Does concealment or comfort limit how big your carry gun is?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Dave Lively, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Comfort

41 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. Concealment

56 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

I went from a G17 to a G48. I shoot both reasonably well. Sold a 365 because I couldn't hit diddly with it at speed. It was great to carry and I liked the front sight! I tried all sorts of "grip sleeves" - no matter - it would rotate in my hand. I did a side-by-side 365 vs 48 - 15 yards and in and multiple targets. There was no contest - 48 hands down. The guy that bought the 365 loves it.
    :cheers:

BTW, might try a Hellcat when (if) the prices cool off.

glock1097 likes this.
  2. fastbolt

fastbolt

A handgun is a study in compromise.

Concealing a handgun involves further compromise, of which comfort is just one factor among others to consider.

I didn't vote in the poll.

As a young cop I altered my off-duty wardrobe to support carrying full-size .357 & .44 Magnum revolvers. "Comfort" came into the picture when carrying my Commander, since it was slim by comparison, or my later Star PD and KP90DC. The bigger wheelguns and pistols were still relatively heavy, though.

The years passed and I transitioned to carrying 5-shot revolvers and slim, single stack compact pistols (like the iconic S&W 3913, my first personally-owned 3rd gen). Then some smallish, yet still relatively slimish double stacks (SW9940, G26/27, 4013TSW, etc).

Nowadays, in retirement, I still look for effective concealment, but I also want to lean more toward comfort, since I'm still carrying virtually all of the time. That has to be balanced against choices that involve guns with which I've invested a lot of range training drills/qual hours, but which will also fit with clothing choices I prefer for most retirement activities and weather conditions.

My days of first looking to primarily "dress around" a weapon are behind me, and I prefer not to wear a weapon in a manner that's going to annoy and provoke accumulated older injuries and easily aggravated hot spots (from wearing gun belts and gear for many years, on and off-duty).

If I can't derive any practical benefit from the years I invested in learning to carry, use and effectively "fight with" many of my smaller and lighter weapons choices ... what was the purpose?

I still take more of my smaller and lighter pistols and revolvers than my larger ones to my range sessions (and LEOSA quals) in recent years (since I decided to take a sabbatical as a LE trainer), even though I'm no longer shooting several days a month. Sure, shooting my larger, full-size models would be easier, but I don't make those range trips with an eye to making things "easier" on myself, but to assess my skillset and continue to make demands upon myself (if only to try and hold the accumulation of rust at bay ;) ).

So ... I see concealment and physical comfort as two sides of the same coin.

That said, my Redhawk, 629 N-frame and other large revolvers tend to stay in the safe nowadays, along with my assorted 1911's, and even my M&P45 & KP90DC. The only other full-size pistol I'll still belt on from time to time is my 4.1" SW9940 (exact copy of an issued one I carried on-duty for a few years), because it's slim and light, and the Walther AS trigger is phenomenal for DA & SA trigger press. ;) Otherwise, it's typically compacts, subcompacts and 5-shot snubs.

I still don't find carrying any handgun "comforting", since it's still not a shotgun or a rifle. It does give me something more to work with, though, beyond bodily weapons, in dire and exigent situations.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020

3. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

As several others have already stated, concealed carry is often a compromise. I couldn't choose one over the other in the poll because I go with both comfort and concealment. Comfort can depend on the season and type of clothing. Concealment means, to me, that no one around you should notice anything. Be the gray man.

mj9mm likes this.
  4. wyntrout

wyntrout

Both are important to me, especially since I wear shorts with Tees and Polos the year around here in FL.
    I prefer carrying my single-stack Kahr P40 with the 4" ported barrel and a spare 7-round mag in a holder opposite side, but last year before a trip, my shorts and jeans were a bit tight for the P40 IWB, so I switched to my P380 with spare 7-round mag opposite side in a Kydex holder. I wear a Looper gun belt reinforced with Kydex and Crossbreed Minituck holsters, so everything is secure.
    Before the real gun belts, I had tried many things, including Perry suspenders, but I don't wear any undershirt, so that wasn't ideal.
    I just tighten the gun belt as needed to keep everything secure. On long trips I would back off a notch on the belt while in the vehicle.
    The Glocks are just too fat and heavy for me. I've tried my G-23C and G-30S with spare mags opposite side in Kydex holders, but just too bulky and heavy. I even considered a separate G-43 for me after getting my wife one... bought a Minituck for it, too, but decided that my P40 was of comparable size and capacity... AND a .40, so didn't buy another G43.
    I wear my tees and Polos untucked and buy a size larger for extra room.. and prefer the Duluth shirts with extra length. I can reach for stuff on the top shelves at stores without CW exposure, though we are protected from inadvertent exposure by law here in FL.
    +P Underwood 90-grain Gold Dots for me in the P380. This was Buffalo Bore until they stopped getting Gold Dots. The +P is like shooting full-magnum .357 in a 2" snubbie.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    NewWaveGuy, mj9mm and kahrcarrier like this.
  5. unit1069

