Does the Shotgun have a place in civilian home defense anymore?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mr Meeseeks, May 25, 2020.

1. H@zmatt

[email protected]

most wml are bright enough ( depending on the size of your property ) to throw enough light in the low ready to id a target. You can try this technique yourself with a handheld in your home. people should probably practice responding to a situation that might require an armed response anyway. Point it at the floor rather than directly into a dark area. You shouldn't have to unintentionally flag a family member.

personally, I leave a light on in the living area. In the instance someone were to force their way through either my front or patio doors. They'd be backlit while the bedrooms hallway would be dark. ymmv depending on your home and where your family members are in relation to you .

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  2. OXMYX

OXMYX

AR .223 if you live on a ranch and have coyote/wild dog problems.

9mm carbine for the home. 30 rounds with choice of Rail light / laser / red dot

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

You don't have to point a light at something in order to see it.

4. 0311INF

0311INF

I also leave some lights on but can't guarantee that they'll be enough to ID a bump in night. A wml is insurance, may or may not be necessary...but it can also blind the target and project light well away from the house lights if required.

mike from st pe likes this.
  5. jbourneidentity

jbourneidentity

IMHO, the 12-gauge shotgun has a place for HD, but I think the AR is superior for that job. Here are my reasons why:

1. Ballistics. A 50 or 55-grain ballistic tip 5.56 load is much less likely to overpenetrate standard home construction materials when compared to 12-gauge buckshot. The tests are on YouTube if you would like to watch them.
    2. Capacity. The AR is clearly superior with its 30 round magazine and sustainability. If in a rural area 30-45 minutes from the closest LE, the AR makes great sense.
    3. Training. The shotgun may be easy to use for those of us who grew up with them and continue to train with them, but a pump shotgun is harder to use efficiently than a semi-auto AR for folks who do not train consistently. When I trained police recruits a few months ago on the AR and shotgun systems, the ARs were much easier for them to understand and to shoot well. When they shot pump action shotguns, even after much familiarization and dry drills, their handling was unsure and many of them became frustrated with the shotgun.
    4. "Keeping the shotgun gassed up." Onboard round count awareness is critical with a shotgun. Constant topping off is required to keep the shotgun in the fight, especially in a multiple suspect engagement scenario. I can't tell you how many times I've seen students drop a hammer on an empty shotgun chamber because they didn't keep up with their ammo state.

All things considered, I believe the AR to be superior to the shotgun for HD. The only area I can think of where a shotgun might be better is if a person lived in a blue state with an anti-gun slant. A shotgun's use in HD might be easier to defend in court than the "evil black rifle."

6. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Sheepdog

One (or two) sure does hold security on my farm, if that counts as home defense.

7. GlockerBill

GlockerBill

Those are all good logical well reasoned arguments in favor of an AR over a shotgun and I cant really poke holes in them. It's just that, hey, I like my shotgun.
    My scattergun is downstairs within reach. I think it will get the job done. If for some reason I dont think it will, I will hoof it upstairs and grab my Robinson XCR, close enough to an AR in my book.

[email protected] likes this.
  8. slym2none

slym2none

A light not mounted to the weapon can also blind a person temporarily, and now you have done a defensive move and not pointed a gun at them.

I have found my mom in the den, the living room, and behind a chair (literally) before, in the dark, and I am damn sure not going to point a weapon at her, and a regular flashlight served that need well.

And yes, twice since I have had my gun, and it was in my strong hand, pointed down the whole time.

9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

This is a thread about shotguns. Good luck running a hand held light and a shotgun at the same time.

10. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

I have both AR, and SG available to be deployed if needed. I prefer my Moss 500, 18.5 in bbl, loaded with 00 Buck. It has been dependable, easy to operate, and sure to bring a stop to home invasion.
    I did add a small adapter and Surefire light mounted. The AR has a laser/light mounted as well.
    Unsure how either would be used in dark without those. My LEO training was with SG, and 6 shot revolvers....upping to Glock 22s. We trained later with AR15s.
    The Moss 500 was a standard as well as REM870s. I had both, but liked the top mounted safety on my M500.
    Good luck on your choice. Im pleased with mine.

11. slym2none

slym2none

The conversation went off on a temporary tangent. Pardons.