Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Depends on the gun, I guess. My main carry gun, a blued 1911, gets more holster wear every year and looks better every year (to me). This is added character that I greatly appreciate. I have been an avid quail hunter for 40 years and my bird gun has absolutely no bluing left on the underside of the receiver from carrying the gun for at least a zillion miles. It also has stock dents/scratches from busting brush and clumsy falls by its owner. Looks great. Honest wear with no rust or abuse.

On the other hand, I have some 'safe queens' that are shot but definitely babied.

Many a time, I have seen blued carry guns posted on internet pages that I am sure were carried only in the owners' dreams. Bluing is often pristine on these posted guns. It just doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
16,670 Posts
For me I guess so. I dont collect. I own only "shooters" none of mine are "pristine" I hesitate to even buy high end guns cause I know they will get marked up from use heck even my guns I normally take to the range get marks last one was great till it started sliding out of the rack at the range and ended up getting stopped by a folding metal chair..thank goodness as if it hadnt hit the chair it WOULD have hit the ground..but it put a big long scratch in the bluing on the barrel..imagine if that was my prized...what ya ma callit that cost me $3000+ lol...yeah...so for ME they all have wear of some kind...BUT I get collecting and of course id not want wear on a safe queen lol.

·
NRA Life Member
6,434 Posts
As others have mentioned, working guns are going to show wear, and yes, that adds character.

I used to drool over an old copy of "Guns of the Gunfighters" by Peterson's publishing put out in the 70's. In it were the working guns of outlaws and lawmen, their Colts, S&W's, Star's etc. Most are significantly worn from being rode hard, and they look fantastic.

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
If its a carry gun, sure.

If its not a carry gun, why would I want holster wear?
That pretty much says it all.

I have a couple of Glocks with some fair holster wear from being at my side. I like them that way. I have a few other handguns that sit in the safe and stay pretty. I like them that way too.

·
Banned
17,065 Posts
As others have mentioned, working guns are going to show wear, and yes, that adds character.

I used to drool over an old copy of "Guns of the Gunfighters" by Peterson's publishing put out in the 70's. In it were the working guns of outlaws and lawmen, their Colts, S&W's, Star's etc. Most are significantly worn from being rode hard, and they look fantastic.
I had a copy too. Same thing.

That is why I was overjoyed when the first S&W 58 I found at the right time (money in my pocket) was an "SAPD" marked one with genuine police duty rear on it. If I was a little more cocky I could probably find out what brand of holster was used from the wear pattern.

Same with a lot of others I have.

All of my carry guns show what they are.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Depends on the gun, I guess. My main carry gun, a blued 1911, gets more holster wear every year and looks better every year (to me). This is added character that I greatly appreciate. I have been an avid quail hunter for 40 years and my bird gun has absolutely no bluing left on the underside of the receiver from carrying the gun for at least a zillion miles. It also has stock dents/scratches from busting brush and clumsy falls by its owner. Looks great. Honest wear with no rust or abuse.

On the other hand, I have some 'safe queens' that are shot but definitely babied.

Many a time, I have seen blued carry guns posted on internet pages that I am sure were carried only in the owners' dreams. Bluing is often pristine on these posted guns. It just doesn't work that way.
I think the highlighted statement above is somewhat debatable. My model 36 shows no holster wear and has been carried for about a year (which is not long) but in an Uncle Mikes cheapo. Had it been in a leather or kydex holster, I'm sure it would show some rub by now.

·
Build the Wall
10,403 Posts
As a collector I do NOT want scuffs, scratches, gouges, etc. on any of my collectible guns.

My carry guns are another story. My KT P-32 looks like it has been carried for many years.....which it has.

TGG

·
Registered
129,768 Posts
I have a couple of Glocks with some fair holster wear from being at my side. I like them that way. I have a few other handguns that sit in the safe and stay pretty. I like them that way too.
My Kimber Pro CDP and KelTec P3AT show wear. I carry them far more than anything else. I carry my G33 on occasion, but it doesn't show much wear yet.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Can I add a third category? Safe queens, carry guns and... range guns.

I don't carry it, but it sees a lot of from-the-holster presentations as practice... my Kimber .22 (on a Taurus frame). It gets a lot of use on the range.

·
Registered
16,715 Posts
Good honest holster wear doesn't bother me one bit. Now if I drop a gun on an asphalt parking lot and skin it up that would bother me.

My 1996 P239 has years of good honest holster wear on it, and has very little finish left on it. I wouldn't think of refinishing it. The internals have been kept up and the gun is very reliable, who cares if it looks like crap.

·
Banned
17,065 Posts
Up until about 5 years ago these two guns were my main carry pieces. I was travelling quite a lot of miles a week away from home, hence the BHP and it's mag capacity. I had put my "gun buying" on hold for years as I devoted myself to business. Since then my collection has grown exponentially, as I can indulge my interest now. But I still carry one or the other of these without hesitation. The wear on them and the "gear" just reminds me of how well they have served me.

·
Registered
45,279 Posts
I like tools. I have many different tools for many different trades. I use every one. I don't have the physiological make up to collect and display. I just can't do it.

That said. I haven't even given a thought to holster wear on my weapons. They are good tools and they are mine. I take pleasure in the fact that they work each and every time I use them, and I take pride in the wear that shows I appreciate them and use them all the time.

I wish I could collect, but it's not in me. I have 100 year old wood planes that I have restored for use in my woodworking. I do this because even with wear they are the best tools I can use for the job. Yes the pistols and my other tools have character and I respect them for that.

I can't tell you how much I envy BAC1023 for his collection, but I just can't do it..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.