Glock Talk banner

Does any one else?????

1446 Views 28 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Sigobsessed
Does anyone else like to paint the front sight of your carry gun a bright color so that it really stands out. I got into the habit of painting mine yellow for matches. Before I knew it I painted the front sight on my carry guns as well and love it. I can get sight alignment so much faster because that front sight just jumps out at me. Anyone else do this also?
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,244 Posts
I use fiberoptics front sights against Dawson black sights for my match guns, so same thing basically.. Having a contrast between the rear and the front sights helps in faster target acquisition.

Second gun is set up with night sights, have not found contrasting colors for the VP and can't paint the nights sights but I don't use those often.

· On the day of your birth death began stalking you
10,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Make no mistake my carry guns have night sights on them. But I use a super fine brush to paint the front sight blade around the tritium insert. Makes the sight pop of a day and of course glow at night.

· ****** Viejo
32,889 Posts
Any gun that doesn't have night sights on gets the front sight painted bright orange. tom. :cool:

ETA only exceptions are brass front beads.

· Banned
1,512 Posts
I actually have Trijicon HDs, which have colored front sight posts. I've heard of marking standard sights, though, to help focus on the front sight post. There is a Navy SEAL who teaches doing this very thing.

· Registered
4,541 Posts
For precision shooting all those bright dots actually distract from precision alignment of sights as aligning the dots does NOT equal aligned sights - sometimes when dots are aligned it places the front sight too high or low in the rear notch results in shots not going where you want it. Give me plain black sights for matches dots can help for very close range defensive flash sight pictures but beyond about 10 yards ignoring the dots will give far more precision than using them

· Banned
28,198 Posts
I recall the need to black out the front sight post on our issue weapons not make them shinier. I don't recall exactly why at the present time.

· Registered
16,885 Posts
Every one of my handguns has either white or orange paint on both the front sight and a very thin outline on the top of the rear, if they didn't come with either fiber optics or 3 dot sights. It is the only way I can see them and the target, if focusing on the target black sights go away, if focusing on the front sight have no idea what I'm shooting at.

· Registered
131,451 Posts
Does anyone else like to paint the front sight of your carry gun a bright color so that it really stands out. I got into the habit of painting mine yellow for matches. Before I knew it I painted the front sight on my carry guns as well and love it. I can get sight alignment so much faster because that front sight just jumps out at me. Anyone else do this also?
I never paint sights, but I do love a red or green FO front sight. I've got several handguns with them.

· Banned
28,198 Posts
Every one of my handguns has either white or orange paint on both the front sight and a very thin outline on the top of the rear, if they didn't come with either fiber optics or 3 dot sights. It is the only way I can see them and the target, if focusing on the target black sights go away, if focusing on the front sight have no idea what I'm shooting at.
That may be a training issue. You should definitely be focusing on the front sight not the target.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.