Does 7 seem slower than Vista?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OKgetdown, Feb 10, 2010.

1. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Uninformed biased opinion.

2. MidWestShooter

MidWestShooter

I have had nothing but success with Windows 7. So much so, that I upgraded all of my family to it. Some of those required new computers. If you're going to get Win7 get 64bit. I spent $625 (that price includes Win7 and Office 2007) on a new computer from newegg and the thing is fast! I love it.

3. kiole

kiole

Yes apple is great and all until you have a problem which based of my experience you will. I have had PC laptops of all brands, and desktops. I hand these computers downs to family members and friends and they last 5-10years. This seems to be the norm and if something goes wrong especially on a desktop I am able to replace the part cheaply.

Now onto apple, I first bought an IMAC when they first came out many years ago wow that thing sucked, memory issues, and it constantly crashed. I ended up returning it 7months later with no questions asked because i can tell you I wasn't the only one with an issue. Then in 2006 i purchased a Macbook Pro and let me tell you OSX is awsome..but the reliability of my macbook was less then stellar. Firstly the logic board went in 6 months, after that was fixed the cd drive went a few weeks later. Then my LCD and Logic board went out 5 months after the first logic board broke. It was then replaced it worked fine for 8-10 months then the super drive went again. Then lastly the logic board went 3 months ago and i ended up scrapping it for parts on ebay. Luckily for me even as a parts machine i was able to make enough off it to buy a Mac MINI.

I buy Apple simple because Its required for the industry I'm in other wise i'd stick with a nice desktop PC. The operating system is good but now with windows 7 for me it's about equal. Apple is has closed hardware environment which has no positives except for the high price of parts.

I appreciate the design of Apple and the simplistic operating system which doesn't attempt to over due things, it just does it right.

The issue i have is the quality of their computers especially for the price and warranty they provide. Every person i know who has owned a mac highly recommends the extended warranty because these computer have a way of breaking on the 13th month of ownership. Every person i known has had an issue with their superdrive in their laptops, and most have had a logic board failure.

The new Imac's are amazing but i will never buy one because the major screen issues they have been having. I can't imagine the cost to repair those 27"inch screens out of warranty.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

It sounds like you need to download and install NIC drivers, what is the make and model of the laptop?

5. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

I went from Xp to 7, and back to XPsp3.

6. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Make up your mind, would ya?

:tongueout:

7. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Win 7 is faster than Vista, period.

8. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

win 7 takes some time to adjust to the new pc just give it a few weeks it should speed up. If you upgraded that could be the problem i would do a clean install if i were you.

9. CoreyR

CoreyR

He's complaining about Bill Gates and how Windows sucks, meanwhile it's a pebcac problem. :rofl:

10. ChrisVV

ChrisVV American

11. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

7 on my computer has had 8 blue screen of deaths/freeze Vista had none. Yes it seems slower.

12. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

Update:

The speed of both my computers seem to have picked back up to normal today.

Maybe it wasnt 7 at all?:dunno:

13. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

Guaranteed hardware/driver issue.

14. CWBarbie

CWBarbie

this. I got a new laptop with Windows 7...........it kicks booooooooty!

15. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

I got all of the problems worked out, and 7 has had several overnite updates since I last posted.
    Guess what, unless somthing miraculous happens, 7 will be the slowest computer I've had since Win95. Even after the full install.
    It now takes about 3-5 minutes to boot up just to get to the windows screen. Vista was about 30 seconds, usually less.

I'm still working with it, so cross your fingers.

Sgt, the laptop is an HP G60-441(Im going from memory, its not in front of me). Thanks for your offer to help. Hopefully I have everything under control now. I tried to PM, but I couldnt keep the cursor from floating and clicking everywhere on the screen. I think the batteries in the det. mouse may be dying.

Rod

16. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

I did a quick search and that laptop appears to be a 2 GHz with around 3GB of RAM, it should be booting in seconds not 3 - 5 minutes ... unless you did an upgrade and not a clean install.

17. inthefrey

inthefrey Moved on...

Are we talking Windows 7Pro 64Bit?

18. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

We bought a new computer and it came with Windows 7 in 64bit. I had XP for years on my old PC and I really liked XP. I'm still getting us to Windows 7. To me XP was faster, but the new computer has Norton Antivirus installed on it and I believe that's why it runs a bit slower. Overall no problems with Windows 7. I like it so far and with some practice will get use to the new OS.

19. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

I really dig your avatar!!

20. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

I wonder if Norton may have got reinstalled during the install?? I dont know if it would affect anything anyway, and I am using avast 5.0. I'll check and get rid of that awful virus of a program.

Sgt., there was a HP download last nite,, and I havent rebooted it yet to know. I'll try it this afternoon and let you know if it is till slow.
    BTW, I like the Incredibles dude in your avatar as well. The last scene in the movie where the baby erupts into flames. I fell off the couch laughing the first time I saw that. My li'l girl thought I was crazy!

Rod