close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Does an FFL need my SSN?

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by txjeep, Jan 9, 2004.

1. txjeep

txjeep

I'm buying a pistol through an FFL. I am always concerned about giving out my SSN. Will the FFL need it?

edit: I'm in TX

Thanks!

2. SwampDruid

SwampDruid Demon Doctor

The Yellow form you fill out says SSN is OPTIONAL. I've purchased several handguns from FFLs without giving mine.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It is optional but IMO you chances of delay seem to go up. Or maybe most folks who don't give number have similar name to others? I sad to say give it.

4. striderglock

striderglock HVACR

I never give it, they don't need anything more than what is required. I have a chl though, so I never wait. Who cares? You wait three days then pick up your gun.

5. txjeep

txjeep

Thanks for the tips everyone.

6. kilroy2721

kilroy2721

I am a FFL and I am always getting people asking me if they need to put it down, I just tell them it optional, and that I never do it with mine. I just as soon they don't put it down. When I call it in, the FDLE doesn't even ask for it.

7. SMUNK

SMUNK Detached Member

I never put mine down. But I've gotta wait ten days anyway. So it goes in this peoples republic.

8. ExNavyInHouston

ExNavyInHouston PashnOfTheGlock

I just had my interview and site inspection for my FFL and the BATF official said it is OPTIONAL.

He said it is only there to make life easier for you if you have a common name (Joe Smith) or have the same name as a previous person of "trouble."

Some other myths ... abbreviations: He said you can use abreviations. Funny enough, next time you look at the address block you will see the ATF used one with No. (for street number). The point of the rule is to avoid making up your own abbreviations or using unconventional versions.

This may seem nuts to some of you, but I can assure you in Texas dealers act like you have "sinned against the father" if you write TX instead of spelling out Texas.

Another good sign, the agent who did my inspection and training was happy at the idea of the Assault Weapon Ban sunsetting and even joked about being a "Jack Booted Thug" ... attitudes must improve when your boss is no longer Janet Reno.

Navy