close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Does anybody shoot buck, with buckshot?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Minuteman, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

I'm thinking of getting a 26" benneli nova, camo, to start hunting. Now that I live near some wild and delicious animals. This will be my only hunting gun for a while.

I know that I can shoot slugs out of a smooth bore, but wouldn't 00 buck shot be a better choice? The area around here is hilly, dense forest, with small clearings. I have walked up on deer many times while walking through the woods. So most of the ranges will be short and fast. Keep in mind I'm a beginner at hunting.
    But it seems most things I read on line say go with slugs. So I would like to draw on your considerable experience.

I don't want to get a rifled shotgun, 'cus I would also like to get some goose and turkey. We also have pheasant and ducks(elk too, but that's by lottery, and my freezer isn't that big). All within an hours drive of my house. Actually I see most of these in my yard, but there is no hunting in the city. I don't want to kill the deer in my yard, their cheaper than lawn ornaments.

So, would you recommend buck shot or slugs for deer in my area with this gun? Any comments on the choice of gun would be welcome, too. It seems like the best all around choice for what I'm gonna TRY to get. I've seen them for $250 new on Gunbroker.

And no, I can't get two barrels right now, I'm just scrapping enough together for the shotgun and the hunters saftey course.
    Thanks in advance.
    :)

2. g21glock

g21glock Millennium Member

Better check your local laws before you use buck shot to hunt. It is illegal here in Tn and Al. Slug only for deer.

Safe shooting

3. noway

noway

{ I know that I can shoot slugs out of a smooth bore, but wouldn't 00 buck shot be a better choice? The area around here is hilly, dense forest, with small clearings. I have walked up on deer many times while walking through the woods. So most of the ranges will be short and fast. Keep in mind I'm a beginner at hunting.
    But it seems most things I read on line say go with slugs. So I would like to draw on your considerable experience.}

It depends on how far the deer is. My grand dad only used buckshot for deer and that was his choice and he limited himself and the range that he could effectively take deer. Remember that buckshot is typically limit to under 50yrds as far as being effective and accurate.

You don't need any special barrel for most rifled slugs and you're Nova would be fine with the barrel it has for slugs. So if you only expect to take deer close in, than go with buckshot but if you don't want to be limited via distance, get a smoothbore slugs ( foster or brenneke style ) and go out and have fun.

4. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

in N.C., buckshot is very popular...i like a longer barrel for buckshot 26" or 30" swings nice. alot of guys on the job-site like the browning golds for their buckshot gun, but i use an 870 with a 26" barrel...browning golds are nice but Expeeeeeensive! save yourself $800 and buy alot of buckshot instead...i looked at the novas before i got the 870 and they look like very rugged guns...

5. skyydiver

skyydiver Gravity Slave

Like G21 said, it all depends on your state laws. Shot is illegal for deer in OK as well. Where do you live?

6. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Two things:

1st, you can find Remington 870 combos (2 barrels, 1 "bird barrel" & 1 "deer barrel") for around $250.

2nd, here in Michigan we call buckshot = "buckwounder"... ;g

7. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I used it once to kill a doe. Wasn't very impressed and won't use it again for deer. Works very well though on yote's, fox and bobcats. Hevi-Shot & Remington are both coming out with hevi-shot Buckshot this year. I would be curious how that would do. I know it carries more energy and penetration down range using the #4's - #7.5's. I'm not going to pay that much more for it though for predator hunting.

8. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

I guess I should have said : Washington state. I think buckshot is legal. I don't have the rules in front of me right now, so now I'm not sure. I think I remember reading it is.

I've been looking for a used 870, with zero luck. All of the used guns I've seen around here suck, and are way over priced. The nova is one of the cheapest I've seen, even cheaper than alot of the used guns I've seen.
    I can't find an 870, with just one barrel, for less than what you can get a new one at wally world. I don't know why. There are very few dealers around here, and they really jack up the used guns, and their condition is pathetic. Not just cosmetic, I mean 30+ year old, rusted, bent, 16 guages for $300. I seriously wouldn't even fire, let alone pay good money for, most of the used guns I've seen around here.
    That's why I was thinking of the 26" nova, camo, 12 guage. $250 plus $19 shipping and a $25 dealer charge, no tax. Hard to beat that. Unless you guys can think of a reason I can't.

:cool:

Shot or slugs?

9. 357glocker

357glocker

I shot a small button buck in North Carolina with 12 ga 00 buckshot. That deer felt no pain whatsoever I believe. He was thrown to the ground so fast I think he probably broke his neck! Granted the distance was a whopping 12 yards but he was not even twiching when I got to him. Coming from nebraska I was skeptical at first to use 00, but after that shot I would not have any ethical problems with using buckshot again within a 30-40 yard range.

