close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anyone carrry a straight blade in the city?

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by mesteve2, Jan 28, 2010.

1. mesteve2

mesteve2

I have been wanting to carry a straight blade. 4 1/2" to 5 1/2" on belt and

sheath in rear pocket to cover it up what do you think?

I have a Cold Steel Recon 1. A little hard to replace on pocket material.

I have loosened the clip.

Thanks

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

2. kayakjax

kayakjax

I recently got a Bark River North Star I intend to EDC.
    I've ordered a pocket sheath
    http://www.knivesshipfree.com/KSF-Hunter39s-Pocket-Sheath-Brown-1
    to carry it and an LED light in a jacket pocket.
    (The North Star is 8.5" OAL with a 4.5" blade, and is the one in the bottom 4 pictures in sheath link.)
    While this will be okay this winter, I'll see if I can carry it in my back pocket, for next summer.
    I'm expecting sheath in the mail maybe today, so I'll be doing some experimenting with it.
    I love the knife, but don't like to carry it on my belt, because of all the strange looks I get.

Got the sheath, and it works well in a jacket pocket. The BRKT's handle is probably a little thick to carry in a pocket of my jeans. Will probably have to go with a cord wrapped knife for summer.

I have a Kentucky CCDW, and if I can carry a .50GI Glock, I think I'll be okay with a 4 1/2" knife.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010

3. Rick50

Rick50 average guy

I know were I live there is a city ordinance in regards to blade lenth, folding or not, I believe 3" is too long.

thanks
    R

4. cziv

cziv

Yeah a long fixed blade is frowned upon. I pocket carry a Spyderco Street Beat or a RAT Izula in kydex sheaths. You can't even feel them in your pocket. The nice thing is they come out fast and you don't have the extra step of deploying - like a folder. My sheath are very small foldovers with jimping on the front, so they cut down the sheath size a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. That Jim Guy

That Jim Guy

I carried a Cold Steel Tanto in an IWB for years,,,, Strong side hip, right behind my G19.... Worked well for me...

6. natchezz

natchezz

Do you tether them to your belt with paracord so the knife and sheath are pulled free during deployment, or do you use another technique? Not sure what you mean by jimping on the front?

7. cziv

cziv

Hi natchezz,

"jimping" is knife talk for the little grooves that dig into your thumb / fingers.

Spyderco knives are the most recognized for this feature, which allows you to get your thumb locked behind the blade in a thrusting motion.

If you look at the empty kydyex sheath pic, those little notches are there for a similar purpose. When I reach into my pocket and want to draw the knife, my thumb digs into them and the blade releases from the sheath. Otherwise, it stays locked into the sheath as in the pic with the blade inside.

It stays in tight enough to wear it upside down as a neck knife but I like it in my pocket. Hope that helps! :)

8. TattooedGlock

TattooedGlock NRA LIFE MEMBER

I'm in San Antonio also. I've slowly moved away from folders and carry a BRKT Bravo 1 or Gunny on my belt most of the time. I do get an occasional look, but nobody seems to mind. This is Texas and there's plenty of folks with knives or one sort or another strapped to their belt. Once in a while I'll cover it, but not too often. Also, you may want to post this in the knife forum and not the for sale forum. :)

9. drider

drider

I will recommend what i use and carry every dam day, the Ka Bar TDI in the medium 3" inch size, I use it without the ankle holster. I also carry a fixed blade CRKT Crawford N.E.C.K. Pretty much always a fixed blade over a folder.

10. cziv

cziv

How are you packing that longer TDI drider? Did you buy the KA-BAR clip for it?

I've thought about getting one from time to time - very purpose built, nasty little slicer!

+1 on that BRKT Bravo 1, TattooedGlock nice fixed blade.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  11. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

San Antonio only has issue with lock-blade folders. Fixed blades 5.5" and under are good to go.