does Ruger make a solid product?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Gnocchi, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Gnocchi

Gnocchi

I came across a compact 9MM they make that has peaked my interest. The price point for their pistols is also very affordable, but is their product quality? I know nothing about Ruger.

2. Pluto57

Pluto57

Yes, they make a quality product.

garya1961, Chris8111, Lagamor and 5 others like this.

3. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Ruger generally makes pretty solid products. I hear they also have world-class customer service. I don't know that personally, because I've never used it.

FullClip likes this.
  4. jr24

jr24

Yes they make quality stuff, even if some of it targets a lower price point.

The SR series (SR 9c, SR9, SR40, SR40c) are particularly excellent for a low price. Though, I think only the SR9c is in current production.

Redeemed, Nucflash and Deputydave like this.
  5. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

None of them currently show up on Ruger's website.

6. bubbatime

bubbatime

The autos are ugly beast but they generally work. And they have good customer service so if something doesn’t work, they will fix it.

7. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Their centerfire autos aren’t my thing as a preference, but Ruger does mfg quality stuff.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  8. jr24

jr24

I think the 9c was a Lipseys special run last year? I know a bunch hit the market in the past year or two, wouldn't be surprised if they shut it down for these crazy times.

9. Pluto57

Pluto57

Compared to Glocks, they're the Bella Hadid of guns.

Deputydave likes this.
  10. GWG19

GWG19

Yes they do make a reliable product.
    Everything from the P series forward has worked as intended. They may not be the best looking pistols but they work.
    A used, if I remember correctly police trade trade in, P90 was my Truck gun for years.

11. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

The only Ruger I have is a 10/22. It's been a great little shooter. Very reliable and fairly attractive. It's been surprisingly accurate within 100 yards, once you get your holdover figured out on the longer shots. Plus, it's a lot of fun to shoot.

12. DannyB

DannyB

Ruger has not joined Remington in the tank of quality control. They have always made solid products.

billy_56081, treg and Lockback like this.
  13. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ruger product, and own a few. Their semi-auto handguns may be ugly, but they usually work just fine. Very happy to hear they acquired Marlin.

14. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Ruger is like an ugly girl with a great personality. They aren't the most refined guns, but tend to be very reliable.

FWIW, I own five Rugers and they all work just fine...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  15. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I don't know about some of you, but I think my Rugers are pretty good looking guns.

All22.jpg Cowboyrig.jpg rbh45c.jpg RBHH1.jpg

16. GlockyQ

GlockyQ G43 Fanboy

Ruger makes pretty decent firearms. I like their rimfire pistols and revolvers. I also like their LCP and LCP-II. Ruger dose NOT offer any warranty, but always stand behind their products make it right if you experience any issue with their gun.

nerr and FullClip like this.
  17. 0311INF

0311INF

Generally yes. The pistols, revolvers and long guns are made in 3 different plants, AZ, NH and NC (not respectively). From my experience, Ruger's classic rifles are usually quite well done. Never had an issue with one (though my experience is limited to the 10/22 and M77). AR lineup not so much, I'm not impressed.
    I've never owned or fired any of their semi-auto handguns. aside from the SR1911 CMD, which was good. I've had many SP/GP/SS revolvers and usually they're good to go, though a few years ago in/around 2013-16 they abandoned QC for production boosts. I think they've scaled back to normal output since, and probably regained some quality in the process.
    In any case, their customer service is pretty good, and turn around for repair or "warranty" work etc is quite fast.

18. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

I've had quite a few Ruger products over the years. In revolvers I've owned the GP100 (357 mag) and SP101 in 357 mag and 9mm. I've owned several LC9 and LC9s pistols and currently own both the LCP and LCP II.

The revolvers are built like tanks. Just very solid revolvers. In my opinion, the LC9/LC9s is a superior pistol to offerings like the G43. They are designed with the melted edges for snag free, have a higher capacity. Are slightly smaller, thinner and lighter which is what you want in this genre of pistol and offer a choice in whether or not you want a MS. Usually at half the price of the Glock but still fully capable of delivering excellent performance. As an example, during normal times, you can buy and LC9s, put night sights on it, get a bunch of extra mags and a fiar amount of ammo and a holster for what you'd pay for a stock G43 with plastic sights and none of the other stuff. Not a knock on Glock but simply stating how it is. And the LCP/LCP II pocket pistols are usually on most folks list of hottest selling guns.

Their CS is really pretty awesome and friendly. If I wasn't carrying the P365 for EDC I would be carrying the LC9s, and in fact, that is exactly what I was carrying before getting the P365. Only reason I'm carrying the P365 is that it has even higher capacity options.

Nucflash likes this.
  19. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

That may well be. I know there are some SR9cs out there on the used market. Almost bought one a few weeks ago.

20. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

Ruger makes a very solid product. I have found that Ruger's center fire bolt action rifles are good but not as accurate as some other makes, i.e. CZ.