Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why you never see anyone reviewing/ talking about crossdraw holsters any more.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Just wondering why you never see anyone reviewing/ talking about crossdraw holsters any more.
It is a matter of personal preference IMHO. Some of the arguments against it are that it takes a split second more time to cross draw and in a frontal attack, it would be easier for said attacker to interfere with your draw vs. drawing from your strong side and using the opposite side of your body to shield your drawing motion. I am sure there are many other opinions on this matter and you will probably hear most of them shortly.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems to me that since your garments open that way naturally, it would be faster to access your pistol. If your left side was turned toward your assailant, all you would have to do is clear the holster to fire. I don’t carry, so maybe I’m missing something.

·
Florist
20,600 Posts
Not sure I see any tactical advantages in a cross-draw (IWB or OWB) vs strong side appendix carry.

Also, I carry my cellphone (in a carrying case) on my weak side at about the 10:00 o'clock position, so every time I reach for my phone would potentially expose the cross-draw carried G19.

·
USMC 8531
2,574 Posts
My shooting buddy carries cross draw when he's CCW. He's a bit bigger around the midsection and says he finds it easier to conceal it and draw it with the clothes he chooses to wear. If it works it works I guess.

·
NRA Life Member
69,073 Posts
I cross draw sometimes. Sometimes it conceals better and it's better if you are driving or riding in a car a lot. I have an El Paso Double Agent cross-draw holster for a 1911, a homemade cross-draw for my J frames, and a homemade cross-draw and a Galco for my Ruger Vaqueros.

Reactions: 5Sensify

·
NRA Life Member
69,073 Posts
My shooting buddy carries cross draw when he's CCW. He's a bit bigger around the midsection and says he finds it easier to conceal it and draw it with the clothes he chooses to wear. If it works it works I guess.
I was thinking that being fat would be a major reason NOT to crossdraw, since it would make it hard to reach the gun.

Reactions: MO Fugga

·
USMC 8531
2,574 Posts
I was thinking that being fat would be a major reason NOT to crossdraw, since it would make it hard to reach the gun.
He's not fat just a bit of a gut. he's also got arms like an orangutan that might make a difference I don't know. I know I don't find cross draw comfortable with my clothes.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Not for or against, but does a crossdraw almost automatically make you muzzle sweep your own body (specifically the weak-side arm)?
Crossdraw is my perferred carry option.
Easy to conceal and very comfortable.
Particularly adventitious when driving or seated.
Being a martial artist, my left hand is instinctively already up and out of the way during a draw.

·
Man, I'm Pretty
30,985 Posts
I've been kinda Jonesing for a Kimber K6 3 inch in a cross draw as a secondary.

Nothing says, "I ain't done yet" quite like 6 rounds of .357 Magnum.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Reactions: MO Fugga

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Crossdraw is my perferred carry option.
Easy to conceal and very comfortable.
Particularly adventitious when driving or seated.
Being a martial artist, my left hand is instinctively already up and out of the way during a draw.
Exactly what I was thinking about (having that hand up to block an attacker).
I wonder about the non-trained (untrained?) person though, having to make the conscious effort to move that arm when drawing.

I had thought about crossdraw because it seems more "natural" than having to pull that dominant elbow up high, then even a bit higher to unholster.
My time-to-target from a concealed draw averages about 1.6, but I've never tried it crossdraw.
'Would be interesting (but not worth the price of buying yet another holster, IMHO).

·
Registered
965 Posts
I wore a gun in a crossdraw position only once as I tested some holsters for Crossbreed's modular bellyband. I was visiting a friend who was employed in a convenience store, and I was not unhappy about being armed with three guns at a convenience store.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts