Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy my first ever gun...have it down to a g17 or a g22...its going to be for home defense and a range gun. will not be for carry.

question is which is better for me?
does the g22 really kickback that much more over a a g17

thanks for the help

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
Im about to buy my first ever gun...have it down to a g17 or a g22...its going to be for home defense and a range gun. will not be for carry.

thanks for the help
G17 would make for a fine first pistol.....you won't regret it.

+ ammo price.

·
Registered
805 Posts
There is definitely a noticeable difference. The 22 has more muzzle flip, but once you shoot the 22 and get used to it, it shouldn't bother you. You will need to train on any pistol you buy that you will use for self defense.

You can't go wrong with either pistol though.

·
Registered
380 Posts
There is definitely a noticeable difference. The 22 has more muzzle flip, but once you shoot the 22 and get used to it, it shouldn't bother you. You will need to train on any pistol you buy that you will use for self defense.

You can't go wrong with either pistol though.
+1 but, I'd say go with the G17

·
Banned
1,448 Posts
Go with the G17 just for the price savings in ammo. Althought the G222 is also a fine weapon sysytem if you don't worry about ammo prices. The G22's recoil is snappier.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Go with the G17 just for the price savings in ammo. Althought the G222 is also a fine weapon sysytem if you don't worry about ammo prices. The G22's recoil is snappier.
I want a 222.... that sounds cool
:wavey:

·
Big Member
565 Posts
If I had it to do over again I might have gotten the 21 instead of the 22. I've read only good things about the .45 recoil.

·
Atomic Dawg
1,027 Posts
I'd get the 17. The ammo will be cheaper plus I'm just partial to the 9mm. Have not shot the .40, but from what everyone says, it's definitely snappier. People talk like the 9mm recoil does not exist, there is definitely some recoil there as well.

·
Registered
173 Posts
There is a noticeable difference in the recoil between the two. The 22 has more than the 17. It is not extreme, but different.
From my own experience I have become a better shot with the 22 after getting the 17.
Shooting the 17 allows me to focus on target acquisition and trigger control without worrying about recoil. Then when I shoot the 22 those habits carry over and I generally shoot better. Additionally it is important to have the exact same trigger set up in both guns so that there is no need to worry about when the trigger is going to break.
I would not trade either gun, I like them equally well.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Get the 22, then get a 40-9 conversion barrel from Lone Wolf and some 17 mags, and you're shooting both calibers, and it will also allow a straight barrel swap to a .357Sig.

I bought a whole G20 just to put the top on my SF, now I have 1 frame, 2 uppers, and can shoot 8 calibers thru them.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
if you're really set on .40 cal, but uneasy about the ammo prices, you could always get a 22 and a 9mm conversion barrel, learn the basics/plink with 9mm before you start to hone in on the .40.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Best thing to do is goto the range rent a G17 then a G19 and a G22. There is nothing worse then wasted money on a gun you dont like.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Best advice here.

Best thing to do is goto the range rent a G17 then a G19 and a G22. There is nothing worse then wasted money on a gun you dont like.
Second best is:

"Get the 22, then get a 40-9 conversion barrel from Lone Wolf and some 17 mags, and you're shooting both calibers, and it will also allow a straight barrel swap to a .357Sig."

You have to shoot them to know what works best for you. There are too many sizes of hands to give a definitive answer just because it works for me.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts

thanks for the help
Let me put it this way. I tried to like my G22 and G23. I really did...but after fifty or so rounds through either of them, my shooting hand felt like it had been spanked with a wooden paddle! The G22 and G23 had to go.

On the other hand, Glocks in .45 GAP and .45 ACP are quite pleasant to shoot for long periods. The G17 and G19 in 9mm are no problem either.

I have no use for the .40 S&W in a Glock platform...which means that I have no use for it at all.

·
NRA Life Member
65,593 Posts

thanks for the help
If this is your first gun, the 17 is probably the way to go. if nothing else, you can afford to shoot a 9mm a lot more than a .40 for the same money.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i shot both, i did notice a difference. my grouping was way better with the 17. My instructor thinks i should get the 22 b/c he thinks its better for home defense.

i must add that ammo prices are not a factor for me, and i really dont want to mod my first gun. i cant make up my damn mind...****.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
i shot both, i did notice a difference. my grouping was way better with the 17. My instructor thinks i should get the 22 b/c he thinks its better for home defense.

i must add that ammo prices are not a factor for me, and i really dont want to mod my first gun. i cant make up my damn mind...****.
Hitting your target with a 9mm will be more effective than missing it with a .40. :whistling:

Or, get a .45 GAP/ACP Glock.

·
Large Member
768 Posts
I love my Glock 22C. I have a standard non-comped barrel for it as well. The recoil is "snappier (read muzzle flip)" with the standard barrel.

I also have a Sig P6/225 and CZ-75 compact in 9mm. The 9mm round definitely doesn't flip as much, but I enjoy shooting both. I've been wanting to get a 9mm conversion barrel for it (the Glock) for a while, but keep picking up new guns instead.

So, I guess I'd say shoot them both if you can, and decide which one calls your name. The other will probably come calling sooner or later as well!

·
Build the Wall
10,257 Posts
That's a trick question. Only you can answer it.

Absolutely NOT! The 22 was my first Glock, but I wish I had bought the 17 first. BOTH are very easy to shoot with standard ammo (I love WOLF!!!).

PS - I have the 17 now though!!! IT ROCKS!:rock:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts