close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anyone here shop at Harbor Freight?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sheriff733, Aug 8, 2012.

1. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

I just left my local HF and I usually find some awesome deal most anytime I visit.

This time, I found a 3/8" drive 40 piece socket set for...$3.99 with a lifetime warranty. :dancingbanana:

Anyone but me shop at HF?

2. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

The place is like a crackrock. I hit it hard anytime I'm near there.

I'm glad it's 35 miles away.

It's kinda like a damned Dollar Store. I can't get outta either place, even when I went in to get nothing, without spending at least $20.

I think they're in cahoots with the Devil. :supergrin:

3. XDRoX

XDRoX

I'm remodeling my bathroom. Last Saturday I went to slide in my new shower pan. It didn't fit. I needed to take a 1/16th of an inch off each wall. It would have taken hours to sand.

Ran to HF and bought an electric planer for $31. Did the job in about 3 minutes. Best $31 I've spent in a long time :supergrin:

For things like this HF rocks.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. sheriff733

I never thought about it like that, but yes, it's like a dollar store I don't hate being drug to. :supergrin:

I too am an addict.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

I love Harbor Freight. We have a new store just opened called Northern Tool & Equipment. Just like Harbor Freight and they are only a couple miles from each other.

/

6. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

I find some gadget I bring home every time I go in one.:supergrin:

7. sheriff733

Yeah, we have one of those here too. Not near as convenient for me because of where I live, but still a great place to shop.

8. token5gtd

token5gtd

Northern Tool usually carries stuff of a little higher quality than HF, often times it will be the exact same products though... all from China.

9. cgwahl

cgwahl Sheriffs a near

Occasionally I will go inside if I am near one. While their stuff isn't high quality, for me it does the job.

Can sometimes find some neat stuff in there too.

10. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

A co-worker of mine loves the place, and I used to always razz him about HF having crappy tools, just to get him going....but when I started to buy my own tools for work, I ended up getting a lot of stuff from there.

Here's a tip....check out their Pittsburgh Pro Swivel head ratchets. I just picked up the 1/4" & 3/8" drive versions. I have the exact same Snap-On ratchets at home, and the Pittsburgh ones feel pretty good for the price. The Snap-On ones cost like $150 combined. The Pittsburghs cost $27 for both.

11. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

I go in occasionally for consumables and air connectors and such. Decent deals on gloves and safety glasses as well.

Pretty much skip it on real tools.

Edit: I have to add that their quality has gone up significantly.

12. huaco

huaco

It has been awhile since I've been in one but I go to HF about like I go to gunshows; to look around and on some occasions I may spend some money there. The last time I was in a HF it really save my bacon:

I had just checked into a shabby motel in Youngstown, OH for the start of a long job. I had found a good place to hide my pistol lockbox under the sink but while getting it out I dropped the lockbox containing my gun through a large opening in the floor where the plumbing came into the room. They were about five feet below he floor laying in the mud. I could not reach them and crawling in there would have meant crawling through about 40 ft of mud and who knows what else.

I remembered a HF store nearby and went there to find a 200 lb pull magnet and some parachute chord for about $10 and had my stuff back in less than 10 minutes.

On another occasion I had been resisting the urge to own an infrared thermometer. I needed one of these like a hole in the head but I'm a fool for gadgets and eventually would have paid $30 or more for a cheap one. While perusing the junk at HF I found one for just under $10. It does not focus a narrow beam like a good one but I can point it at a wall or the ground and read the temperature. It even includes a clock, ambient temperature thermometer with alarms and more. I don't use it much but now I won't be wasting $30 or more to scratch a silly itch.

If I needed some serious tools I would go somewhere else.

13. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Exactly what I was about to post.

It's odd, isn't it? You never had a clue that you needed some thing like that until you saw it.

I can't leave without spending money. I walked out with a bunch of flashlights and batteries for my kid just the other day; I walked in with the intention of just walking around. I'm always wrong.

14. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Ditto. HF is SPECTACULAR for when you need a cheap POS tool to get one or two jobs done. It won't necessarily hold up for long or work well without fiddling a lot, but when you need a tool to do one little thing and don't want to spring for the good stuff HF is awesome.

And occasionally you find a real gem there. :supergrin:

15. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I'll admit I am not too into tools, but seems like they have some good deals. If others are going, I will go too. I have bought gloves, batteries etc... I have noticed that sometimes you get free stuff w/purchase which is cool.

16. sheriff733

I also picked up a 2.5 ton low profile floor jack (very impressed at the quality) for $79.99 and a 230 ft/lbs electric impact wrench for $49.99. Never even knew they made and electric impact wrench but that will save me a heck of a lot of time over using my air compressor to change out the blades on my Hustler Mini Z.

Like many have said, you don't need "that one tool" until you see it and think, "Hey, I could use that for..."

:supergrin:

17. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Yes I do. I just bought a Chicago Pneumatic air compressor. Belt drive, 2hp 125psi and some air tools. I did buy the extended warranty for the compressor. :whistling: I am aware of the limitation of HF stuff. But, so far, it's working great. :cool:

For a friends housewarming gift, I went to HF and filled up one of the yellow tool bags with $100 of various tools she would need around the house. For no more than she will use them, HF tools are great.

18. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

I like GOOD tools. There's nothing quite like a good tool. The build quality radiates in your hand, and you can rely on it for a job well done.

But dangit, sometimes I just need something to use once or twice and Harbor Freight is going to have what I need for a price I can't pass up. It is a wonderland.

19. Louisville Glocker

Louisville Glocker Urban Redneck

I have one three miles from my house, so yeah, I end up there frequently when doing projects. There is a Lowes near there, and I always hit Harbor Freight first. Usually, half the price or less for most tools. Not the greatest stuff, but bought an air compressor for a big flooring job and it did it all and kept on working for framing out a big shed, and it is still going years later.

While I appreciate good tools, I also appreciate hundreds of extra dollars in my pockets.

20. ray9898

ray9898

All the time, loads of hand tools and air tools. Much of the stuff I have had for many years and it just keep plugging on. Its not Snap On but it also cost 1/5th as much and works fine for my weekend warrior handyman use.