms. Vehicles and cargo pallets going back to the US after the war were searched routinely for any unathorized weapons. The only weapon you were allowed to possess was your issued weapon. One of the Staff Sergeants in our unit supposedly smuggled a small pistol back to the states in the air filter of a truck. But I never saw or heard of any others bringing back anything other than their issued weapon.

SOF?! Whatever they want!

20. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

This is a bit off-topic, but I've always felt that all soldiers in the US military should be issued a sidearm. I know that it would be expensive, but it really makes sense to me. This would be the biggest reason why I would want to take my own personal sidearm -- I know that the military probably won't issue me one unless I can demonstrate some "special need". I would think that being a soldier is a special need. But what do I know...