Does the Shotgun have a place in civilian home defense anymore?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Mr Meeseeks, May 25, 2020.

1. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

We know a 12 GA pump action shotgun has put down a lot of bad guys over the years. I’ll pose a simple question. Assuming you have an AR 15 with quality ammo, what does a shotgun offer that a rifle lacks?

ETA, my recently cerakoted shorgun I posted in another thread. I think this thread has helped me mentally justify investing some time in shotgunning in general.
    32238227-4423-44DB-8658-823B0A6CFCD8.jpeg

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  2. Trench Sweeper

Trench Sweeper On the day of your birth death began stalking you

KY where the taxes are as high as half the people
    I think so. Myself in the small confines of most houses I would prefer a shotgun myself or a pistol. However, a shotgun is great for shooting down hallways or stairs. But for now it is a opinion. First time someone comes walking up my stairs toward the bedroom in the middle of the night I will be able to answer this question from experience.

glock1097, jk_226 and MCCM like this.

3. evlbruce

evlbruce

Only in places with awful gun laws.

dkf likes this.
  4. Pn3455

Pn3455

I really think the AR has taken over as the primary long gun for personal defense. However, the shotgun still has it beat on one aspect. The ability to change loads on the fly to vastly different projectiles. Not that most people will utilize this feature in a home protection gun.

snowbird.40, Teecher45, PRE-K and 3 others like this.
  5. jmohme

jmohme

I would choose a shotgun over an AR for defense of a home intruder.
    I dont even own an AR or plan on owning one.
    I do have a handgun and a shotgun within reach as I type this.

BoBo522, jame, alwaysshootin and 9 others like this.
  6. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

I would suspect age and ability to maneuver has an impact as well as our view of what self defense means.

Long ago, long arms.....rifles and shotguns were sold or gifted to others. Today a truly defensive posture finds handguns the choice, and fewer distractions to maintain.

snowbird.40 and Doc Holliday like this.
  7. -JCN-

-JCN-

I could see my wife being more effective at hitting a target under stress with a 20 gauge over an AR. Especially if she was only able to get one shot off.

8. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

I do and have shotguns in two rooms ready as well as an AR.

B C and Lockback like this.
  9. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Very fond of my ARs and believe they are great for defense, particularly out at the ranch. However, for me personally, in the house in town I would prefer either my Glock or my Mossberg 12 gauge with the 18 inch barrel. It is the old "Depends on the situation; Depends on the individual."

10. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Shotguns have a larger effective pattern when using shells with birdshot or buckshot. Especially at close range. Also more efficient for a moving target.

alwaysshootin, snowbird.40 and jmohme like this.
  11. skyfall

skyfall

The famous home defense expert,Joe Biden states that all you need is a SxS shotgun and two rds. of birdshot. His expert opinion is to be considered in all defense circumstances.

12. rich52us

rich52us

I Think a shotgun is still very effective in an interior or urban setting, especially if backed up with a handgun. It may also be a better choice for less experienced shooters. It is also legal in more places. Although I have several ARs and AKs, my KSG is my go to long gun for in the house.

13. ACE31

ACE31

The above is where the short barreled shotgun shines in room/cqb style clearing. I have carried both daily for the past 22 years on duty. The M4 has precision, range but over penetration characteristics. The shotgun lacks long range but has forgiveness in accuracy if the operator is using buckshot (meaning the buckshot will still be devastating if operator's point of aim is off) as spread will get the bad guy.

The shotgun may not be #1 anymore but it will always have a place in LE or home defense.

Filhar, glock1097, VIS07 and 6 others like this.
  14. First shot

First shot

Give me OO Buckshot or give me death!!...(apologies to Patrick Henry)

VIS07, snowbird.40, Teecher45 and 3 others like this.
  15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

The shotgun lacks "bullets" that will travel 5-6 hundred yards and possibly kill a neighbor 2 city blocks away.

If you "live out of town" a rifle can be handy for stoping a bad guy, who is a little distance away, but like in my case for instance, any of the about half dozen loaded shotguns I have around the house will put all the Buckshot pellets in the Bad Guy out to over 30 yards away.

And equipped with a good Laser/Light, the Buckshot will hit where the Laser Dot is.

Shop at night laser.JPG

alwaysshootin, VIS07, Lagamor and 6 others like this.
  16. CBennett

CBennett

I have both I think in my house im probably still grabbing my shotgun as when measured my furthest shot is about 22-25 feet in a line, id give the AR to the wife(or kid..well hes 21 this year so not a kid anymore i guess) as a backup

jk_226, snowbird.40 and dbuck47 like this.
  17. Gokyo

Gokyo

I like the idea of #4 buck shot. Sending two dozen .24 caliber pellets for each shot seems pretty effective.

#00 buck also seems pretty Effective with its nine 38 caliber pellets.

In both case the pellets are traveling at roughly pistol projectile velocity.

My shotguns maintain a fairly tight shot column within 3-10 yards. You have to aim.

I like that for the most part the shot is going to go where you aim it.

I think in most cases a shotgun could effectively be deployed to defend life and home.

My favorite personal defense shotgun in the FN SLP.

The FN SLP Mark I, has a magazine capacity of 8+1+1 (one in the chamber one on the lifter). It can easily fire 2 shots per second.

That translates into 18-50 handgun sized pellets at handgun velocities being fired every second.

18. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

It certainly does in my house. I’ve kept an 870 Police Mag in my bedroom for twenty years and don’t plan on changing it out anytime soon.

R_P_K_, Bus007, alwaysshootin and 6 others like this.
  19. CBennett

CBennett

well d
    well depends on distance..a few years ago I actually measured out shooting distances and I came up with furthest was about 25 feet and most were 15 or less. there isnt a lot of "spread" with any kind of SD round at that distance that said I DO like that the SD shotgun with 4-00 buck is like hitting a bad guy with a burst from a AR all with 1 pull of the trigger..more shots(if you did your part) on target, thats always good!

Now if I lived out of town and had a larger house or a yard I was going to investigate a noise in the back shed/barn///and id be shooting over 20 yards id take the AR..if I had a BIG house with large open sightlines id take the AR.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Only if your frame of reference is the mall ninja community. The shotgun is still the most effective for people who don't own coyote brown velcro covered "Molon Labe" plate carriers.

R_P_K_, BoBo522, slym2none and 16 others like this.