10. water_daddy

water_daddy

Buckshot is Thor's hammer within 40yds, but you still have to make the shot count. After 40yds regardless of choke the pattern drastically opens up and it becomes a game of chance. Another thing to consider is a pellet has very poor sectional density, thus it doesn't retain energy very well. At close range it is awesome b/c it dumps nearly 100% of it's energy in 9-15 (00 anyway) wound channels. In a nutshell buckshot very quickly dumps a tremendous amount of lead quite efficiently over a short range into multiple hits on a target. But add alittle distance and all it's devestating power decreases in an almost expotential fall.

11. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Lifetime Member Millennium Member

I have an 18.5" Nova SP (the personal problem solver model) and with regular Remington slugs at 50 yards a 2" group is normal from the prone or bench. I've shot reduced-recoil slugs at 100 from the prone and a forehead shot on a silhouette is easy. Body shots are ridiculously easy. Kneeling at 100, same.

For deer, full power slugs would be the thing, especially with rifle sights or like mine, ghost ring sights. If yours is a bird gun first, get rifle sights (front and back are on the barrel, not one on the reciever) or you can try it with the front bead only....but at 50 yards, it's iffy for slugs.

12. Quake Guy

Quake Guy Superior Member

With an 870, perhaps even a Nova, you can get all sorts of chokes including those with rifling. Not as good as a full rifled barrel, but I bet it would work fine to at least 75 yards.

I suggest 26" barrel. Anything longer would be a pain for turkey and deer. Anything shorter wouldn't track as well for wingshooting...

I would just take a drive to somewhere with more variety. You live in Washington state, can't be that far to a town with a decent gunshop...

13. Esox357

Esox357

Slugs rule, use them. Forget the buckshot. Esox357

14. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

Minuteman,

Are you close to Seattle? You may want to try Central Gun Exchange on 1st Ave in downtown Seattle for a good, used shotgun. Another good shop is Ben's Loan in downtown Renton, WA.

15. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

In some states like Ohio, it is required.

Here in WA, it's rifled sluggs for my deer only.

Mack truck effect just anchoring them to that spot.

With buckshot, they bleed out from loss or shock but not after a good 600 yard run down a slippery ravine!

Within 40 yards limits your shooting options.

A slug is good to 60 plus yards on irons and maybe 75 plus with a scope!

16. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Or DJ's Loan in Bothell too!

17. skyydiver

skyydiver Gravity Slave

To me, just the fact that many states have decided that shot isn't enough makes me lean toward a slug.

18. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

It is legal to use slugs in OH for deer.

I have always used slugs for deer. All of the people I've hunted deer with used slugs. Beside black powder, all of the deer I've taken were with a rem 870 smoothbore (26" barrel 12ga) and rifled slugs. I've taken deer with 1oz slugs out to just under 100 yards/paces with this setup. A few years ago I put on some magnetic truglo type rifle sights that clip onto the rib. They sure beat aiming with just the front bead and for the money are the best add-on to a smoothbore gun IMHO.

We made up blinds out of hay bails overlooking the fields we hunted. Laying the gun across a bail of hay is as good as a shooting bench. Plus the bails keep the wind off you.

BTW my uncle just mailed me a target he shot with his new H&R ultra slugster. It's a heavy rifled barrel single shot 12ga. At 150 yards the group at the centers was just over the size of my fist! From his letter this seems like the best deal in slug hunting out there. The entire gun is about the same price ($200) as new rifled barrel w/scope mount for a rem 870.

-Mark

19. JeepDriver

JeepDriver

Never hunter deer with buck shot, but I've knocked them off of their feet with slugs. :cool:

The closest shot I've taken with a gun is 7 yards, she droped in her tracks with Remington Rifled Slugs from a 18.5" barrel.

I've taken several with Remington Copper Solid Sabot rounds from my Mossy 500 Trophy (with Rifled barrel), they are fairly accurate out to 100 yards with a rifled barrel and they put deer down in short order.

I don't know that I would want to hunt with Buck Shot even if it was legal. The slugs and barrels that are avaliable make Buck Shot obsolete for hunting, for home defense it's still a great choice

20. noway

noway

{ BTW my uncle just mailed me a target he shot with his new H&R ultra slugster. It's a heavy rifled barrel single shot 12ga. At 150 yards the group at the centers was just over the size of my fist! From his letter this seems like the best deal in slug hunting out there. The entire gun is about the same price ($200) as new rifled barrel w/scope mount for a rem 870.}

(BTW)

The Ithaca Deerslayer & mossberg bolt-action shotgun both exhibits the same grouping size. When I used to live in downstate IL, I ran across 2 brothers that own these shotguns and they could easily nail a 12oz coke can at 100yrds , first shot, all the time , always. Even shooting out to 200yrds the slugs exhibit pretty much consistant accuracy once you dial in the scope due to the HUGHE drop of the slugs.