Does the Gen4 Glock now have a supported chamber?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Seawolf, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Seawolf

Seawolf

I just purchased a Gen4 G17 and was comparing it to my Gen3 G30 today. While looking at the barrels I noticed that the Gen4 barrel seemed to have more support around the case than the G30. Is this something Glock started doing with the new Gen4 barrels or do the Gen3 G17 barrels look the same compared to the G30 and G21 barrels?

I thought I stumbled across something new, but I wouldn't be surprised if I look like a total dork here. lmao

Here are some pics.

Gen4 G17 on right Gen3 G30 on left
    [​IMG]
    Gen4 G17
    [​IMG]
    Gen3 G30
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. Seawolf

Seawolf

Sorry guys I didn't realize until after I posted that I used one of my duty rounds in the G30 barrel so it didn't give a good contrast compared to the brass 9mm round.

This pick turned out pretty good. The Gen4 barrel isn't completely supported, but certainly more than the G30.
    Is this normal with all G17 or has something changed with the Gen4?

[​IMG]

One more comparison. Gen4 G17 on right and Beretta M9 on left. To me it looks like the Beretta and G17 have exactly the same spacing on the feed ramp.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

3. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

KaBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!

4. AustinTx

AustinTx

Glock never has had any problem with the 9mm chamber support, that I ever heard of. You can't compare 9mm and 45 ACP chamber support and arrive at any meaningful conclusion.

5. Seawolf

Seawolf

Ok so you are saying there is no difference between the Gen3 G17 and Gen4 G17 as far as chamber support?
    I dont have a Gen3 to compare this one to so that's why I asked.

6. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Your 9mm chambers seem to cover less than my Gen 3 40S&W
    [​IMG]

7. DPris

DPris

Gal I knew at a local agency blew out her Model 17 a few years back. The 17s have had their share of kabooms.
    But, to answer the original question, I asked it at a Glock armorer's class on Thursday & the answer was no change in support.
    And, can't compare apples & oranges with 17s & 30s.
    Denis

8. Seawolf

Seawolf

Ok, so it's no biggie then. False alarm. I thought maybe Glock snuck something new in there.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. Dogman 10x

Dogman 10x

Did I just hear KaaaaaBoom on a glock site!!!!?

I thought only the 45 & 10mm were unsupported in glocks?
    I did not know a 9mm glock barrel was unsupported?
    Have there been g19 kabooms???

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

As have 1911's, Sigs, revolvers (even mroe than autos), etc. - the big difference is that people who don't know much about guns look at a Glock and say "thet there plastic gun is gonna blow up" so they talk about it a lot more when it happens. Put bad ammo in any gun and it goes boom. I only know of one person I've even met having a Glock kaboom (and considering I work for an agency that issues more Glocks than than any other 3 combined government agencies in this state, that's a lot) had a kaboom on the same day/rabnge as a revpolver, both using the same brand of reloaded ammo (Master Cartridge). Luckily the Glock was not damaged, just a mag blown out - the revolver was destroyed.

11. DPris

DPris

I was not attacking Glocks. I was not calling them inferior.
    I was at that armorer's class because I wanted to be there, not because I had to be there, totally voluntary.
    I own five 17s, and they were not forced on me. I've carried a 17 in uniform. I kept my original-issue 17 from 1988 when I retired, and I had to push the issue when I did.
    In my opinion the 17 is the most dependable of all the Glock models.
    But, to ignore facts out of brand loyalty is irrational.
    They do occasionally blow, and yes- so do other brands.

My comments were in response to previous comments about whether or not Glock has changed the unsupported chambers on the Gen 4s, and about Austin never hearing about problems with the 17's chamber support.

Denis

12. Seawolf

Seawolf

Listen guys I didn't post this because I was concerned about the barrel chamber. Like the photo I posted the G17 chamber has the same depth as the 92FS I have so it's a non issue as far as I am concerned. I just thought maybe Glock had made a change and didn't advertise it.

I didn't mean to start another KB thread. Thanks for the input.

13. AustinTx

AustinTx

I didn't intend to get involved in a KB thread. Is that what I did, I didn't think so. I rather liked the pictures showing various chamber support.