Does getting your CCP change your mentality?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by brian321, Jan 18, 2010.

1. brian321

brian321

I keep hearing that once you start carrying that your attitude changes is this true? Did you guys start acting differnent once you started carrying?

2. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

It ABSOLUTELY changed my attitude and my outlook on things.

I no longer get the least bit of road rage, no longer make smart remarks about somebody who cuts in front of me in line.

I now try to avoid certain places that I know will have people hanging out that are not the most "upstanding" citizens out there. I also try very hard to avoid any situation where I feel might start a confrontation and/or verbal disagreement (i.e. bars). I have also got my short temper MUCH more in check now than it used to be.

I am a lot happier and smarter now that I carry. :wavey:

3. G19AR15

G19AR15

Ditto !! I think you somehow are constantly aware of the consequences of having to use your weapon, and therefore use better judgment in all things.

4. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I agree with you 100%

5. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I agree with all the above. Besides improving my situational awareness, it has improved my "emotional awareness." I think that sums it up well. :)

6. joeslide

joeslide

I would think your attitude would have to change when you decide to carry a weapon. I gone through a number of changes and my attitude continues to evolve in ways I would have never though (I'm into EDC (Every Day Carry) bags now). I try not to take things too seriously (or my wife would think I'm nuts).

7. THEPOPE

THEPOPE Nibb

The heavy responsibility of carrying a potentially deadly firearm, indeed, SHOULD change your out-look, and/or your attitudes of the things around you....I would love to think most of us change for the better, and in my experience, this has proven true.

There are exceptions, and I have met them, also...to my dismay.

".........who are you.ooo-oooo....ooo-oooo........"...I am OuT...:cool:

8. TarzanT

TarzanT

I still have flashes of road rage because my CCW doesn't cover RPG's!

But then again, I have never considered a CCW as a license for stupid...

9. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

:goodpost:

10. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

I'm a whole lot nicer and exercise more restraint.

11. brian321

brian321

That good to hear that its for the better. I am waiting to get mine but my outlooks are the same as of now...Did your guys attitude change the first time you carried or did it just happen over time?

12. smullen

smullen

I agree with all the above posted...

I just got my CCW and have not even started carrying yet, but I've already changed my outlook on things....

I was talking to one of the guys at work and he was taking about a defense situation and firing on someone that was a pretty good distancde away... I told him, you know after taking that CCW class, I don't really think you should be firing on someone at that distance... If they are that far away, they should not be that much of a threat and you should be looking/thinkiing of an exit/escape stratagy... I said, if you put two Hots in a BG at that distance, you'll likley be the one in legal trouble... I guess if by some far fetched TV situation is popping off and you are being fired on, you might fire back, but I'd have to experience it, to really decide...

Sorry to ramble, but I could not figure out a way to sum that up shorter...

13. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

What is it about your attitude, your character, your behavior that you believe needs changing or will change?

14. brian321

brian321

I dont think anything needs to be changed i was just curious because i think my thoughts are pretty good and just could not really see them changing, so i was just wondering.

15. brian321

brian321

Well i live in MO and when i took my safety class the instructor told me that the reason you have to qualify at 21feet(7yds) is because, and i quote "If they are that far away, they should not be that much of a threat and you should be looking/thinkiing of an exit/escape stratagy" exactly what you said, so let him know its not a good idea

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Same here! :wavey:

17. Caver 60

Caver 60

I'd add to the above. I won't go anywhere with the pistol, that I wouldn't go without it. No sense looking for trouble.

18. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

Being a hot head my natural tendency is to escalate a situation if I'm challenged in some way but now I just let a lot of things roll off my back, apologize when I'm not sorry or it wasn't my fault and de-escalate situations instead of letting them get out of control. Doesn't mean I still don't want to whoop some butt...

19. T-James

T-James

Good Post Sir. I totally agree and feel exactly the same. I have become a much more responsible person as far as the things you mentioned in your excellent post. I go way out of my way to avoid any type of possible confrontation. On the flip side, i will only act if kids, wife, or myself are absolutely in a life threatening situation. Also, i learned from this forum to have my lawyers number on my cell 24/7 and to respectively decline to give a statement if GOD forbid the worse happens till i have my lawyer present. All in all, having a CCW permit has changed my mentality 1000% for the better.

20. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

It's a process or evolution, I think. It's an educational process. And, it's changing your mindset. One factor is simply committing to the concept. Then it becomes a matter of adapting that concept and acclimating to it. Once you become acclimated, like wearing a watch, you feel strange without it.

You become more situationally aware. You become more aware of your own emotions AND those of others. You will adopt a habit of trying to DE-escalate conflicts and disagreements. You will be more likely to walk away from conflict before it becomes a stand-off. And, you will actually feel comfortable and GLAD to walk away before things get ugly.

It's truly liberating, and that may come as a surprise to you. As they say, "discretion is the better part of VALOR." (my emphasis)

As we said in the Navy, "Fair winds and following seas" in your endeavors.