Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by R. Emmelman, Aug 6, 2007.

1. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

2. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

3. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

And even with all that you'll still be behind fractions of a second because of propagation and internet lag time ;)

The best way is to own your own cesium clock, but the NRC might look down upon you. ;)

4. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

AAAAHHH Don't tell me that! Let me continue on my delusion that I am the master of what time it really is! :supergrin: ;)

Due to the lag time, the first online GMT clocks were worthless IMO, the current ones are pretty darn good. Yes I have sat in front of my computer with my radio tuned to WWV while I played with the online clocks to determine the (then) considerable internet/software lag time.

I am a time geek. I have seriously lost count of the number of time cubes, and shortwave radios I have owned and borrowed all for the primary purpose of listening to WWV. My obsession is such that my wife gave me the clock shown in my earlier post. I was so touched as I did not even ask for it - I love it! ...But I have not the heart to tell her that I have discovered that the clock mechanism has a short lag and it actually bothers me every time I look at it. Dang! I really wanted an accurate analog clock! Dang I am weird!

It is pitiful the number of arguments I have had with co-workers and others about WWV/GMT standard vs phone company time. Typical (exaggerated) conversation with co-worker: Coworker: "I called the phone company's time number and you are wrong" Me: "No the #$%!Q# phone company is wrong, who would be stupid enough to take their word for it - WWV/GMT is the only standard you can rely upon!" ;) Okay I did not curse or call my co-worker stupid. But I wanted to! I really did!

With David Hahn back in the news again, your suggestion makes me wonder why he wanted to make a nuclear reactor, when he could have made something really useful, like a cesium clock! ;) Hey I wonder if I could make their own cesium clock? :devilish:

As if anyone reading this have not already guessed, I really hate being late to appointments. :rofl:

I have to go, there are some men in white coats at my door! [​IMG]