Does anyone here believe in karma?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sombunya, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Sniff

Sniff

I don’t believe in karma, but I often enjoy schadenfreude.

2. Aurora

Aurora

Yes, I'm a believer.... but not the same way that most do.

There is a part of your mind that nobody can fool, including yourself. If it believes that you deserve bad things, it's gonna happen.

V.

3. DAKA

DAKA

I do not believe....as noted too many LOW LIFE POS's (P'sOS ?) "Get away with it"

IamtheNRA and sombunya like this.
  4. sombunya

sombunya Use it up, throw it away

Sure. First, Karma as I understand it means you reap what you sow. I'm not real sophisticated so if there's a deeper more thorough explanation, I haven't grasped it.

I've seen many good people go before their time and quite a few bad ones living large. I started this thread because I'm going to a funeral today of a friend who was by most measures a very good guy. Christian, very moral, always trying to influence others to live that way without being in anyone's face. He crashed on a motorcycle and lingered for two weeks.

We adopted my wife's niece six years ago. Her sister died of cancer at 39 despite living a clean life. Our daughter is doing well going to college earning almost straight A's in chemistry and physics. Her outlook on everything is great and she will most likely do very well in life, much better than her father (in Thailand) would have been able to provide for her.

Then there are the bad ones. I can provide more of course but that's my idea.

I also believe there is so much that is yet to discovered or understood about our existence. Compare life today to one hundred years ago, then two hundred etc. Back then no one could have dreamed all this. If we manage to survive without incinerating the planet what will life be like one thousand years from now? I'd like to listen to a group of smart people discuss that one.

5. Jonesee

Jonesee

Karma is Buddhism's answer to heaven and hell.
    Your good or bad rebirth is determined by your good or bad intentional life actions.

Mindfulness, intentionally act (by word and deed) to do good and you will have a good rebirth. Intentionally act to do bad and...

Buddhism's principles are pretty amazing if you dig into it. Buddhists don't commit violent acts in the name of their religion. Not many religions can claim that.

pairof44sp, G-nineteen and cruz lee like this.
  6. Cmacc

Cmacc

It’s interesting that many who cannot believe that there is a infinitely powerful, knowing, relational creator of the world, CAN believe that there is a cosmic calculator that processes and weighs every purposeful act and thought, and every random event and metes out some form of balancing retribution or merit in this infinitely complex world.

While others believe that there is nothing but randomness and dumb luck in every event and every organism that exists yet maintain a belief in an existence of a moral standard of behavior and right and wrong.

I am a Christian, I struggle every day with understanding how my God calls me to act and interact with the world around me and with my fellow man. I do find evidence of objective meaning, beauty, and design wherever I look. I challenge myself by listening to the teaching and conversations of others who are deep thinkers on such topics.

Blessings to all....

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=noj4phMT9OE

pairof44sp and Lonestar 48 like this.
  7. Gokyo

Gokyo

I hate to say it... But yeah probably.

Jonesee likes this.
  8. billorights

billorights

I'm afraid of karma. Otherwise I would be a pirate.:arg:

Jonesee likes this.
  9. oldmick

oldmick

Karma, the world is round, what goes around comes around... ya I think there’s some truth to it.

10. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

I believe that the good you do comes back to you.

11. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Wel, this is anecdotal, but, as I get older, I notice a lot of folks - perfect strangers - being very nice to me and helping me out when I need it, just like I used to help older people when I was young.

And it’s not just holding doors open and such. A few years ago, we were in London staying at the Rembrandt near the V and A. The closest tube stop to it does not have a lift. We took the tube directly from Heathrow, and were struggling up the stairs with our big suitcases during afternoon rush. Three people we didn’t know, two young men and a woman, stopped. The guys handed their packages to the women, and then each one took one of our suitcases and carried them up the steps. They gave us our luggage, wished us well, the woman handed the guys back their packages, and then they left in three different directions. They were not even traveling together!

Make of it what you will, but I say a little prayer for their happiness.

12. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

13. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

I have seen too many examples of " Karma is a ***** " to not believe.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

Nope.

All one has to do is look at the majority of US politicians, to see that crime does pay.

IamtheNRA and sombunya like this.
  15. Glockbug

Glockbug Essential Deplorable

https://www.thoughtco.com/short-history-of-violent-buddhism-195794 Just an FYI. Buddhism has many interesting ideas and most Buddhists are peaceful. However they are flawed humans just like everyone else and some who claim that they are Buddhists do commit violence. Peace

pairof44sp likes this.
  16. drumgod

drumgod

I believe that if you try to do right by people, they will try to do the right by you. Is there some sort of cosmic score sheet controlling your future? I do not believe so.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  17. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

I don't think a force besides humans plays a role in our fortunes, but I refuse to state that karma does not exist, there is no God, there is no afterlife.

Who can possibly claim such omniscience? Seriously, who can claim such incredible knowledge and wisdom as to how the universe exists and handles love and hatred, pity and revenge?

What I DO believe, more than anything, is that nobody besides ourselves can make us happy, and nobody besides ourselves can make us unhappy. I treat others well because it makes me happy. That is true of the VAST majority of people. uhlawpup's tale is one of millions happening every day. It really is.

I drive from my gorgeous home back to California for business more than I care to admit, and while traveling I will see a stranded motorist basically every time. If I see the motorist already has help, I continue on my way. That happens probably 90% of the time.

If I see nobody has stopped to help yet, I pull over and offer assistance. If the driver needs help, I wait to make sure he or she gets the help. It's not a big deal. Really, it isn't.

And while driving, I make sure that other motorists are not screwed by my own driving. A driver is in the right lane, but approaching a hill and the truckers in that lane are slowing down? Flash the brights and let the driver know it's cool to move over to my lane.

Hold a door open. Smile at strangers. Offer to help. Help out traffic. Pay attention to others. Don't be so self-absorbed we miss when others need a little help. Do that at least once per day. If all of us do just that - nothing really - the world is a better place.

Will that make my karma better? Personally I don't think so, but am I the ultimate arbiter of good and bad, reward and punishment? Of course not. I do know that if I meet others and they treat me like I treat others, I have nothing to worry about, and that is plenty good enough for me.

18. knoxrocks222

knoxrocks222

If someone does wrong by you, more than likely that’s how they are living their life. It will eventually arch up to them....such is karma

19. rayzer007

rayzer007

I thought her name was Kamala!?!

20. chewybaca67

chewybaca67

Yep. Sure do. Being Navajo, perhaps the most superstitious tribe in the country, Karma is a way of life. Be it good karma or bad karma. It's simply the application of physics to other life dimensions. The spiritual world, the social world, etc. Everything has an equal and oppisite reaction.

pairof44sp, Glockbug and Jonesee like this.