does Ruger make a solid product?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Gnocchi, Sep 28, 2020.

1. rogn

rogn real dogs

Rugers reputation is generaly thought of as a product that can have multiuses not exactly like a Swiss Army knife, More like Gerber or Leatherman. It will shoot well and reliably and if you get caught short and need to drive some nails in a bridge or railroad tie or cabin, just use the Ruger. Sure it'll get scuffed up but it will still work when that job is done.

They do make some atttractive and elegant products as well.

Emily W Trott and jr24 like this.
  2. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

As the others have stated here, Ruger makes very solid products. I've owned several over the years and still do.

FullClip likes this.

3. Emily W Trott

Emily W Trott Trick or Treat!

LOL!! Maybe that is why I get along so well with my Rugers...we've got a lot of things in common. :)
    I own four, which is 2/3s of the rifles/handguns I have. All of them are extremely reliable and all but one, the Mini-14 Ranch Rifle, are also very accurate. :)

4. tango44

tango44

My LCR and 10/22 are solid and still going strong afer thousands of rounds.
    I just don't like their pistols but my father still have a P95 and after 30K rounds still in excellent shape!

Deputydave likes this.
  5. oldmick

oldmick

I think they make a good product. They seem to have an issue with fasteners. Both of my 2245s had loose front sights and I just found another screw that backed out on the bottom of the frame where it locks up with the barrel assembly.

Blue lock tite fixed them all, but it appears to be a common issue. Other than that, no complaints whatsoever.

6. Dr. Leaky

Dr. Leaky Know-It-All

Probably owned more Rugers than any other brand over the years and haven't had a stinker yet, so, yeah they make a quality product.

jame and Emily W Trott like this.
  7. WABOOM

WABOOM

I like Ruger.

8. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

The 'boat anchor' does seem to have that reputation for being like the Energizer bunny, just keeps going and going. To me, the P95 is to the 9mm what the GP100 is to the 357 mag, just a tank of a gun that can take a licking and keep on ticking.

pgg00 and jr24 like this.
  9. DonD

DonD

Ugly? I think not and that's subjective. Maybe the old 900 series guns but I'd disagree regarding the SR9c type. To my eyes, better looking than most out there like Walther and some others.

Great customer service. Called them recently, won't say what I was interested in because I don't want to get them bombed by requests for feebies. They gave me something I wanted that often costs $100 or so for free. Don

jr24 and Deputydave like this.
  10. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Yup. I like my Rugers, everything from the Blackhawks, LCP and Red Labels.

I just kick myself for not getting a Gold Label side-by-side when I had the chance. Maybe nothing like a Boss, but would look good in my gun cabinet.

[​IMG]

pgg00, flyover, Collo Rosso and 2 others like this.
  11. GWG19

GWG19

Ya me too on that one.

FullClip likes this.
  12. reniram

reniram

I'll add my voice to the pro Ruger chorus. I own seven Rugers (three revolvers, three semi autos and one rifle).

13. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

I have 3 Ruger revolvers, a 3 screw Super Blackhawk 44 Mag, a Super Redhawk 44 Mag and a GP100 357 Mag. I always think of the Rugers as strong, rugged utility pieces. Use them and not worry about beating them up. And they were not as expensive as S&W and Colts. I had a S&W Mod57 some years ago and it was so nice I couldn't get myself to shoot it so I sold it.

I know nothing about their semi-autos and never had any interest in them although I have been thinking a bit about getting a Mark IV 22.

CanyonMan and FullClip like this.
  14. HighCapicity

HighCapicity

I don't think she's ugly at all...and she has a nice 17 round personality too and fun to bang!
    Rugar.JPG

ssdan454, Lockback and FullClip like this.
  15. Justamessenger

Justamessenger

Welcome to the forum. If you post the exact product, you might read something useful, and it will definitely save time for a bunch of people who can’t wait to write about a favorite gun.

Ruger makes a long list of products, and you shouldn’t generalize. Sheesh, even Michelin comes out with a bad tire now and again.

16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Ruger handguns, an overview from someone who's owned many Ruger products since the 1970's

I generally like any of the polymer striker fired Ruger semi-autos as long as they're available as a "Pro" version without the thumb safety or magazine safety.

I didn't like the P-90 series autos. first of all because they were DA/SA but secondly because they big and heavy and clunky kind of like their revolvers. And I liked the Security Six and the Speed Six better than the SP-101 and the GP-100 and I like the standard Redhawk better than the Super Redhawk. I really like their single action revolvers and the triggers on those are pretty good righr out of the box but can be improved. One gun that I really liked that they no longer make was the Ruger Old Army black powder revolver.

And all their DA Revolvers need trigger jobs. Other than that, most of their guns are over-engineered, extremely durable and reliable.

FullClip likes this.
  17. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

I have two SR's, the 9E and .45. Love 'em both.

[​IMG]

18. unit1069

unit1069

My one and only Ruger I've bought is a Mark II .22lr with the 6 7/8" tapered barrel. It shoots every type of ammo and is a b!tch to put back together; but I know I will pass this great pistol onto my son. Dead on accuracy and great for others in the family to learn shooting skills.

Yes
    , it's that memorable a shooting experience and if you ever come upon one at a price reasonable to you I strongly recommend you grab it from the seller's mitts, shove the cash into his/her hand, request a written receipt (including serial number), and beat it the hell back home.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  19. Mikegti

Mikegti

While Rugers may lack some of the polish of more expensive brands, they are generally pretty solid and reliable. I have had several over the years and have never had any problems with them.

20. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

That's a Mark I. It's usually pretty easy to tell because it's etched on to the upper ;)

MNBud and pgg00 like this.