·
Why so serious?
65,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I knew about beer and ciders.
Everything else has been a lie my whole life.

Reactions: TBO

·
Values. Can't be bought.
13,137 Posts
I gotta wonder at what point tequila won't make her clothes fall off.

"Tequila degrades quickly (as do I when I drink it) when it’s opened, so you’re going to want to drink it in the first two months after you crack it open to avoid oxidation and evaporation."

·
Registered
32,347 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Not really much that I didn't know already. Ya can't store beer forever. And, once opened, you should finish your wine/vodka/whiskey in a reasonable time.

·
I don't even know....what I'm doing here....
9,063 Posts
My wife’s cousin had done quite well for himself very early in life, and about 20 years ago, in his mid 30’s, he built a beautiful home with a budget of 1.5 million dollars.

It had all the cool things like a theater room, a small gymnasium, and a wine cellar. In his business at the time, he entertained frequently, so when his home was completed, he promptly placed an order for as many of the finest wines as necessary to fill that wine cellar. If memory serves, he spent about $20,000 on wine alone.

Fast forward 15 years, and we caught up to talk about things we always used to talk about, and he mentioned that he had an unexpected experience. He was winding down his career, and started to work on some of that wine. He was a little humbled in that he now had a cellar that was largely filled with vinegar.

Many of them were just fine, of course, be he wanted to drive home a point. “Enjoy it all while you can”, he said with a smile.

·
****** Viejo
29,569 Posts
Damn, thanks to this thread I threw 3/4 bottle of Tequila down the drain. This during the PA State Store closures. tom. :steamed:

Reactions: Taco Junkie

·
Read Only
0 Posts
With whiskey, you have maybe two years from when you open it, half a bottle lasts half a year. Quarter bottle, well just have a bigger pour and finish it. It's all about how much air is in the bottle. At least that's what I remembered.

·
Registered
14,338 Posts
My wife’s cousin had done quite well for himself very early in life, and about 20 years ago, in his mid 30’s, he built a beautiful home with a budget of 1.5 million dollars.

It had all the cool things like a theater room, a small gymnasium, and a wine cellar. In his business at the time, he entertained frequently, so when his home was completed, he promptly placed an order for as many of the finest wines as necessary to fill that wine cellar. If memory serves, he spent about $20,000 on wine alone.

Fast forward 15 years, and we caught up to talk about things we always used to talk about, and he mentioned that he had an unexpected experience. He was winding down his career, and started to work on some of that wine. He was a little humbled in that he now had a cellar that was largely filled with vinegar.

Many of them were just fine, of course, be he wanted to drive home a point. “Enjoy it all while you can”, he said with a smile.
Wow, that would be a serious disappointment.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,590 Posts
With whiskey, you have maybe two years from when you open it, half a bottle lasts half a year. Quarter bottle, well just have a bigger pour and finish it. It's all about how much air is in the bottle. At least that's what I remembered.
the only that that harms hard liquor is evaporation

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
My ex wife wanted to keep a "good selection" of liquor on hand. Most of it is now 25 years old. Most of it has only had a few drinks per bottle. And none of it was cheap. Since I don't drink, I don't know if any of it is still any good.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
16,590 Posts
Air will oxidize hard liquor. Light will degrade it also. You can pour your booze into a smaller bottle to limit the exposure, but why not just enjoy it within a reasonable time frame.
So if you don't know how old it is just throw it out is you way of thinking

1 - 20 of 42 Posts