Does anyone know what caliber weapon was used to kill Harambe the silverback gorilla?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by davethehiker, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davethehiker

davethehiker

Sad, but I'm glad they were able save that little kid.

2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

It was a rifle, but have no clue what caliber.

3. lazarus66

lazarus66

Maybe they'll give the meat to a homeless shelter. I hear monkey is mighty good eatin"

Bullman and Dr. Bill like this.
  4. sixgun2

sixgun2 packin heat

I'm thinking 308. There's several in the cat family that tip the scales up to two hundred pounds more than he did. Media said he weighed in at four hundred and twenty.they would need the fire power to stop anything that size.

mrmedina and Dr. Bill like this.
  5. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

308 could be considered light for the range of animals at a zoo.

I'd bet 270 or 30.06 at least ... more likely something in the elephant gun range

6. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Any word how the kid got in there? The little bit of vidio news showed the kid (appeared) to be treated gently.. And (reporter said but did not show) that the gorilla only grabbed kid, ran off to shelter when it felt the child was in danger.

thing is there should have been no way the kid got in there. After 30+ yrs.

Berto likes this.
  7. kiole

kiole

I believe he slipped between or under a barrier and was able to fall into the containment area. The gorilla started dragging the kid pretty violently in other videos.

While it's a tough decision to kill the gorilla, I'm guessing they weren't comfortable trying to use other techniques. I read they usually would leave the kid for special treats but if that goes wrong the zoo looks bad. Supposedly it's happened at other zoos and they've been able to lure the gorillas away. The difference is the other animals acted calmer and in one case actually protected the human and brought them to the trainers.

Dr. Bill likes this.
  8. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Jungle Jack Hanna, huge animal lover and activist for them, said the zoo people did the right thing. He said those gorillas can squash a skull with one squeeze. He said the life of a human is move valuable than the life of an animal. Weird, huh?

9. PattonWasRight

PattonWasRight

Even if trying to protect the kid, he was flinging him around like a ragdoll, the kid coulda' been killed in an eyeblink

10. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

"Hey man, does this taste like silverback gorilla or mountain gorilla to you? 'Cuz I really hate roast mountain gorilla!"

cougar_ml likes this.
  11. kiole

kiole

Ya I'm not so sure he was trying to protect this kid. In the videos the news showed it appeared he was relatively gentle. Others videos show the kid being rag dolled.

The mother should be up for mother of the year after this debacle. She should be forced to shovel gorilla crap for a year.

12. SCHADENFREUDE

SCHADENFREUDE

10MM all the way. They need to anti-meat stick these animal enclosures. I hate to see good animals killed for future voters against liberty.

refugeepj likes this.
  13. moeman

moeman

Airifle BB sized pellet?

Or

.600 nitro express...

???

bnlchris18 and nateo200 like this.
  14. Hines57

Hines57 Simple Member

15. njl

njl Crusty Member

Typical modern zoo design uses moated exhibits. There's generally a short / ineffective railing closest to the public, and then a very short chain link fence, short hedge, drop-off into the moat, several yds wide wet moat, and then varying degrees of "rock face" leading up to the animals exhibit area. An unsupervised child can easily get under/through the railing, over/across the low fence and hedge, and then fall into the moat. The kid's lucky to have survived the fall...I wouldn't have thought the wet moat would be deep enough to survive the fall without serious injury.

The sad thing is, watching the video, it really looks like Harambe was being protective of the child, as if the child were a young gorilla. Had he wanted the kid dead, he wouldn't have lasted 5 seconds.

I guess we should expect updates to moat design to include shock wires on the public side to keep idiots and their children out...they've been used on the animal side (inside the top of the public side of the moat) for many years to discourage those animals that might scale the moat for some freedom.

Mayhem like Me likes this.
  16. r3dot

r3dot

Good question. I'm also curious who is employed as the 'shooter.' I'm assuming it was zoo staff, but obviously not a regular zoo keeper. Seems risky to shoot it while it's holding the kid. I'm guessing it was a head shot taken pretty close by.

TX OMFS likes this.
  17. Ross-in-Pa

Ross-in-Pa Western Pa

When I was growing up, zoos had the animals in cages. With bars. Some people thought that was cruel, and wanted the animals in a more natural environment without visible barriers.

These types of incidents are the direct result of the cage-free environment.

packinaglock likes this.
  18. kiole

kiole

I do wonder if vistors had left the area and mom of the year stopped yelling at the kid that MOMMYS STILL here if the gorilla would have been calmer.

mc1911 likes this.
  19. kiole

kiole

No these incidents are the direct result of bad parents and it's unfortunate the mother didn't fall instead.

IMO if we're going to place these types of incredibly intelligent animals in confinement we have a responsibility to treat them humanely as possible. If we can't provide them a suitable habitat while providing pedestrian security we have no business confining these animals.

20. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.