Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Build the Wall
10,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching for standard floor plate for S&W Shield 45 mags and can't seem to locate any. Am I just not seeing them or does S&W not sell them separately from the mags? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

TGG

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
S&W sells the mags as they come with the gun. There may be other aftermarket companies that sell them, but S&W is pretty set in how they do things.

·
Build the Wall
10,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
S&W sells the mags as they come with the gun. There may be other aftermarket companies that sell them, but S&W is pretty set in how they do things.
I have not seen the magazine with the flat base plate for sale anywhere, only the magazine with the extended base plate to make it a 7-round magazine. I recently bought 5 of them From Midway USA because they are on sale for $23.99 each. The problem I had was that they were falling out of the gun when I was shooting it! :-(

TGG

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have not seen the magazine with the flat base plate for sale anywhere, only the magazine with the extended base plate to make it a 7-round magazine. I recently bought 5 of them From Midway USA because they are on sale for $23.99 each. The problem I had was that they were falling out of the gun when I was shooting it! :-(
It's true that 6-rounders are gone from all front-end outlets like Brownells and Midway. But they are still plentiful at eBay. S&W has them in their official store, at least for now:
http://store.smith-wesson.com/webap...57839_757837_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

If you're swapping bases, remember that springs are different between 6 and 7-round magazines on the .45 version.

I drop mags sometimes on Shield 45. But in my case the size makes little difference. I'm thinking about adding a fence around the release with JB Weld.

·
Registered
32,255 Posts
Been searching for standard floor plate for S&W Shield 45 mags and can't seem to locate any. Am I just not seeing them or does S&W not sell them separately from the mags? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

TGG
If they're following their usual business model, it may simply be the newness of the model, what they have available for retail parts inventory that's not needed for daily production, and where they're getting the magazines and parts.

For example, when the M&P 40c first hit the market, I tried (as an armorer) to get some extra mag springs. I was told that at that early time in the model's roll-out, they were only receiving assembled magazines from their Italian supplier, and they didn't yet have any spare/replacement parts. If one of their LE agency customers were to need something as simple as a follower, butt-plate catch or butt-plate, they'd have to send them a complete magazine, because they simply hadn't started receiving individual parts yet.

Now it also might be complicated by the source, meaning whether the mags and their component parts are being in the US or in Europe. The mags for the regular M&P 9/.40/.357 mags are made and shipped from Europe, but the mags for the M&P 45 are presently being produced by a US based vendor.

Even so, it may simply be a case of everything they're getting sometimes having to go to daily production to meet the high demand (the Shield line is the best selling pistol in the world, at the moment, according to what we were told in a recent M&P and Shield armorer class). They may not have reached the point where the supplemental spare/repair/retail parts availability can be addressed, or at least not as consistently well as they plan to do. Give them some time.

I don't remember hearing if it was said where the Shield 45 mags are being sourced (US v. Europe), but if they're being made here, the company might have an advantage in getting the individual plastic parts available sooner. I think it was 2-3 years ago we were told the factory had finally acquired/bought a longtime US-based plastic manufacturing vendor they'd used for most of their parts for many years.

Give them a little time. They're going to be getting requests for parts (and complete mags) from some of their usual major retail parts company customers, too. ;)

·
Build the Wall
10,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the links and the info, I will definitely give them more time to catch up with the demand.

TGG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts