close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dodge Ram Tranny linkage quastion?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by JuneyBooney, Feb 18, 2010.

1. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Well guys, tonight an assclown in a Toyota came into my lane and I swerved to avoid crushing his little car in my 01 Ram but when I swerved I hit a snowbank on a curb. It jarred the crap out of me and knocked the tranny into neutral from drive. The truck seems to drive ok but I guess I will have to have it aligned but the key is hard to get out of the ignition now and the lock on the steering wheel won't lock. So I guess the linkage is bent or something. Does anyone know if this is a cable or a rod on these trucks? I guess the next time I should just run the bonehead over and be done with it. :supergrin: I have to say that this has been the poorest snow removal process I have ever seen in the entire Dc area. Pretty bad...especially when it messes up my vehicle. :crying:

2. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Sorry to hear that, JB - are you sure that Toyota wasn't accelerating out of control?! :supergrin:

kestrou

3. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ive never found that dodge columns really do lock,

they just kinda wiggle back and forth a little ways to each side,

and also with the key problem, try turning the wheel just a tad to each side until the key is easy to take out ..

what your describing is just normal dodge symptoms ..

4. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Now it could have been doing that. :rofl:

5. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

You may be right on the wheel but it worked fine 'til I hit the snow at 40 mph. I guess I will crawl under it in the morning and see what it looks like. The key comes out hard if I move the wheel. I hope it is nothing too bad. If I had bene in one of those Toyotas I may have been killed by acceleration or steering problems. :whistling:

6. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Would this have happened if you were driving a car his size? Trucks will always lose when playing car games. HH

7. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

Actually we would have hit because I would have not been able to move. I just hate to f my truck up. :crying:

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

It's a rod linkage in your truck, at least it is in my 94', 99' & 00'. As far as the colum locking.... The brake shift interlock never has worked in any of my dodges and I like it that way.

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

not really sure what to tell you other than just get under there and look for something out of whack,

depending on how fast your going you could have damaged your front axle and or suspension components up there,

not really sure what hollow head is trying to say,

but when truck goes against car generally the truck drives away, and the car is towed away on the back of a truck ..

10. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I came pretty close to running the guy over but I hit that bank instead. The four wheel drive works ok. I guess I will have to take it and get her looked at in the morning just to be sure she is ok. I agree about most cars losing when it comes to collisions...size matters not only in the bedroom but on the streets. :supergrin: My rear pinion seal is leaking so I guess it is just something else to check.

11. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

rear diff leaks are quite common on all dodges of this make ..

real quick and easy fix if its leaking from the cover,

if its from the area where the drive meets the universal thats a little harder,

what i would do though,

is get the truck on the highway get it up to around 75 and see if it feels different than normal,

also go onto a dirt road or someplace where you can get it in 4x4 and see if it feels different, also try turning , not just going in straight line,

also is it a 1500-2500-3500 ? and what engine / trans combo ?

12. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

P/U's do not excel in the snow, especially when trying to stop. HH

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It is a 318 1500 and so far it has felt normal but I am a bit concerned just because the key comes out gard and the tranny went into neutral. Auto trans. The pinion is leaking up front where the u joint attaches. The rear differential cover looks fine. It is the only thing I have been driving with all the snow..haven't even bothered to dig the other cars out. I will drive it in a few hours and even crawl under her and have a look.

14. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I have never had a problem in four wheel drive. I carry weight in the rear to make sure I don't get stuck. I almost hit two black dudes the other night..they walked out in front of me wearing all black and not in a crosswalk. I stopped right before I hit them so I guess p/u stop ok. :supergrin: But I am knocking on wood right now.

15. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ive never had a problem in snow ..

but then again its just as much driver as it is machine,

as people spent hours digging there cars out of the snow we just had,

i put my truck in drive and went on my merry way,

16. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

not to mention, i really dont see to much of "plow cars"

17. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

I don't know why little "plow cars" are not required to stay home during snow. :supergrin: They sure mess up the road when they get stuck.