close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does the 4th Gen offeral any real advantage?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rug357, Jan 31, 2010.

1. rug357

rug357

Does the 4th Generation pistols offeral any real advantage over previous 2 or 3rd generation pistol? Any disadvantages?

2. picturethis

picturethis

Depends if you like the way it looks compared to the older models. The recoil spring setup isn't a big deal on the G17, but it could very well be a deal breaker on the G22, which has more recoil.

3. mteagle1

mteagle1

Advantage: Ability to change grip size slightly. Different texture.

Disadvange: Trigger bar drag is some guns. Stuck with factory recoil spring.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. rug357

rug357

IMHO the recent RTF and the new 4th generation Glock are about as ugly as the 1st generations. I think 3rd generation Glocks are about as good looking as Glock can get.

5. xray678

xray678

Give it time. Aftermarket suppliers will come up with recoil spring options very quickly. And folks like Mr. Vanek will figure out how to improve the trigger. But I'll be sticking with the 3rd gens.

6. HexHead

HexHead

I find the 4th Gen feels better in my hand than the 3rd Gen. I think the finger grooves are less pronounced. Between the feel and the double spring setup supposedly reducing felt recoil, I might need to get a 4th Gen G32 when it becomes available to go with my 19 & 26. :supergrin:

7. LRB2GZ

LRB2GZ

The short answer: IMO, no.

I don't have a problem with 3rd Gen grips, recoil, or mag release. I'll probably keep buying Gen 3s until I don't have a choice but to buy a Gen 4.

That being said, I'm not trying to bash the gun, I just like what I like. I finally got the chance to handle one yesterday at a gun store. The grip texture feels a lot better than a RTF2 model, but I still prefer Gen 3.

8. mixflip

mixflip

It should be obvious if the "grip" has changeable back straps...of course it has an advantage. A g17 with a few mm's of adjustment to a smaller or bigger size = advantage to me anyway.

9. moncoacp

moncoacp

How many size grips are there? S&W has 3, sm, med, lrg. How small is the smallest of the new Glock grips compared to the current grip? Is the interchangeable grip available on all models?

10. hatidua

hatidua

Absolutely! They are 'new', and therefore must be better!

Additionally, there are more moving parts and that is most assuredly a good thing. The backstrap used to be part of the gun, now you can take it off and fondle it.

They changed the guide rod that has worked well for so long to a new design. It therefore must be more reliable than all those jam-o-matic Glocks of yesteryear.

I'm on the hunt for my 4th Gen3 G19 before everything goes to these fugly gen4 guns. Sometimes, companies just can't leave well enough alone...

11. mixflip

mixflip

Glocks have been evolving for years why the big complaint about this evolution? They very 1st Glocks didnt come with Glock rails, SF picatinny rails, finger grooves or night sights or RTF or subcompact models, but today they do in some shape or form.

What do people fear more than death?.....CHANGE!

12. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

I'm interested in knowing if the smallest grip on the 4th Gen is smaller than the 3rd Gen grips?

13. ceptor781

ceptor781

If they offer a Gen4 G36 it would be a huge improvement for me. I love the idea of the G36 but it's just too long in the grip(front to back). Fingers crossed!

14. 1108VA

1108VA

The grip on the Gen 4 is the short frame size. The medium is the regular size.

15. 1911austin

1911austin Senior Member

The smallest grip on the Gen 4 is to have no back strap installed. It is basically a G17 or G22 "SF" frame if you will. Adding the med back strap makes it the same as a gen 3 grip. Installing the large strap makes it a tad larger the the Gen 3 grip.

16. pangloss9

pangloss9

I haven't handled one yet, much less shot one, but I think there are some real advantages. "How can he say that?" you ask. Here's how, if you look at what people pay to have done to their Glocks at the custom shops, what do you see? You see grip reductions, stippling, and some extended mag releases. Glock built all of these things into the 4th gen guns. As for the recoil rod assembly, I don't see that it's substantially different from my G26 (but I could be mistaken). I've also heard that they reduced the overtravel on the trigger a bit (but again, I could be mistaken), which is something else you could do aftermarket.

If a decent percentage of the people who buy Glocks don't perceive these changes as improvements, the custom shops would not stay in business. I'm completely happy with my 2nd gen G17, but I think I'd be just as happy with a new 4th gen model (except I'd miss my Warren Tactical sights). Hopefully I'll get to find out.

17. Little Joe

Little Joe

Has anybody actually fired a Gen4 G22 in a side by side comparison with a Gen3 22? What was the difference in perceived felt recoil?

18. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I went with an M&P instead. :scared: :couch:

19. Patrolman175

Patrolman175

I have fired the 4th Generation, honestly I couldn't really tell much difference. I have two 3rd Generation Glock 22's and a well used Glock 23 and have fired alot of rounds. Maybe I'm just use to the recoil!

20. Chui

Chui

That.

If it can bring more people into the Glock camp I'm all for it. The Gen IV fits as well as my M&P. Of the two there is more parts and support for Glock.

I wish Glock had spent more effort on the grip panels but I don't need the additional panel grips (as much of an afterthought as they appear to be) as the frame circumference reduction fits me very well indeed.