Does paintball have any legitimate tactical value?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Landmonster, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Landmonster

Landmonster

Does playing paintball have any legitimate tactical value?

Do the skills and attributes developed from playing paintball carry over into real life combat situations or gun fights?

I played my first paintball game 2 days ago, and it seemed fun. It was also an eye opening experience. I am wondering if further pursuit of this game would help me to become a better gun fighter or tactician in real life?

2. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

PM GT member alfred10. He is big into paintball.

:cool:

3. NateHodge

NateHodge Here too much

Well, several years back, the local paintball league went head to head with the county SWAT team and smoked their ***. I would assume it works just like any other force on force training.

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

It is a force of force game with instant feedback. It can have some value. You get reinforced on good things like using cover and concealment hitting your target before he hits you. If done right you can make teams and actually work with some small unit tactics of cover fire, fields or fire, etc.

In the end it is a game and the players know they are not going to get killed so they may or may not be more brave then they would otherwise. The ballistics of a paint ball gun is nothing like a regular firearm. Velocity is way down, it won't shoot through much of anything. Distant targets are shot with an ark etc.

If you enjoy it do it. It has its pluses and minuses. I wouldn't do it just for its tactical training but it can be fun and challenging.

5. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Not really.
    You will never see this kind of action in real life unless you're on the battle field. You are also limited in range (200' max). I really enjoyed playing.
    I played for about 5 years. I authored one of the most-read reviews on the Tippmann A5 marker back in 2003. I was 43 then...:supergrin:
    http://www.pbreview.com/products/reviews/1160/

I only played woods ball. We had a blast! Never anything organized though. If I had the opportunity, I'd play again today.

If anything, it'll teach you how to use cover....:supergrin:

6. Z1232K

Z1232K Heavy Hauler CLM

wow!!!

7. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

It very much depends how the game is played, but it can. There are a number of training facilities that use paintball or airsoft guns to simulate live fire against living, thinking targets. The key difference is that these places use them as tools within a tactical, combat oriented curriculum.

Is it the same as being in actual combat? Of course not, nothing is. Does it add a dimension that training against paper targets which don't shoot back can't replicate? It'd be hard to argue that it doesn't.

8. devildog2067

devildog2067

Paintball teaches you bad habits, in general. On the other hand there are things you can take away from it if you're careful not to pick up the bad habits too.

As you train, so shall you fight. If you "train" yourself that anyone more than 60' away from you can't hit you, you're going to get yourself dead in real life.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

Wow what?

I'm sure that a local paintball team would smoke just about anyone at paintball except another paintball team.

The real test would be to give everyone real weapons and live rounds, and see if they still smoke the SWAT team's ***.

10. silentpoet

silentpoet

That would make an awesome tv show.

11. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer

I think it has great value to get that first smack, telling you you would have been dead. It can teach basic fire and manuever tactics. But other than that, the problems are obvious.
    Limited range, sparse cover will disrupt a paint pellet and count as cover, excessive "gamesmanship."
    But, it's better than blanks. Take it for what it's worth, leave the rest. Many tactical teams work in some kind of paint ball, or, rather, high tech paint munitions.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I would bet minimal, but I was never a fan of paintball, so I could be pre-judgmental.

13. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Holy crap. PBR was my first forum... :shocked: 8 years ago...

I got banned for being a druggie and not following rules. Thankfully I turned my life around.

My sticky is still up there in the Tippmann forum too. :rofl:

14. Rabbit994

Rabbit994

I currently play Scenario ball. It has some training for small team tactics and working with other people. However, it also teaches you bad habits like someone 60 feet away isn't a threat and some shrubs are good cover. Not to mention in most cases, you see something and completely unload on them since your carrying over 1000 rounds in many cases.

Personally, I don't play it for tactical training. I enjoy the comeradery and teamwork.

15. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  16. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

Yes,it teaches the following;
    Poor gun handling
    improper use of sights
    Poor trigger control
    Spray and pray tactics

17. RFPhoto

RFPhoto

Thats not really saying too much. SWAT/LEO are taught that each round can have dire consequences (read: civilian casualities) and not just spray and pray so I would imagine that if live rounds were fired then the SWAT officers would have "smoked the paintballers asses".

Force on force training with paintball/simunitions can be a benefit but only under strict circumstances. Our Entry Team uses these items in our kill houses and is a good reminder about cover and concealment.

18. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

If you mean accessing which threats are most dangerous and using cover then yes against good players.

Personally I think it has a lower than in the tactical department just because you normally do not aim you look for where your paint is hitting... Although I use a BT-4ERC with a rip drive with halo and my tank on the marker. It has plastic sights and a pressure assited mechanical blowback system which probably has the worst recoil of any paintgun on the market... but thats why I use it. Looks more real, sounds more real, recoils alot. I have the APEX tip on one of my barrels it puts a backspin on the ball and is dead on at 150 feet, most other even expensive markers can do maybe 75-120 feet before paintball drop off so I can reach out and touch farther normally I stand in the open and walk backwards staying out of their range... so is that tactically smart? No but its sure fun... in real life better to hide all the time if possible.

19. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Back when I was a LEO we trained on dynamic entries with paintball guns
    Regards
    DW

20. ChadSin

ChadSin

You could always train with semunitions. Those little blue rounds hurt like hell and when I did a little training with them I definately treated them differently than paintballs.