unit1069

Of the three self-defense pistols I own the smallest (8-round) is carried mostly in warm/hot weather. The sub-compact (10-round) gets carried in cool weather, and compact (13-round) is primarily carried in the January-February period.

Considering my particular circumstances I don't expect to become involved in a potentially life-or-death situation although I know that can certainly happen. Ease and confidence in concealment for my circumstances are more important than sheer power and capacity.

6. Terry G

Terry G

Get a good Custom holster and you can have both. CZ P-01 and CZ 97b. OWB.

7. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

8. ScotchWhisky

ScotchWhisky HEMIs, guns, and booze

I chose concealment, but that really applies more to my work day. When off work, that matters much less. I'll often switch from IWB to OWB when I'm off. The weight of the gun is a bigger concern for me due to back issues.

9. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

I carry a Glock 20. 10mm love.
    If you are comfy w a 5 shot 38. Cool.
    Me? I am good w 16 and a reload. Why?
    Because I can!!

10. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

When I quit working two weeks ago, during which I carried about 30-pounds of duty gear... now the biggest sidearm I can think of seems like it weighs nothing. I'll carry something small occasionally but a 48-oz steel gun feels like a feather.

11. Kennydale

Kennydale

G17 Keepers Cornerstone.jpg

G17/4 AIWB for the last 6 years. (latest holster is a Keepers Cornerstone) it will also hold my G19/4 & G26/3. Excellent Holster!

ak103k and glock1097 like this.
  12. ede

ede

Yes, carry the same thing for well over ten years now, G32 in Galco VHawk.

13. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

I think it was Clint Smith that said "Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable"
    I carry my G45 in a smart carry holster year round and barely notice it anymore.

14. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

A wise man once said, "A gun is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable". Served me well.

glock1097 likes this.
  15. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

Ten years ago, I would have said concealment and dress around the gun. Now I’m all about comfort. Now that I’m in the comfort game (and it’s easier to conceal), I have it with me every time I step out of the house.

Besides, the P365XL is comfortable, easy to conceal, and is a great shooter with 13 on board.

16. IvanVic

IvanVic

For the most part, comfort and concealment are the same thing. It’s very rare that a gun would be harder to conceal but more comfortable to carry. Small guns are more comfortable and easier to conceal.

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Comfort is main issue for me, weight being the primary factor in that vs size. 30 ounces is my upper limit for limited carry, and about 25 ounces for all day carry. P365 for me.

18. awildmanwith1

awildmanwith1

Had no choice but to vote concealment
    Try living in Florida in the summer 100 degrees out 100% humidity it's hard to conceal a 500 magnum under a pair of nut huggers a wife beater top and a pair of flip-flops.
    So I settled on an m&p shield .45 that hides easy while wearing khaki shorts and a long t-shirt
    I'm not losing the flip-flops though.

19. mj9mm

mj9mm

i worked at the Church today for 7 hours ripping out carpet, cutting out drywall(or wetwall to be more precise), sweeping up the flooded mess from a storm. i carry a gun that conceals while working in close relationship to others. it may be small but it gives me 7 rounds if the unthinkable happens. i prefer to carry all the time, i don't want to leave it locked in the car trunk. i've been carrying like this for years for similar situations and for any situation. i carry when many will say why not leave it in the car or in the house so more often than not i carry small. when i know i am going somewhere where i am not at risk of exposing my weapon i will carry larger.

Cabel67, glock1097, mongo356 and 2 others like this.
  20. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Dress around the pistol! My go to is an HK P30S .40. I carry a Glock 22 Gen. 4 and an Arex Delta also. Occasionally, I carry a Walther PPS M2 when on my boat in shorts.