Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start stocking up on ammo, as I have found quite a bit for cheap at a local shop. Just curious, does ammunition go bad over a period of time? If so...how long is ammo usually "good" for?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I would like to start stocking up on ammo, as I have found quite a bit for cheap at a local shop. Just curious, does ammunition go bad over a period of time? If so...how long is ammo usually "good" for?
As long as it is stored in a moisture free enviroment, it will be good for many, many years. I would recommend storing it in ammo cans with a few packets of dissectant (moisture absorbing packets) inside. There are many guys shooting ammo from the 40's that are still going bang. Just as long as you treat it right, it will work.

·
Registered
231 Posts
As long as it is stored in a moisture free enviroment, it will be good for many, many years. I would recommend storing it in ammo cans with a few packets of dissectant (moisture absorbing packets) inside. There are many guys shooting ammo from the 40's that are still going bang. Just as long as you treat it right, it will work.
pointnopoint is right, as long as it's stored in a cool dry place, it will last decades. Me and my brother went through about 1,400rds of Turk 8x57 milsurp ammo from the 30's without a hitch. I don't think we even had so much as a hangfire. The ammo looked like it was made yesterday, so the Turks must have packed and stored their ammo very well.

G20gunner:wavey:

·
Go Sooners!
130 Posts
I wondered about a box of .22 longs I had bought about 20 years ago and recently found in the bottom of a drawer. Just bought a Ruger Mark III and took the box to the range. Every single shell fired perfectly.

·
Federal Member
30,017 Posts
As long as ammo is kept cool and dry, it will out last you.

:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts