Does anyone here believe in karma?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sombunya, Oct 26, 2020.

1. professor kv

professor kv Hey! Who turned out the lights?

Exactly. However, for folks who believe death is the end, that doesn't work.

pairof44sp and mike from st pe like this.
  2. Lonestar 48

Lonestar 48 Silver Member

I think people join karma with reap what you sow. Karma is intentional for the Buddhist's next life, while reap what you sow has meaning for the Christian's life on earth, as you can't "earn" your way into Heaven. For both religions, the hope is that a person will intentionally be good and not have to worry about bad coming around to bite them in the behind.

NMG26 and G-nineteen like this.

3. alank2

alank2

I don't believe in karma, but I absolutely believe in spiritual protection from God.

I believe He even protects those who don't belong to Him. Until... they open their mouth and say something incredibly foolish, which I believe opens them up to being sifted by the devil. I've seen this play out time and time again, and I'm sure some might call it karma, but it isn't.

Be wise with your words! Do not invite trouble!

pairof44sp likes this.
  4. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Absolutely. However I get very disappointed when evil people don't get theirs(Bad Karma). Still it's basically a "Reap What You So" kinda thing. The mayor of NYC killed a lot of people by his actions or inactions but he still lives. Well I certainly try to have good Karma. Later.

5. Resqu2

Resqu2

Just saw an awful story where a passenger in a van leaned out and shoved a cyclist causing her death, when he shoved her he lost his balance and fell out, slid 150ft hit a light pole and was DRT. If that’s not Karma I don’t know what is.

6. Vito

Vito

Create your own karma. It’s a delusion to think there is some type of grand plan with justice meted out. The rich and powerful want the poor and helpless not to rebel, and so they fool the poor into believing that they will be rewarded in some future life.

treg and NMG26 like this.
  7. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Too late for Fullclip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mike from st pe and Jonesee like this.
  8. Otto Pistol

Otto Pistol

Now that’s funny!

ThatGuyYouKnow likes this.
  9. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Gave a like for writing “planets align.” I keep hearing people say “stars align.”
    Stars don’t move around; planets do. That’s why planets are gods and stars their mere wayposts.

NMG26 and Jonesee like this.
  10. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

I looked up what the word karma actually means in Hindi, since it’s a Hindi word.

A pet peeve of mine is people smugly declaring that they don’t believe in X, without finding out what the word X means. Such as “I don’t believe in the Christian God,” without having spent even a minute trying to find out what it is that the word “God” is referring to in the Bible.

According to a Hindi dictionary, Karma means “deeds.” It also means “duties.”

The claim that ones deeds, and ones performance or nonperformance of duties, have consequences for oneself seems reasonable to me.

selogic, NMG26 and Jonesee like this.
  11. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Here is one way to look at it:

Think of a man who commits evils to get rich, and never suffers for it. Now look at his children. Dad was evil to them too, and they grow up all screwed up in the head. After Dad’s death, they blow the fortune, never amount to much, and fail to raise families of their own.

Dad’s line of descendants fails to prosper, and eventually it is extinguished. Dad fails to achieve the immortality available to us all. Karma.

12. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

It is such a cretinous disbelief — if they weren’t so arrogant and smug, these disbelievers would merit pity.

My favorite thing about conservatism is the conservative belief that the elders had wisdom to offer.

My least favorite thing about leftism is the belief that wisdom did not exist in the world prior to roughly 1965.

13. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Exactly.

Newton wasn’t only talking about physics when he wrote that line. In fact, he wasn’t talking about physics at all.

14. pairof44sp

pairof44sp

Wow. Serious wisdom right here.

NMG26 likes this.
  15. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I read through the thread and was pleasantly surprised! There is conscious thought going on around GT!

I am not a church person but have always known the truth about this place. We are put here to learn, experience and grow. Everything here is recycled. Absolutely everything including the "soul" that we develop is reused. Where that entity (soul) goes after this is not for me to know. I know that's it's part of a plan, however.

We over simplify "Karma" I don't see it as a cash register where we input something, then make a withdrawal. We are on a journey of learning and growing. As we progress along the road, we are confronted by many "Y" shaped intersections. The road to the right brings us closer to the "LIGHT." The road to the left, takes us farther from the light towards cold and darkness.

Each decision we make (to do good or to do bad) moves us closer or farther away from the light. After many bad decisions we can be in total darkness and despair. After many good decisions, we get closer to the warmth of the light. The changes made by each decision are small, but they add up at the end.

A good example in MY journey is my little dog, Jake. That dog has taught me more about unconditional love, being gentle, caring and sharing than I've ever known in my 74 years! Jake has made me a better person!

Flash

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    treg and professor kv like this.