Does scent lock clothing work?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by emt1581, Jul 6, 2005.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm curious just how good scent locking clothing is?

Does it work for hunting?

How do you think it would fair up against a bloodhound/police dog?

I'm not planning anything, but hypothetically if a hunter was lost/injured and they sent dogs after them...would the scent lock clothing (assuming the hunter was wearing it head to toe) prevent the dogs from picking up a scent?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Does it work? Yes. To an extent. Problem is the carbon can only contain so much scent, once it gets full it's full. There is a really good article about this online, I'll try and look for it here in a bit when I get time.

As to the dog question, I have no idea.

3. BlackBelt

BlackBelt

For years I just watched my wind direction when I deer hunted. That seemed to work pretty well.
    I noticed that wind seems to 'swirl' in the woods though, so last year I tried the ScentLok camo, in addition to the BaseLayers scent control undergarments, and Scentlock face mask and gloves, as well as LaCrosse Alpha rubber boots.
    Man, there was a HUGE difference in the amount of deer that came right up to me, and walked right underneath my stand!
    I don't think that it was coincidence.
    This year I'm all ScentLok.
    Just my experience.

4. Roger C

Roger C

Deer will bust you out based on scent more than anything else...yes, it really works. Most of the scentlock clothes are "revived" by running them through the dryer -- hot air clears out the carbon filter. It doesn't replace your other good woodcraft, but it is a great tool.

5. MDT

MDT Glock21Love

I agree w/ the others. I have had some very up close encounters while using Scent-Lok (and treating my scent BEFRORE putting on my outer layers). I try to watch the wind, but I feel "nekkid" if I'm not wearing my carbon!

MDT

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm still curious to know how it would stand up to search/police dogs. I guess it comes down to who's sense of smell is better a deer or a dog (depending on the breed)?

Thanks!

-Emt1581