Does passing this advanced safety check prove that your FP safety will 'save the day'?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by creativetownsman, Jan 11, 2020.

1. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

San Diego, G23-3, limited to Gen 3. Don't ask.
    Assume that one's gun is dropped and for whatever reason, the sear separates from the lug.
    The FP springs forward

Please carefully view this safety test in two parts. It is important to conduct it properly. Videos are short, less than a minute each, and to the point.

IMPORTANT- not clear from the videos but I can tell you that you press on the LUG, not the FP sleeve, in conducting this test! :fred:

Most Glock armorers, but not the general Glock shooting public, should be aware of this testing procedure. It's an advanced FP safety check.

So, does passing this safety check prove that your FP safety will 'save the day'?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KARPM5ib6FY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR-orl2b4SQ

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  2. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Uh? WTF is that? Just function fire the gun as is, OEM.

domino1, SARDG and L-2 like this.

3. fastbolt

fastbolt

Join GSSF and sign up for the closest (open) armorer class.

Learn first hand, with an instructor close by, how to perform the proper inspection and safety checks of Glocks. Learn how to recognize and diagnose problems.

ranger1968, SARDG and L-2 like this.
  4. Papa glock

Papa glock

5. boyscoutG36

boyscoutG36 σαρκασμός

This guy has no idea what he is doing. I would disregard anything this YouTube certified armored says, to follow it could be detrimental.

6. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Papa Glock, the videos in post number one constitute a more sophisticated and more telling safety check. The video that you had posted is more in tune with what you might find in the owner's manual for checking the firing pin safety.

I'm no expert but I think the video you posted may show that the mechanism is working whereas in post number one the video seems to show where another safety fails oh, such as the drop safe, the firing pin safety will indeed pick up the slack. If it fails the test in post number one then you can't rely on it to save the day should the sear full up the firing pin lug. It is therefore not working properly if it fails test impost number one that is just my educated guess because no one has directly answer my question in this thread.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  7. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    Sometimes Youtube has some real nonsense on it , with all sorts of amateur hour shennanigans straight out of the WECSOG handbook;

That video was one of those times.

NAZG26 and mongo356 like this.
  8. Papa glock

Papa glock

Which video? All the videos including the one I posted?

I mean no disrespect as I’m just trying to learn.

9. ranger1968

ranger1968

The pair posted in the OP.

Rubbish.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

In the Glock armorer's class you'll listen to an instructor give a detailed explanation of the 3 safety system, as well as be able to follow along in the manual and see the video presentation explanation, all of which can help give you a better understanding of how it all works.

This can help give you a better working knowledge and understanding of how everything is supposed to work, and how to recognize when something isn't working according to design.

It will also help you learn to identify when what someone thinks is a 'problem' might only be a symptom of a different problem, so you don't chase your tail. Trial and error can be time consuming and really annoying when you don't have all day to tinker with something, hoping to "fix" a problem. Fixing is relatively easy once you identify the actual problem. It's learning to properly diagnose a problem (and recognize when something isn't a problem) that can give some untrained folks headaches.

Now, the armorer's class won't teach you how to install, adjust and fit aftermarket (non-factory) parts, but it can help you learn to recognize when an aftermarket part may be a problem, and sometimes the classroom discussion might give you some insight into why some particular aftermarket part might work in one Glock, but not in another/others.

Or, you can surf videos posted by anyone with the capability to post videos ... and hope for the best??

As an armorer who has been trained to service, inspect and repair some different makes/models of guns, I've seen some "how to" and "watch how I do this" videos posted in the internet that were puzzling, confusing, appalling or downright scary, especially to think that some people might be using them to "work" on their guns.

Sure, there are some experienced smiths and experts, both as individuals and perhaps working for businesses, who post 'gunsmithing' video clips and answer questions, even if they aren't representing the manufacturers. The trick is figure out who's who in the zoo.

11. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Stop trolling. You don't know what you're talkin about. That test is posted in written form all over the internet.

12. Papa glock

Papa glock

Ok, again I mean no disrespect as I’m trying to learn. But for me I can’t see that way proving anything from my post with the video shows the same test but easier to perform. Maybe I’m missing it. I’ll have to pull out one of my Glocks and study it.

13. ranger1968

ranger1968

Actually, it is clearly you who has no clue what he,is talking about, but that's the Internet.....

Stop casting aspersions.

That "test" is garbage.

If you want to actually learn the correct way to work with these pistols, take an armorer's course, and if you want to know more, take an advanced armorer's course; after that , spend some time inspecting, diagnosing, and repairing some of the pistols.....

Those videos are clown shoes.

ExecutiveWill and SARDG like this.
  14. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Haha, look who's casting aspersions. Why is the test in post number one a clown test?

15. Papa glock

Papa glock

Ok let me ask this, in the example of checking a firing pin safety that I posted, is that a legit way to show if it’s working properly?

16. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

It's a basic way to check the mechanism but not its inter-relationship with the other parts of the firearm.

As I understand the videos in post number one. You're actually duplicating a failure scenario with the lug /sear disengaging due to a fall or other mishap and trying to ascertain if the firing pin safety will actually operate in that scenario. If it fails the test, the gun would automatically go bang, and without pulling the trigger.

That's why I refer to it in post number one as an advanced Safety check of the firing pin safety.

Suggest that you try doing the test Papa Glock. In my view it is a better test because it tells more about the fail-safe quality of your trigger and firing pin safety.

Why does he pull the trigger in the beginning of the check? Why does he then manually push the trigger shoe forward thereafter? It all makes sense to me in duplicating the scenario. You may understand it better if you do the test.

17. Papa glock

Papa glock

It shows the firing pin safety is working or not, but it does not show if the trigger bar is pushing up on the firing pin safety?

18. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Correct, it just shows that the firing pin can't get through unless you depress the firing pin safety plunger. It's just a basic test see if the mechanism alone appears to be working properly. That test is independent of the trigger bar's vertical extension depressing it adequately or if the sear falls off the lug what might happen. That's in the Post Number One and it sort of tells a story. It inspires more confidence.

The tests are definitely similar. I just think the test in post number one is better but I wouldn't want to do it every time. So I defer to the simpler test in the manual with frequency. That's more in accord with the video that you posted.

19. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Your posted video shows at least a variant of a function check taught in the Armorers course. However, just like the videos in post #1 (which should be totally discounted and have no basis in fact as a valid function check), the YouTuber in your post uses improper Glock nomenclature. That's generally a dead giveaway that they also got their Glock knowledge from YT or forums.

If you want the real scoop, one forum member you can trust is fastbolt... but there are a few others - very few!

GSSF membership offers annual certificates to purchase a Glock at Blue Label prices, and the ability to attend the (factory) Glock Armorers Course (for $250). They are offered locally, all over the US and the Certification you will receive upon passing, is good for 3 years. The current course, in which I just re-certified, includes an Armorers Manual, Glock cleaning mat and parts tray, a Glock disassembly tool, AND two Glock orange slide cover plates to PROPERLY check trigger bar/firing pin lug engagement - another legitimate function check.

Please totally ignore whatever that was in the videos of post #1, and research the Armorers Course. Last I looked, Dennis Tueller was still on the Glock circuit teaching some of these courses.

mongo356 and Papa glock like this.
  20. creativetownsman

creativetownsman

Just because it's not in the armorer's course does not invalidate videos of Post Number One. Hey, no harm, no foul. I think the test is useful to do from time to time. Try it yourself, you may agree, or not!

I've also heard that the basic armorer's course is basically nomenclature in nature. One really doesn't get it into the meat of things until Advanced armor, agree, or not?