Does anyone carry a S&W 629 Backpacker (2-1/2”.44) IWB?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by First shot, Aug 25, 2019.

1. First shot

First shot

After a few recent flare ups of rheumatoid arthritis that klobbered my hands this time, I’m considering selling/trading two pistols (Gen 4-26, and M&P .45 Compact) for one everyday revolver... I’d like six rounds over five and thinking .44 or .357...A 2-1/2”-3” barrel...Grip size and bulk are important for concealment and comfort...but of course quality and dependability are #1...the Backpacker would work if it’s easy to CC...any ideas? Thanks, First shot...

2. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

If concealed carry and bulk, as in too much, are concerns, you can rule the .44 mag out. In a six shot version it's an N-frame size gun, which is very big by concealed carry standards. I know I wouldn't want it inside my waistband. A 44 mag out of a 2.5" barrel is severely limiting the cartridge's potential in terms of velocity and subsequent energy, especially combined with arthritic/recoil sensitive hands. I'd be looking at the 357. Personally I like adjustable sites on my revolvers, but that's up to you. I'd be looking at the lightweight Ruger LRC in 357 or an all stainless model from SW or Ruger.

First shot likes this.

3. John_AZ

John_AZ

D2AD140F-7E7A-4388-9F12-953C21BD3FF9.jpeg

I’m a fan of my 66-8. But some pachmyr compact grips on it. K Frame, carries well for me.

4. TeaDub

TeaDub

A smallish 44 Magnum with active rheumatoid arthritis? No thanks. Ditto with a really light weight 357 Magnum such as the LCR.

Wanting 6 shots in a medium weight and size 357 would have me looking at the Kimber K6S DA/SA as the first contestant. If used is an option, many 3" K-frames or perhaps a 2 3/4 Ruger Speed Six line guns are still nice and to be found.

fredj338 and First shot like this.
  5. Quickling

Quickling

I occasionally carry a 2 5/8s inch 41 mag AIWB and I actually find it pretty comfortable to do so. But at 46 ounces loaded, it can get heavy at times, especially after a long hike.

Same position with a K frame is a lot easier to handle over longer time.

First shot likes this.
  6. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Shoulder holster works well!

First shot likes this.
  7. First shot

First shot

I was thinking 44 special for carry, but I believe that Mountain 10mm is right...rule out the 44...K-frames and the Ruger you mentioned is now where I’m focused...I love the help I get on GT...Thanks...

TeaDub likes this.
  8. pntblnk

pntblnk

Ruger 357 SP101 in 2 1/2 might be the ticket for you. Small grip makes it easy to tuck away and the steel frame gives it some heft for 357 recoil. Can run 38’s through it as well for practice. Have shot a friends several times and always wanted one but never managed to find one when I had the spare cash. Keep waiting for him to offer it up for sale.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    First shot likes this.
  9. DannyB

DannyB

If you had Tinnitus as bad as I have it you wouldn't be considering a 2.5" 357. A 2.5" M66 S&W has to be loudest gun I've ever fired. And I have a S&W 629.

Of course I always wear hearing protection in practice. But that 357 crack is extremely loud. I don't see how anybody could get off a 2nd through 6th round effectively without hearing protection.

You can protect your life with something less likely to ruin your ears for life. There is no cure for Tinnitus.

10. collim1

collim1 5ft of fury. The champ is back!

An N frame IWB? Heck no!

I love my 3” round butt model 64. It’s a great carry revolver. Concealable while still having a full length ejector rod and a full grip.

A 3” K frame would be my choice.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Mtnfolk75, TeaDub, Bus007 and 2 others like this.
  11. ruffhunter

ruffhunter

So you are saying you have rheumatoid arthritis, recent flare up left you worse and it hurts your hands. Now you want a heavy, oversized , overweight gun in a EVEN MORE PUNISHING CALIBER to your hands. Makes zero sense to all of us and we dont get your logic.

Ill play charter .44 or Taurus 856

ithaca_deerslayer and fredj338 like this.
  12. fredj338

fredj338

Have you shot a da revolver much? Something to try with arthritic hands before buying.
    An N frame is bulky, too much so for iwb, mo. Then what are you going to carry in it? Few 44mag sd loads around & then back to controlling that with you condition. A medium frame 2 1/2-3" 357mag would be a better tool imo.
    Unless your arthritis is so bad you cant hold a gun, you might just need to retrain yourself on how you manipulate you semi.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 1:11 AM
  13. fredj338

fredj338

Anything you shoot w/o hearing protection will damage your hearing. Its the trade off, go deaf at an old age or die younger in a fight. Firing the shots & landing hits, your hearing isnt going to affect your shooting at that point.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  14. Edge

Edge Millennium Member

15. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

The N frame isn't horrible or impossible for IWB, it is heavy though. Wear a good belt, get the right holster, and you will be fine.

0726171612.jpg

16. Patchman

Patchman Florist

Ruger SPNY1.jpg
    As others have said, one of the Ruger Six series/K-frame sized guns in .38. Even a SP101 is good.

First shot and fredj338 like this.
  17. 7feKyUnB

7feKyUnB

18. 7feKyUnB

7feKyUnB

M13 S&W 3" barrel allows for a full stroke on the ejector rod and the R.B. frame seems to make full house .357s a little less aggravating to my arthritic hands.

Back when the earth was flat agents assigned to Presidental Detail were issued M13s.

First shot likes this.
  19. tuica

tuica

Man, I’m 66 with Tinnitus, and Arthritic hands. We need a new GT Forum category. Guns for Geezers.

Comparing the two platforms: DA Revolvers easy to load, more difficult to accurately shoot. Semi-autos difficult to stuff those rounds into magazine, (never needed to use magazine loader until recently), but easier to shoot. Pick yer poison.

20. First shot

First shot

Bingo...I’m picking up a Model 66 stainless 2-1/2” today... I think it was finally my turn to be “right place, right time”...excellent condition maybe 25-30 years old..I’ll post some pics later...BTW, my arthritis seems to come as flare-ups that are brutal off and on for a few days...new meds and been good over two months..thanks

ithaca_deerslayer and 7feKyUnB like this.