close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

does anyone set up an entire stage at the range?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by william_h, Mar 13, 2004.

1. william_h

william_h

something like a 5 to Glock with all five targets set up at once? do most ranges allow that kind of practice?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

I can't speek for other ranges but the local range that I frequent does. I always have the setup with me and if I have the range to myself(frequently) I set up the entire 5 to Glock. If there are other shooters I will either just set up one target at 25 yards or 2 targets(1 at 25 and 1 at 10) and just shoot for accuracy between those two.

3. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I have set up the five to GLOCK at a private range. There was also enough pepper poppers to set up the GLOCK M. I miss that range in NC now that I am back in FL.

A Asheville NC Indoor range was the place where I attemted to set up three targets at the 15, 20 and 25 yard lines on three lanes. I was okay with it but the manager said no after I had finished. Have not tried it inside anywhere since.

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

The only way to practice. I used to set up all 3 of the stages all the time.

5. Don At PC

As usual TJC is right on the money. I hope to be able to do just exactly what he says soon, we have a plate rack and poppers being built as we speek. Four of use went in together and split the cost so maybe we can all bennefit. I am also sure TJC would tell you for best results that you should use the exact same ammo for practice as you would use for a match. Practice for accuracy and speed will come with time. If "Old TJC" speeks with shooting advice to improve your score; you should listen. You would be getting advice from the "Best".

6. TJC

Don,
    Thanks for the kind words. But really it is just common sense to do in practice as you want to do in the matches.

Know anyone looking for a 17L with Carver mount and PDP5 setup?

7. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I would be interested in such a setup. A chance to be competitive in UL with out building it all from scratch.

Please send me some info.

:)

8. Don At PC

You are well deserving of those words. As for common sense; thats true but sometimes common sense eludes some people, it did me for a long time.

I don't know of anyone looking for a great 17L setup right now but will put the word out. I still have my "Tweedy Bird" and wouldn't get rid of it. It has really treated me well. If I remember to do my job it is more than ready.

9. TJC

Foto,

Check the Firearms Listings as of about 2 minutes ago. Contact me and we'll talk.

TJC

10. TJC

FotoT,

email with info sent.

11. william_h

william_h

I wish I could find a range here in the DFW area that would let you practice on multiple targets, rapid fire, etc.

12. Roland-G23

Roland-G23 STI Convert

I usually practice the 5 to Glock the most. I can't use the steel at our club unless its for a match so if I setup the Glock M, I do the paper and use 8" cardboard disks on lath for poppers. Those same 8" cardboard disks on lath are used for simulating a plate rack.

Last year at Roseburg they had a plate rack you could warm up on, used to raise money for the host club. This year, I think I'll be making a significant donation. :)

13. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Teammate Ron Young and I keep the 5TG set up at his farm, along with a steel plate rack. If you practice the 5TG, then the Glock M is easy.:cool:

GSSF'ers are welcome to visit and practice with us.:)

14. DP177

DP177

I live in Rochester MN.

I am lucky enough to have a range with access to a plate rack and where I can set up the 5 To Glock and the Glock 'M' complete with poppers. I can't leave it set up but it doesn't take long at all to put together.

When Butch got me hooked on this GSSF stuff, about 4 years ago, we were the only ones shooting it at our range. This year we will have about 9 shooters shooting with us throughout the season.

I would be happy to open the range for practice sessions with GT shooters. Just send me a PM and we will shoot. We had a couple people take us up on this offer last year, but let's start practicing earlier this year. :)

DP

15. Kerrville Dan

Kerrville Dan

I belong to a private club. I petitioned and got approval from the board to shoot Five to Glock targets on the range. I do this when other members aren’t shooting--which isn’t infrequent. I also practice “plates” using paper plates but don’t do Glock M. Nobody was doing anything like this at the club before I started. Now several other members have showed interest in GSSF. I would be willing to let others in the San Antonio area shoot Five to Glock targets with me if they don’t have a facility to do so. I have target stands & rails, NRA D-1 cardboard targets, timer, etc.

16. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Here at our private range, we have one bay dedicated to GSSF all the time. We have even had steel nra-d1 targets made with the A zone cut out of them. You paint them before you start shooting, & the steel lets you know when you don't get an A zone hit. You don't have to walk out & score them. We do, of course, have a paper target at 5 yards on the 5 to G. We hard set our poppers so you don't have to go reset them, either, on the Glock M. I feel very fortunate to be part of this range. Anytime you want to practice GSSF, there is virtually no set up time. By the way, we have "holders" on the back of the steel targets that you can slide a piece of cardboard into if you want to see where you are hitting on the A zone. I also went to a paint store & got them to mix some cardboard colored paint. That was a hoot! You should have seen their faces when I handed them a piece of a target & asked them to match that color. ;e Anyway, we paint the steel that color so it looks like a paper target.

17. william_h

william_h

wow, where is your range?

18. COS#3

COS#3

I remember shooting plates that were on oak 2x4's. The bouncing of the 2x4's just added some fun. ;g Remember that TJC?

19. Don At PC

Now you are asking TJC to show his age. ;f ;f ;f ;c ;c ;c That's okay TJC have another Vodka and Cranberry Juice. ^c ^c ^c

20. TJC

I remember all too well those practice days. Even given the 2x4's bouncing, we must have done something right. I can remember posting some respectable plate runs, no?;)