Does anyone only carry a Glock 42 off duty now?

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by narkcop128, Sep 25, 2020.

1. narkcop128

narkcop128

I had been carrying a Glock 42 and an extra loaded with gold dots. After a recent road rage encounter with a thug I've not been sure that's enough and usually carry a 9mm of some sort now. Anyone think a 42 is enough for just knocking around town?

2. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    No.

3. SAR

SAR CLM

Nope. Minimum carry for me is at least a 9mm with two extra magazines. Currently carrying a SIG P365XL with two 15 round magazines. I do have .380s as back-up guns, and I load them with 95 grain TMJ. I need the penetration with .380, and most tests show hollow points don’t expand well when fired from a .380.

Ohsheepdog and fla2760 like this.
  4. Ftttu

Ftttu

I gave my second G42 to my daughter last year since she lives alone, but I felt confident going out and about with it with the three +1 magazines full of Hornady FTX Critical Defense. (Lucky Gunner showed to be one of the best .380 rounds with consistent expansion of over 1/2" and with penetration depth between 12"-18", which is the FBI standard.) Shot placement is more important with .380s, and I'm confident in my shooting. I wouldn't recommend it for just the regular Joe who isn't confident in their shooting and who hasn't been tested under extreme stress.

I loved shooting the G42 over my more snappier G43, but now that is sold in favor of my SIG P365XL. IF if ever go back into LE, the G42 would most likely be my bug. To add, my first G42 went to my sister after she had an incident.

5. 153

I gave up on the 42 when I got my 43, not much size difference, more confidence in the 9MM.

6. collim1

collim1

For the majority of my LE career I carried a 5 shot .38 airweight revolver as a backup on-duty and as a primary off-duty. I would put that little gun on par with with a G42.

Early on I even ankle carried it a lot. Among my co-workers having anything off-duty put me ahead of the majority. The few old timers who did carry carried .25 and .32 Beretta and Seecamp autos. For most of my career I pocket carried my jframe off-duty, and felt ahead of the curve.

A few years back I decided that a jframe and a speed strip wasn’t enough. But instead of committing to carrying a larger gun, I started carrying my Jframe OWB with a Comp III speedloader on my belt.

My thing was I didn’t like dressing like an off-duty cop. I despised IWB carry and pocket carrying let me dress like a normal dude.

During the short few months of the year with cooler weather I could wear a proper cover and happily carried a full size gun with a spare magazine OWB. But the majority of the year I pocket carried my little revolver.

I practiced with my J frame often and was very proficient with it, but it’s very limited in what it can do. No way around it.

A couple years ago I committed to carrying more gun off-duty. I now carry my 9mm Sig P239 with a spare mag, or a Baby Glock with a G17 mag as a reload. Occasionally just for fun I carry a 3” K frame with a speed loader, but that’s a very capable setup IMO.

I found an IWB holster that I can tolerate and I just deal with it now. It’s worth it to me to have a real gun off-duty. I reserve the j frame for the rare occasion when I need to wear dress clothes.

I also carry a baby Glock as a backup on duty in place of the j frame. When we switched the G17 being issued I made myself commit to carrying the G26. It’s just too good of a combo pass on.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    -JCN-, Ohsheepdog, Lt. Donn and 3 others like this.
  7. Triple Taps

Triple Taps

1st choice: my Sig P226 in .357sig with 3 12rd mags,

2nd Choice: my Glock model 45 9mm with 3 17 round mags.

3rd Remington 870 Police 3" Magnum 12ga backup

Nothing in a .380 for me. I really don't care for anything under a .357sig.

When it the situation calls for use of a firearm, don't underarm, overarm if anything.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    -JCN- likes this.
  8. narkcop128

narkcop128

I really enjoy the comfortable IWB carry of My G42 but the least gun I now carry is my PM9 or Sig P938 and always an extra magazine. I'm retired.

-JCN- and Ohsheepdog like this.
  9. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

I still have my G42, but I haven't carried it alone since society began collapsing a few months ago. I have my G43 and a spare mag for it in my pocket at a minimum, but I've also got a G17 and a G19 that permanently live in my truck and my wife's car respectively.

I'll keep it because if things ever get back to "normal" there are social situations where deep carry of the G42 is the perfect solution.

fla2760 likes this.
  10. k9medic

k9medic

I carry my g42 by policy. It’s that or my issued g19.

Here is the deal though - at first glance you would never mistake me for the police when I’m not in uniform.

I call the g42 my “get back” gun. As in, if I have pulled it out, the objective now to cause the other person to “get back” as I too increase my distance from them.

In my vehicle I always carry my tac vest which has my g19 attached to it. If it has gotten that far, we have a much bigger issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-JCN- and Dukeboy01 like this.
  11. Scott1970

Scott1970

As the times have changed, I’ve gone from a .32 to a G45 for off duty carry. If I have family with me I carry an additional magazine.

-JCN-, Triple Taps and fla2760 like this.
  12. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

These days it’s usually my P365 with a spare mag in my pocket. When it’s not that, it’s my issued G17gen4 with TLR1 HL.

-JCN- and Ohsheepdog like this.
  13. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Just knocking around town? It depends on the town. Do you work in the same area as you live? Are you likely to run into people you have had negative interactions in an official capacity with?

If a low capacity 9mm would do, a 380 with the right ammo in a low threat environment should be fine too if the distances involved are short. An XTP 380 round will make the FBI gel test standard at 10 yards.

14. k9medic

k9medic

This is a good point. I live outside of my jurisdiction.

My caveat to this is that my manner of dress when off duty typically does not support the carry of a larger gun. I own one pair of 5.11’s and they were issued. Rarely wear pants and if I do, it’s a pair of Columbia fishing pants.

Most of the time it’s shorts and flip flops.

My G42 goes with me everywhere while anything larger might cause an issue based upon my clothing choice.

15. narkcop128

narkcop128

I just bought a blue label Glock 43 I'm going to try.

16. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

I think both options would be fine if the right ammo is used under those conditions.

17. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

If you’re law enforcement, and you’re doing that with a 42, I highly recommend you rethink your tactics.

18. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

.380? Eeew. :cool: No, I get it, and I get all the stopping power, placement, pistols are crap, better than the one you left at home tidbits.

If it's the choice between a .380 and nothing, sure. But that's really not the choice, is it? Off duty is a full size gun and a spare magazine. I admit to the jframe when I'm going to be naked or nearly so. (That's the doctor or PT, ya perverts.)

-JCN- and fla2760 like this.
  19. vista461

vista461

When I had one, ought one when it first came out, I used it for a quick running out trip and put it in a pocket holster and tossed it in my pocket.

Now I normally carry a gun with 15+1 rounds of 9mm or .40. If I’m running out and need something slim, it’s my 45 Shield, with a spare mag in my pocket. I have moved out of the metro area to the sticks so I feel a little better if I’m running out quick, to use a lower capacity gun, but still normally carry a 15+1 gun.

20. k9medic

k9medic

What do you think is missing? You do realize that question was about carrying a G42 while off duty right?

After 22 years including assignments in k9, narcotics and the tactical unit I'm pretty sure my tactics are sound and while on and off duty but if I'm off duty I’ll be a good witness rather than a hero any day.

-JCN- and slamdunc like this.