Does grip reduction improve pointing?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by irontexan27, Feb 16, 2010.

1. irontexan27

irontexan27

Im sure this subject has been covered before but with a grip reduction on a glock does it actually improve the natural pointing angle or does it just reduce size for small hands.

I am very fond of Glock pistols but they dont point like my duty Sig so I am a little uneasy about going with Glock for a carry gun.

As others have said before it isnt that I cant get used to the grip angle, I would just perfer it to match that of my duty weapon.

Thanks for the help

2. scprotector1

scprotector1 LoneStarGlocker

It it didnt increase or decrease the pointing of my weapon (G26) at all. It feels more comfortable thats all. I point just fine with it anyway

3. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Yes it does improve the natural pointability of the gun..

4. Desertscout

Desertscout CLM Millennium Member

In a word, absolutely!

5. NAPCOTPE

NAPCOTPE

Are either one of you guys able to describe the theory of "how" it improves the natural pointability (yes, i know it's not a real word) of the gun, or direct me to an artical of such?

6. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

For most, Glocks point high because of the hump on the backstrap. Bye getting rid of the hump the gun, it point more natural. Try this. Lay your unloaded gun on a table, with eyes closed pick it up and point it towards an object on the wall or shelf or whatever. open your eyes and see how far off the sights are. For me, when trying this with the Glocks they were always pointing high. I started doing grip reductions because of this and they now point perfect. In my opinion, if the gun doesnt point natural then make the gun adapt to you or find a different gun. I'm not about to change my grip or wrist position to adapt to it.

7. NAPCOTPE

NAPCOTPE

Do you feel that a reduction could give someone with larger hands a "too small" feeling?

8. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Its possible..

9. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Certainly does improve "pointability" with my recently grip-reduced G19.

10. cciman

cciman

it depends--- you won't know until you do it. It may make it worse, better , or the same. Everyone's shooting ergonomics is different, yet the person doing the reduction probably does them the same for all takers. Without casting your hand, and analyzing your shooting at the range (big bucks), they cannot customize to you.

The question really is: are you really fixing a perceived problem? Is the factory grip a problem for you?
    If spending money to customize your gun makes you love it more, and induces you to practice more, then it might make it "point better".

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  11. irontexan27

irontexan27

cciman, valid point. Like I said after an hour or so at the range pointing a glock isnt a problem, but then a pick up my p226 and it points low, and vice versa.

The explenation about the hump makes sense, I was curious if it was the hump or the angle on the front strap that leads to the high pointing pointing tendency.

12. cciman

cciman

In the medical and airline industries, there is concept to streamline the hardware (use only one, no more than 2 brands of equipment) to improve safety. Opera singers refrain from singing jazz or rock, tennis players avoid other racquet sports.....

This extends to guns also...

If you shoot professionally, or depend on a weapon, its best to go with one type, and be muscle familiar with it, and avoid contaminating your ergonomics.

Rather than make the Glock more like the Sig, or vice versa, pick you poison and just use one type.

I bet its more than just the grip, since the sights, triggers, weights, and slide axes are different.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010