Does anyone carry a Baton or Pepper Spray

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Current Resident, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Current Resident

Current Resident

I am curious if anyone carried a baton. I am looking to expand my EDC options for when I can't CCW.
    I'm also curious about pepper sprays and how they are carried.
    If you do incorporate these options in your EDC, how do you carry them so that they are deployed easily?
    I've been thinking about this for a long time and would like to hear your feedback, positive or negative.
    Elwood

2. Mark Smeaton

Mark Smeaton

I'll carry an ASP baton in my front or back pocket when I have to disarm; unless I expect to be required to go through a metal detector. Doesn't help me feel protected, a sharp stick may be better; but the ASP is better than nothing.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

OC on key chain. Larger canisters in the vehicle. Key chain works well because A) you always have it with you when you're out, and B) you can have it in your hand when you are transiting to/from your vehicle, which is probably where you would most likely need it.

No baton, not sure how I would even EDC it. Knowing NE Ohio batons probably aren't even legal in half of the cities.

Current Resident likes this.
  4. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

I carry a 2oz can of FOX 5.3 OC spray in my cargo pocket. Most shorts and pants I have are cargo, so that allows me to carry it with ease. On the rare occasion that I don't wear cargo, it gets left behind due to size.

I think it's a handy thing to have on you for those times that a firearm just isn't called for.

5. Current Resident

Current Resident

I like the idea on the key chain and agree with your statement, but like I had told my daughter for a few years now, I compare it to open carry, it eliminates the element of surprise.

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I often include FoxLabs pepper spray in my EDC. I just put it in my pocket.

nursetim likes this.
  7. r3dot

r3dot

Batons are illegal to carry in a lot of states, and kind of silly to carry. Unless you know how to use it, better be prepared for the chance of it getting turned on you.

Stick with fox labs.

8. Mister X

Mister X

A lot of the same principles of concealed carry of firearms apply here. You need to carry them so that they quickly accessible in the dyamics of counter-ambush reactions. ASP or Monadnock carried in holster IWB or OWB depending on attire. For OC spray, I like units that have a clip so that it can be open in easy to access position and a large simple push button, particularly the MK-6 units https://www.copsplus.com/prodnum8464.php A lot of folks get the tiny key chain units with the twist tops and will often stick them in their pocket, but that makes it very hard to deploy quickly and the twist top can be very difficult to operate during a ECQ struggle. Before carrying a collapsible baton, do be sure to check State law as well as local ordances.

9. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

You need to check your state law to see what your permit allows. It varies a great deal from state to state, some states allow almost anything while others will only allow the firearm you have listed on the permit. Be careful if you cross state lines since what may be allowed in your state may get you in trouble next door.

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

My offhand guess is that pepper spray would end up being less of a potential issue and somewhat more useful in the remotest chance it actually had to be used.

nursetim likes this.
  11. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I sometimes carry OC spray for dogs.

DaleG26 likes this.
  12. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Whether I carry a gun or not, I carry pepper spray. I currently carry the Kimber Pepper Blaster, but I'm considering switching to a normal canister spray. The chances of me getting into a deadly force encounter are pretty slim. The chances of me getting into an encounter that is physical, but not deadly force, is much higher. Sure, I have martial arts experience, but I still want other tools at my disposal.

If you want something strictly for places you can't carry, consider the JPX.

zennashton likes this.
  13. A6Gator

A6Gator

Yep. Not every problem is a hammer looking for a nail...

Joshhtn and Mayonator like this.
  14. VinnieD

VinnieD

Pepper spray all the time. It's good to have an alternative to lethal force, and could also be handy for animals. I'm considering switching from a spray to a stream though, as the spray will be very unpleasant if I have to use it indoors or downwind, and the stream will offer a little more reach.

I work in security so I carry a collapsible baton on duty. Like pepper spray it offers me another option besides a gun, and would be handier than pepper spray indoors. Not to mention the intimidation factor of that thing when it goes SHINK. Eyes go straight to it, and guys who think they're tough start to think of what it feels like getting hit with it, and become a lot less aggressive.

In any event, I think it's wise to have at least one other option aside from your firearm.

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

My keys are on an ASP Key Defender. Does what I want it to do. Best part is the inert cannisters for some practice and familiarity.

[​IMG]

16. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

As an LEO, I carried both. Now, neither. Even if legal where you live, a baton is considered a deadly weapon and requires training to use it properly. I never had to deploy it as an LEO, so certainly don't feel the need to carry one now.

17. MedicineBow

MedicineBow Formerly TFLWYO

A baton is a deadly weapon that has some less lethal applications for a properly trained person. Anyone brandishing a baton who is not recognizable as properly trained runs a huge risk of being viewed as a deadly force aggressor.

I am not really a fan of OC because the wind is always blowing around here and because a lot of people can fight through it.

I carry a Persuader/Dejammer or else a Mini-Mag flashlight where I can't carry the Persuader.

kaisooba likes this.
  18. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I can think of many scenarios where pepper spray is a great option to have. I'd encourage anyone that carries it to buy extra and try it out in your backyard, etc. it's good to know what the spray pattern looks like, it's reach, and yes...what it's like when you get some blown back in your face. I haven't been forced to run a course after getting a blast in face. Not a bad idea to try but I seem to always find something better to do.

19. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

20. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I carry a wooden, home-made street defender along with my OC spray and G17.