close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does ironing take practice?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Feb 15, 2010.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I just started ironing (usually got 'em ironed, then took care of them until I had to wash 'em, repeat as necessary). I look @ the shirt on the hanger after and go "Ah that wasn't so bad!" Then it hangs for a couple days, I put it on and it looks like I freaking slept in it in some places, especially between the buttons. :rofl:

Is this something people get better at with practice?

2. zackwatt

zackwatt That's a Bingo! Lifetime Member

3. hatidua

hatidua

I went to a boarding school for high school and had to iron my pants and shirt every single day, 7 days a week, for four years. After college I worked in NYC within the financial world for a spell, more of same.

Now I shoot tropical beach photos around the world for a living, I have no interest in ever seeing another iron. Wear linen and hang it up immediately out of the dryer.

Ironing sucks!

4. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

It sure does.

BUT, after ironing military uniforms and police uniforms for soooo many years (I just never liked the way dry cleaning did it especially the creases), and all my personal clothes afterward.............I can tell you one thing I've learned.

If you don't iron them at the time you intend to wear them (the morning or night of), they'll not look as good. You have found that out for yourself it seems. Nothing you can do about it, just the way it works.

I always had to start a bit early just to have the time. But one other thing, they definitely look good when you take the time to do it right, and people notice that. Folks who don't iron their clothes, and some have a good reason not to, look as if they've been hit with an M-203 wrinkle round.

5. vafish

vafish

What is this ironing you speak of?

6. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I travel for work and learned that lesson the hard way. Sometimes I would iron at night in the hotel, only to have to reiron the next morning.

7. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

At work, I remove my trousers before I sit behind my desk. A little trick from The Maestro.

8. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

Bob Cobb?

9. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

I iron every single day. It's become part of my routine and I take the time to mentally prepare for the day.

Stick with it, you'll find a "system" that works for you. Mine goes like this:

Collar, back of shoulders, right sleeve (back then front), left sleeve (back then front) right front, right back, left back, left front.

The only time I use the "skinny" end of the board is for the back of shoulders.

ETA: Stretch your shirt a big when Ironing it. Steam is your friend. Don't forget to iron between the buttons and on the cuffs.

Another travel trick for hotels: Turn on the shower as hot as it will go. Put your suit on a hanger and hang it up (make sure it's not touching the wall or door which where water will condensate.) leave it in there for 30 minutes. It will stem the wrinkles out of your suits.

Also, always test the hotel irons to make sure they don't have junk on them that will heat up and stain your shirts.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  10. Lester R. Britton

Lester R. Britton

When I was a kid we used to wear "Peggers" pants. I didn't like the way my mother ironed them so she said, "Here. I'll show you something". When she finished she said, "O.K. buster. You iron your own clothes from now on". And I did. All through the Army and afterward. Get a can of spray startch and lightly (or heavy) spray the area to be ironed. It will look like you just got them from the cleaners and it will last. One secret; if you buy shirts that "need no ironing"; no matter how much you iron them it won't make any difference. They always look like crap.

11. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

My grandpa tried to learn me how to iron ... I ironed wrinkles into the clothes.

12. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Yes. I met him when he performed at the old folks home.

13. loki993

loki993

Apparently it does. However Ive had plenty of practice and I still suck at it. I guess its just something I'm incapable of doing.

14. farley45

farley45

+1

Ironing shirts that need no ironing will ruin them in my experience. I have a few of the wrinkle free scotch guard white shirts that I like to keep around for when I'm short on time. Toss them in the dryer and they come out wrinkle free and good as new. Only thing is you don't get any creases.

15. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

What part of the shirt do you starch? I thought it was just for the collar?

16. Kith

Kith

lazy man's iron:
    -Lightly mist water from a spray bottle on shirt. (or pants)
    -15 minutes in the dryer, high heat.
    -Hang immediately on hanger.

For serious wrinkles, a second application may be in order.

Works even better if you take a shower while you wait.

Bonus points if you use a dryer sheet.

(also known as the bachelors iron)

17. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    No, it take a woman. :tbo:

18. Tx-G30

Tx-G30

When I was in the military, I ironed (heat up the fabric), sprayed starch (let the heat from ironing evaporate as much starch as possible) and then repeat 1 or 2 more times. If you want, you can get a small piece of cardboard, cut out holes about the size of the buttons and use that to put over the buttons (lay fabric over that - on pockets) so that you don't get the buttons imprinted onto your shirt when you iron.

When I later worked in corrections, I'd fill a bucket with liquid starch and a tiny bit of water, dunk my shirt in there until it was totally soaked. Wring out as much of it as I could and then threw it in a dryer. Once dry, then I would iron it.

19. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Please post locations of where you people live that have no women, so I can avoid these locations like the plague.

20. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

:thumbsup: