Does coffee expire?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

I have several little vacuum sealed blocks of coffee purchased from the grocery store. They are about two years old now. Still sealed and holding their vacuum. Does this coffee expire or go stale? There is no expiration date on the package.

2. treeline

treeline

If it's sealed, the coffee won't go bad, it just gets stale. It won't taste as good as fresh coffee and will probably be quite bitter, maybe even too bitter to drink. It won't make you sick.

3. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

It's pretty much expired when it hits the urinal.

Jack

4. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

Coffee has a 10-14 day shelf life after roasting it.

Most people drink coffee long beyond that period, which is why they expect that coffee is "supposed to be bitter" without sugar and other junk in it.

Can you drink stale coffee? Sure. Do you want to? Probably not.

5. AA#5

AA#5

:rofl: Same with beer, eh?

6. Black Dog Coffee

Black Dog Coffee

The short answer is:
    Don't worry. Coffee does not really "expire" as it does not harbor bacteria or cross-contaminate. As treeline said, the flavors will degrade but it won't hurt you.

The long answer is:
    It was already stale when it was packaged. Had to be in order to maintain a vacuum seal. The reason is that fresh coffee gives off CO2 for several days after roasting. If they tried to vacuum seal it during that time the bags would just puff right back up. Have you ever noticed a little vent button on many coffee bags? That is a one-way valve that allows fresh coffee to off-gas and escape through the valve without letting oxygen back in. Oxygen is the enemy of freshness. Coffee is at its peak flavor within 10-14 days of roasting.

7. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Last year I gradually stocked up on roasted coffee, in 2.5 lb. factory vacuum sealed foil bags (3 brands), keeping up to 10 bags in closed food grade buckets, each bag labeled with date of purchase.

When we tried the oldest, about 10 months, it was stale, not very good but we drank it. In the six month old batches, I still detected some stale oil character. The three month old coffee was OK. In the future I will avoid storing roasted coffee beyond four months.

My next project will involve buying and storing green coffee beans, then roasting them close to the time of brewing.

8. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

If you are interested in roasting...

www.sweetmarias.com

Great place to read bean and equipment reviews, buy green beans, roasting and brewing equipment, etc. Tom is a good guy and doesn't BS on his reviews.

9. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Thanks, that looks perfect, I'll read up. I've read that fresh unroasted beans will hold well in cold storage. Had any experience with that, or know of any factors influencing longevity?

10. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

Unroasted beans will keep for a long, long time. Keep them in your climate-controlled home, not the garage, and keep them dry and out of sunlight. They'll be fine.

11. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I had about 15 jars of Folgers Instant get moldy in the (sealed) jars after some years.

I've got a bunch of big sealed cans of Folgers Regular that I've had for years. The last one I opened, a couple years ago, was still good.

12. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

:animlol:

:50cal: