Does 7 seem slower than Vista?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OKgetdown, Feb 10, 2010.

1. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

I recently upgraded to 7. This may be all in my head, but it dont seem to run as fast. Particularly on my laptop. Its not drastically slower, just a little bit.

There is plenty of memory left, so thats not it.

Anyone else notice this, or am I nuts?

2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Maybe clean out all of the junk in your temp files and defrag?

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

My old laptop had Vista Home Basic with 1/2 gig of RAM. I thought I would be burning up the 'Net with 7 Premium and 3 gig RAM. Seems slower to me. And it locks up at least once a day. :steamed:

4. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

So you too, huh.

5. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

i cleaned up the laptop.

The desktop was about 3 days old when I put 7 on.

Note: Desktop had Vista because the computer is actually a couple of months old. But I just hooked it up the other day. So not much on it.

6. UTKEngineer

UTKEngineer

Tagged for others responses. I thought 7 was supposed to be the bomb. I finally got Vista to work. May forgo upgrading if 7 is showing problems. Of course, I normally don't upgrade till after the first SP anyway...

7. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

For the record I had no problems with Vista. Some features I didnt really care for, but no actual problems.

Ive only had 7 for several days. I havent really formed a real opinion yet. It just seems slightly slower on both computers.

8. TrybalRage

TrybalRage

Did you do a full install or an upgrade?

9. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

Upgrade

10. RioKid

RioKid

Yep, I am having the same problem.

11. m4arc

m4arc

I did a full install on two laptops with 4GB of RAM each and Windows 7 has been awesome. Of course I never had any problems with Vista but Windows 7 is much faster.

12. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Processor speed and RAM have very little to do with Internet speed, if you want to browse the net faster, you'll have to pay for a faster internet connection.

A clean Install is always the best as it prevents any old garbage from ruining your new Windows 7 installation.

13. schild

schild

The best way to fix all your problems is found at the Apple store.:whistling:

14. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Make sure you check all boxes when doing disk clean up. Also run Spy Bot Search & Destroy which is free and works great:wavey:
    http://sd-net.com/

If your running Fire-Fox I have a great tweak to get her faster. Follow these steps to the letter. I did this and I see a nice difference in browser response.
    http://video.techrepublic.com.com/2422-14075_11-318243.html

15. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

I have Window XP, Windows 7, and Vista. Vista is crap. XP is just slightly better. Windows 7 is the stuff!! My computer guy ran it all down for me. He has windows 7 on alll his computers and Avast anti virus.

That's all I need to know.

16. keeper85

keeper85

I've used Apples and did like them but I can not bring myself to pay close to double for a similar computer.

17. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Honestly, anyone claiming the W7 is slower than Vista on the same machine must have upgraded from Vista to W7 and hoped it would get faster.

W7 is dramatically pared down code compared to Vista, it is optimized to run on the very same hardware as WXP and it handles resources better than both of them. The preceding is a professional technical evaluation, not conjecture.

If your machine is actually running slower than before the possible reasons are legion but, I'd be willing to bet it all started with an upgrade disk.

You can't make your pinto faster by dumping all the parts from a Ferrari in the engine compartment and closing the hood. Start fresh, back up your data and load W7 all by it's lonesome, it's a matter of night and day.

Also, when you upgrade you leave all of the buggy little glitches behind that you had been dealing with on your PC. Sometimes that's no big deal, sometimes it's a nightmare to figure out and fix.

18. jr05

jr05

I would also recommend a fresh install. I have been running 7 for a couple months on my budget laptop (T4300 and 3GB ram) and it has been excellent. If you are having issues with 7 on the same computer Vista worked well on, it is not the operating system. I would guess there are some issues created from upgrading instead of a fresh install.

Format the computer and do a fresh install then get back to us on how you actually like Windows 7.

19. OKgetdown

OKgetdown Dumb Ape

I didnt think it would be any faster. I thought it would be the same.

Hell, it may not even be my OS. It may be something with my provider or something else . Its only a little slower.

20. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Are you saying your internet is slower or are you saying your operating system is slower?